• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is tryptophan good for us?

Aerose91

Buhner recommends it in his lyme book as well as Dr McBride in the GAPS book. I have taken it plenty of times in the past and been fine but tonight I took some (haven't in a while) cuz I e been sleeping poorly and I'm having uncommon anxiety along with more blunted effect in emotions. Not sure if its tryptophan related or not, I also spent more energy than normal today but that doesn't usually make me feel like this. Do people here take it? Isn't it low in M.E. people?

FWIW. I looked and my IDO1 has no SNP's. Thats good, right? I saw a few mentions of that in relation to tryptophan.

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I'm not sure but I know that it sets off my IBS horribly. Kurt (another PR member) also has been trying to lower his levels and says he is improving as a result. (You can find a series of his blogs in the blog link at the top of the page where he talks about this.)

Other PWME may have a different perspective.

Aerose91

I'm really worried I may have done some damage with taking this, although I did expend more energy today than normal. I'm not sure what it is. If the tryptophan screwed my brain up and caused this weird crash, it will bounce back, right?

I take tryptophan without any noticeable issues. It not only affects the neurotransmitters it can also be converted into vitamin b3. I also take Vit B3. Some people seem to also have problems with B3 as well.

What suits one person will often not suit another.

Pearshaped

I used 5-HTP several times and felt worse every time.It took me a while to realise that its obviously just not for me.
I did not try tryptophan though.
I became jittery, very nervous and had palpitations.
Does the Metabolc trap theory suggest we benefit from tryptophan?

Pearshaped

it took me usually a day,sometimes two.
Maybe its the tryptophan AND the PEM since you said you were more active as usual.
I hope you recover soon.

Aerose91

Thank you. This is pretty significant so I'm a little worried. I didnt sleep last night though so maybe I didnt get a chance to heal. I just heard about this tryptophan thing though so it has made me a little nervous

andyguitar

I only know one person who took it. They had a severe headach for a few days. I thought it was caused by the tryptophan. They thought not. So they took it again. Got a hemiplegic migraine. Their GP put it down to the tryptophan. Not had it scince!! Recovered ok but a bit of a fright.

Aerose91

Yah definitely. Its weird since I've taken it many times before and no problems. My brain is so severely affected by everything I do. Never effects me physically, always psychological

Aerose91

Can someone explain the tryptophan metabolic trap theory? I understand how repressible operons work, I just dont know what the connection is to M.E. Is it that dangerous?