• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
You might want to try mastic gum. It has been shown in studies to be at least as effective as abx for treating h. pylori.

I've seen it mentioned. But does the same question arise as with limonene? Am I going to screw up my other microbes by taking an anti-bacterial (I think that's what it is)?

I think I was mistaken in thinking that d-limonene is necessarily anti-bacterial. Its mechanism of action doesn't appear to be known (not convinced I'm searching well):

adreno

PR activist
I've seen it mentioned. But does the same question arise as with limonene? Am I going to screw up my other microbes by taking an anti-bacterial (I think that's what it is)?
I can't find any clear data on that. I wouldn't be too worried about it though. If it has a negative effect it is likely nothing compared to taking abx. Some even claim it has prebiotic effects.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I can't find any clear data on that. I wouldn't be too worried about it though. If it has a negative effect it is likely nothing compared to taking abx. Some even claim it has prebiotic effects.

Thanks for looking!

I don't even know if I've got h pylori at this point - just guessing from what Chris Kresser says - but by the time I get a gastro consult it could be months (if I'm even going to be given an NHS referral). And even then, I don't know what approach an NHS gastro would take - the first thing my GP wanted was for me to go onto a month of PPIs. :eek:

Feeling very much on my own with this very frightening situation (frightening because of the prospect of losing my PS-based improvement). :cry:

Wondering how long this problem will take to fix - some people talk about it taking years on a low-carb diet to fix SIBO/GERD (again, if that's what I've got).

adreno

PR activist
I don't even know if I've got h pylori at this point - just guessing from what Chris Kresser says
GERD can also be caused by histamine. You might have too many histamine producing bacteria, or some kind of allergic reaction. H2 blockers are used for GERD.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
GERD can also be caused by histamine. You might have too many histamine producing bacteria, or some kind of allergic reaction. H2 blockers are used for GERD.

Is there an accepted way to get diagnosed for histamine? Or a plan of action that doesn't involve H2 blockers?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
@Sasha, are you taking anything else that can cause ulcers like NSAID painkillers (ibuprofen, diclofenac etc.)?

No. :(

I'd been taking calcium carbonate for three months (recommended by a dietician) and I've read that they reduce acidity in the stomach. I'm wondering if the cumulative effect of that was enough to let h. pylori go nuts.

Sidereal

No. :(

I'd been taking calcium carbonate for three months (recommended by a dietician) and I've read that they reduce acidity in the stomach. I'm wondering if the cumulative effect of that was enough to let h. pylori go nuts.

Why calcium carbonate?

Sidereal

At the same time as the calcium (about three months ago) and I also stopped that about a week ago (just in case).

I can't imagine what a few months of this would do but our ME is of similar severity and after a day or two of supplementing LAB I feel as though a hole has been burned in my GI tract in addition to other hell-like symptoms.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I can't imagine what a few months of this would do but our ME is of similar severity and after a day or two of supplementing LAB I feel as though a hole has been burned in my GI tract in addition to other hell-like symptoms.

I was on a quarter-sachet for three months with no problem (more gave me migraines, but lots of things do).

I can't understand where this has come from. I don't have any history of heartburn.