• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Safest supplements (and also PMDD) - where to start

Hi guys,

I'm curious about what might be considered safer bets, without a big risk of making things worse. Obviously, everyone will be different, but still..
Some random points:

- I experienced a couple remissions previously, and episodes with mild, but I tried 100s of therapies and supplements, so have no idea what did it, unfortunately. Now I am trying a more systematic approach.

- I first experienced gastritis when I was 14 (now 35) and many symptoms started then. I also had a microbiome test recently, which revealed all sorts of gut dysbiosis.

- OAT in 2020 revealed high oxalates, high tartaric acid, high uric acid and slightly impaired mito. I am worse since then, though.

- I know that I had mono in 2007 and was then diagnosed with fibro. EBV titres were high in 2009 and IgM was also high, but that's all I know. Also had tonsillitis and recurring cold sores (herpes simplex) since age 2. My last bout of me/cfs also started with a cold sore. I was born preterm and had many complications from birth, was not breast fed, etc - makes me wonder further about my microbiome.

- I started to experience severe PMDD in 2017 and that's when things really went downhill. At the time, my symptoms were mostly emotional (but extreme) during luteal phase, and in 2018 my ex partner and I both started to experience hundreds of other symptoms at the time (I suspected mold or Lyme. Maybe mold, and when we moved, we did improve significantly).

- I think that methylation protocols always exacerbated symptoms, but perhaps it's an indicator that it's an avenue I need to pursue and just take it slow. Methylation tests did reveal issues, and also low copper and ceruloplasmin.

- Nowadays, my symptoms are 100x worse during ovulation and then luteal phase. During ovulation itself I feel very anxious and get insomnia, and then crash for a few days. Then I feel a bit better again (not great, but more functional), and then for 7 days before my period I cannot function at all - extreme fatigue, extreme reactions to food (esp histamine), air hunger, anxiety, insomnia. I also have UTIs before my period, every single time. I took DIM and calcium d-glucarate on a whim a few years ago, and it helped, but back then I had clear symptoms of high estrogen, including breast tenderness and acne. It helped and also helped to lose weight. I was also diagnosed with PCOS in 2006 and was on Yaz birth control and then spironolactone. Perhaps this is what caused the earlier "remissions". I am tempted to try progesterone oil, but am not sure. This is where the dilemma comes in..

- I have limited funds, but may be able to afford one or two tests, depending on the tests. I don't know whether to have a Dutch cycle mapping test, to see what's happening with hormones, since it's a huge part of things for me. I feel completely normal and my best when my period starts. On the other hand, there must be a deeper root cause to the hormonal issues.

- Not diagnosed with POTS (not had the test), but my heart rate shoots up to 150-200 upon walking a few steps. BP is 110/70 but varies a lot, but not super low. I don't feel dizzy or have issues being upright (apart from the fatigue), but I feel out of breath if I walk.

- Last bout of exacerbation of symptoms was in early 2020, following an injury - perhaps vagus nerve is pinched? Not sure what to do. Also a ton of viral infections, but I think it was the injury which first led to the worsening.

- Had extreme vaginal discharge for months (very extreme), but tried a couple of probiotics for two weeks and it went away and has not returned. Interesting. I also had a sexual encounter around the time of that injury and suspect I may have contracted something, and that's when the UTIs first started.

- In general, i feel like there might be stealth infections. Should the priority to be to test for these? Is it risky to just trial antivirals without first testing? Perhaps this is a stupid question, but do many people try antivirals themselves, because they are cheap to order?

- I analysed my microbiome results with Prescription Microbiome site and the top recommendations are for some antivirals, and also an antibiotic for UTIs. Their algorithm also predicts POTS, PCOS etc for me.

- If funds are limited, which tests are best?

