• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nurosym Vagus Nerve Stimulation Device

Pendergast

Spain
https://nurosym.com/

Hi! 😊 Does anybody know about this stuff?
It's quite expensive I think (699€) although it has a 30 day return policy.

It seems to have some scientific backgrownd and testimonials...

Supposedly it works for ME, Long Covid, Lyme, Depression...and go on...

Anybody has used it?

Last edited:

Pendergast

Spain
Thanks @Judee !

I searched it before posting but did it wrong, I put "Neurosym" 😅 so I didn't find that thread.

I apologize and please feel free the admins to delete this thread! 🙏🤗

Wishful

The problem with "some scientific background" is that it's very easy to choose to show just the facts that help sell a device or service. Before I invested significant money, I'd want to hear other sides of the argument. Are the claims supported by credible studies? Are they supported by large studies with quantifiable results, or small studies with results from questionnaires (easy to manipulate)?

There does seem to be some evidence that stimulating the vagus nerve can affect immune function and probably other body processes, but there's usually a big difference between scientific studies and gadgets sold based on still poorly understood scientific findings. There are plenty of unethical people who target people who are desperate for a treatment for their medical problems. I'd also check the details of the return policy, in case there are some clauses that make it almost impossible to get a refund (Return the device in original packaging in person to our office in a tiny village in Tibet.)

There are probably some cases where a genuine treatment is delayed by regulatory foot-dragging, but a lot more cases where official approval is refused because it fails to show results in controlled testing.

Wishful

I came across this article: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/04/240423113133.htm

"Existing devices are effective, but lack the necessary precision needed for some applications, such as cochlear implants or vagus nerve stimulators.

"There are several neurostimulation devices on the market -- some are already FDA-approved for patient trials, some are pending approval," said author Renata Saha. "But each of them has one caveat -- they stimulate a large population of neurons, including neighboring cells that are not supposed to be stimulated. The medical device industry is in search of a device or technique that can stimulate neurons at a single-cell resolution.""

That's an example of selecting only the desired facts from research. Vagus nerve stimulation may show results in labs, but the devices offered on the market don't match the capabilities of the lab's equipment. The lab might use inserted micro-electrodes, rather than convenient stick-on skin electrodes. I wouldn't be surprised if some scammer offered stick-on (large) coils, quoting appropriate parts of a proper study, such as "magnetic coils" but leaving out the micro part and the inserted part.

Finding the truth in marketing claims can be tricky. Students would be better off with classes in how to read marketing claims than classes in memorizing who ruled which country hundreds of years ago. Courses in rational thinking would be helpful too.