- ANA was positive and speckled. Vit D low, ferritin low, B12 high

- I was on PPIs in 2010-2014 and then isotretinoin in 2015 :(

- Recently started methylation protocol and also thiamine, and a few days later, had headaches, IBS symptoms (don't usually have) and extreme muscular tension. Perhaps I was low in potassium? I stopped yesterday and today took some potassium. Perhaps it's the avenue I should explore next. In 2021 I felt great for a few months and was taking B1 (as TTFD), following some crazy months, but I also ended up in a new location, with a different climate (hot and humid). Who knows, but it's a clue.

- I have access to LDN and perhaps I should try it again, but don't have much hope for it. I tried for a week a few months ago and ended up feeling out of control and with SI, which is not usual for me, but could have been unrelated

- My thoughts are - methylation, something to do with injury (also have a pelvic twist and severe neck pain since the injury, and feel that there must be a correlation to the dysautonomia, but what is best to for now?), stealth infections, hormones. Where to start in the most cost effective way? I'm in the UK.

- I would like to be able to work (I have my own business - but haven't worked in a long time) and then earn enough money to pay for other tests and therapies.

- I changed my diet to low carb (but not keto - tried that last year) AIP and don't get extreme food reactions now, but don't feel like energy baseline is higher...although it hasn't been long. Perhaps I'm impatient.
- Tried an H1 histamine and not much difference.

- Lately, rather than always feeling somewhat unwell, I have days of feeling really great, followed by days of feeling horrific. Either I have days of feeling great, then start working and get so activated in the evening that I can't calm down and sleep (sometimes feel euphoric, sometimes stressed, but always feel "cured"), so the lack of sleep impacts me the following day, or I feel pretty okay (but still housebound) and then during ovulation and before period feel like I am dying - I don't think it's just PEM of regular fatigue and symptoms, but usually a poisoned feeling and that something is very wrong, usually have the UTI then, low grade fever or feeling feverish but no fever, higher pulse, etc. May also be oxalate dumping around that time?

- I recently got a vagus nerve stimulator (Amofit S+) and used it for a minute here and there, but not sure. Those days also coincided with headaches, tension, anxiety, but it's when I was taking the B1..Electrolytes help a bit and just ordered some compression wear to see if it helps. I always feel much better when immersed in water. Another point is that my eye tracking difficulties worsen with PEM and it's harder to read and strabismus looks worse. I started postural restoration (with PSI) a couple of times following my injury and they mentioned eye tracking - it all seems like it must be related. Other points that I just remembered are that I had a radiofrequency procedure done on my face years ago and had severe PEM. A massage caused severe, severe PEM and excruciating back pain. I wore an Apple watch for a few months a couple of years ago and it burned my flesh - I have a big indent in my wrist now, and it's not just the top layer of skin that was burned. I suppose I am sensitive to EMFs, which makes me cautious about Amofit and other devices..
Regarding the injury again - I read some recovery stories involving pinched vagus nerve (my shortness of breath started after the fall/injury), jaw alignments and treating craniocervical instability, so..
I also had a strange swollen underarm area (not really lymph node - but did have that for a year when I had the high EBV titres ages ago) when this started in 2020. Perhaps I need to try gentle lymphatic work..

If anyone has any ideas on what might be best to focus on first, it would be much appreciated! Thanks so much.

Last edited:

GreenEdge

Why do you need to supplement? The best supplement is no supplement. I found that after I adopted the proper human diet, I no longer need supplements. Give it some consideration:

Why do you need to supplement? The best supplement is no supplement. I found that after I adopted the proper human diet, I no longer need supplements. Give it some consideration:

Thanks. That's true. I just added a section at the bottom regarding my injury. It feels like the trick for me is not in a supplement, but perhaps it could help. For instance, taking an antiviral could potentially lead to significant improvement, right?

Carnivore? Did you improve through carnivore alone?

I am eating meat based now (just recently), but with the addition of a couple of fruits (no vegetables or grains). I am weary of trying ketosis and to be fat adapted again, because although it temps me, I tried last year and felt so unwell. I felt great for the first couple of weeks, then felt horrific, weak, GI issues, etc. Perhaps I needed to tweak it further with digestion and electrolytes, but I desperately needed to function. The thing is - I was having some good days and some bad days, whereas it then turned into weeks of just horrific days. I'm not sure if I can risk that right now, even if it's temporary. What do you think of mostly animal-based, but with a couple of fruit for carbs and potentially honey?

My microbiome results showed that the main thing to avoid in my case is "non-starch polysaccharides", which is interesting..

GreenEdge

I started to experience severe PMDD in 2017 and that's when things really went downhill.
About 20 years ago, I remember watching an ABC TV Catalyst episode on PMDD and the solution (if I remember correctly) was taking Prozac for just 1 or 2 days a month - taken just before symptoms start. And because it was only taken briefly each month there were no adverse side effects.

I'm in the UK.
If you live near Liverpool, I'd recommend Dr. David Unwin at the Norwood NHS Surgery in Southport.
Dr. David Unwin, MD, is an award-winning GP known for pioneering the low-carb approach in the UK.

I always feel much better when immersed in water.
Me too. I think the most beneficial exercise for me is wading in chest high water. Attempting to walk straight helps with balance and core strength. For variety I add a bit of swimming and being a whole body exercise that's not too taxing, I think that helps a lot too.

Carnivore? Did you improve through carnivore alone?
Yes, I attribute many improvements to carnivore (eg. constipation, skin health, stress, anxiety, sleep, fat loss, muscle gain, metal clarity). It's subtle, barely noticeable and takes time. I've been doing it now for 2 years and I continue to notice improvements. I've had CFS for 28 years and I'd say it's wound the clock back about 5 years.

What do you think of mostly animal-based, but with a couple of fruit for carbs and potentially honey?
I think the most important thing is to find something you can stick to and continue moving towards low carb, keto, ketovore, carnivore, lion. See: Dr. David Unwin's low carb diet leaflet.

Initially the hardest thing will be breaking your addiction to sugar and carbs. For that, I'd recommend bacon and eggs for breakfast which is near zero carb and will keep you satiated until dinner time. For dinner choose from a variety of meats and low carb vegetables (eg. broccoli, cauliflower).

Fruit and honey are like natures candy. If you continue to eat sweet foods, you will desire sweet foods, which will lead you back to eating processed foods. Also fructose is a concern, see video:

About 20 years ago, I remember watching an ABC TV Catalyst episode on PMDD and the solution (if I remember correctly) was taking Prozac for just 1 or 2 days a month - taken just before symptoms start. And because it was only taken briefly each month there were no adverse side effects.

If you live near Liverpool, I'd recommend Dr. David Unwin at the Norwood NHS Surgery in Southport.
Dr. David Unwin, MD, is an award-winning GP known for pioneering the low-carb approach in the UK.

Me too. I think the most beneficial exercise for me is wading in chest high water. Attempting to walk straight helps with balance and core strength. For variety I add a bit of swimming and being a whole body exercise that's not too taxing, I think that helps a lot too.

Yes, I attribute many improvements to carnivore (eg. constipation, skin health, stress, anxiety, sleep, fat loss, muscle gain, metal clarity). It's subtle, barely noticeable and takes time. I've been doing it now for 2 years and I continue to notice improvements. I've had CFS for 28 years and I'd say it's wound the clock back about 5 years.

I think the most important thing is to find something you can stick to and continue moving towards low carb, keto, ketovore, carnivore, lion. See: Dr. David Unwin's low carb diet leaflet.

Initially the hardest thing will be breaking your addiction to sugar and carbs. For that, I'd recommend bacon and eggs for breakfast which is near zero carb and will keep you satiated until dinner time. For dinner choose from a variety of meats and low carb vegetables (eg. broccoli, cauliflower).

Fruit and honey are like natures candy. If you continue to eat sweet foods, you will desire sweet foods, which will lead you back to eating processed foods. Also fructose is a concern, see video:

Thank you for your reply. I see that you somehow quoted parts of my message. I have a bit too much brain fog to figure out how to do that now, so I hope it's okay if I respond like this.

Thank you for the GP recommendation. I'm not near Liverpool, but it may still be helpful, actually.
May I ask if you're male or female? Did you first feel worse on carnivore before you felt better? I am very tempted. I have been thinking about it again today. Also, I had mentioned fruit, but I have problems with salicylates, histamine, oxalates. Honestly, I feel best when I have just meat and white rice for carbs - white rice is low in lectins, oxalate, histamine, salicylate. Also low in nutrients, haha!

I used to have eggs for breakfast and be starving within 30 minutes. Nowadays, since having lowed carbs in general, I can be okay for a few hours. I want to point out that I do have some very good days here and there. I have days where I feel completely (or almost) normal, so I'm afraid to rock the boat. What if I end up making myself worse, as some with me/cfs have done with carnivore or keto? What if becoming fat adapted is too much stress for my body? When I last tried it for a month in June 2023, I felt amazing for the first 7-10 days or so, but then could barely cope for the remaining couple of weeks. I just could barely function, and as soon as I had carbs, I felt better again. Nowadays, I can feel normal for a couple of hours after food (I mean on a good day and with my usual eggs or rice - safe foods only), but then I am so hungry again and it feels like I'm hypoglycemic, but the glucose monitor shows normal levels. I feel very weak, brain fogged, unable to think or move, and then once I have some carbs, I feel completely normal within minutes.

I have wondered whether my electrolytes were also unbalanced when I was previously carnivore, because I developed severe headaches and muscle pain (different to the usual), but I was afraid of overdosing on potassium. However, I don't think that it was only due to electrolytes, since that is how I often feel in between meals these days. Do you have any thoughts about this? Perhaps I needed to wait longer to become fat adapted, but I just don't know how to stop being afraid of making myself worse. I also have POTS, so I wonder about balancing electrolytes and maintaining blood volume - won't it dehydrate me even more?

I do have PCOS, so that may be a hint that ketosis could be helpful for me. Carnivore would simplify many things for me. I don't desire fruit or honey, by the way. I just don't really know what to eat because I react to so many foods! I can usually get to a place of mild-moderate by eating meat, eggs and rice (as well as plenty of other things. If I consume other foods, I become moderate-severe), so I know that food affects me. The question is whether my body can switch to burning fat for fuel..

Re PMDD - I've heard of Prozac being used throughout the luteal phase only, and not month-long, but not for just a couple of days. I will investigate a bit further, thanks.

Thank you so much again.

@GreenEdge I just experimented again. Well, I can't call it an experiment, really, but today is a relatively good day for me, yet I was starting to feel shaky, dizzy, strange and panicked again. I just ate a tiny bit of carbs and it's like the light came on again - my head is switched on and not in a complete fog. I noticed that I feel this way a lot more during luteal phase, and usually I become severe during luteal phase anyway. I suppose if I could not have to rely on continuous glucose/carbs, that would be great. But what could it mean for my glucose utilisation if my glucose levels are fine, yet I feel this way? I noticed also that I feel good only if my glucose levels are a bit on the higher end. On ketovore, they were always low-medium normal. Stable, but a bit on the lower side, and it constantly felt like they need to be a just higher. Perhaps I'm not making much sense now?

GreenEdge

I see that you somehow quoted parts of my message.
Highlight the text you want to respond to and 2 buttons appear, [ + Quote ] is used to store multiple quotes that are then inserted later via [ Insert quotes… ] button located near bottom left corner of text editor.

You seem to know that food is a major trigger for you.

IMHO all the conditions you mention are very much influenced by diet and I know carnivore can cure all of them because I've seen others with the same conditions get better with carnivore lifestyle.

Last edited:

GreenEdge

Did you first feel worse on carnivore before you felt better?
The first 2 weeks are the most difficult. I can coach you through it, and by day 45 you will be able to trust your own instincts and be okay on your own from then on. Contact me via private message if you would like that.

I've been carnivore for 2 years and I continue to notice improvements. I know people who have been doing it much longer than me and they say the improvements don't stop.

I'm not a doctor so I can't post medical advice here.