• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to better absorb supplements ?

Can someone tell me if taking the liquid form of supplement and put drops under my tongue will do the trick for better absorbtion? Or they need to be specifically formulated for sublingual use? I'm going over b12, that's sold as sublingual, but there are a lot of vitamins and minerals which are difficult to find that way. Also any others absorbtion method suggestion is appreciated

Tammy

I think liquid B12 is the way to go. I don't think it has to be sublingual for better absorbpion. I hold drops under my tongue for about 15-20 seconds before swallowing. I like the liquid method better also because I can control the dosage I want to take.

linusbert

no matter how you take it, 1% of b12 is absorbed through passive diffusion even if you got gastric problems and intrinsic factor deficiency or too less acid. so if you have troubles, take more.

to make use of sublingual you need to have it really long in your mouth like 30+ minutes. but i doubt passive diffusion through mouth is more efficient than passive diffusion through meters of guts.
there is a difference though, gut absorption goes through liver first, where as via mouth it gets directly into the blood stream. also micro biome might metabolise your supplemental b12, or even waste it. also not happening in mouth.

you could also do injections subcutatenous?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
@sunshine44 talks about using supplements topically and I think she has improved a bit because of that so I don't see why putting a liquid version of something under your tongue wouldn't also work to some degree as well.

Just be mindful of the ingredients...that they are okay for teeth. Others have mentioned some of the sublingual supplements having things like citric acid which isn't great for tooth enamel. I think that would go for things that chelate.

I think liquid B12 is the way to go. I don't think it has to be sublingual for better absorbpion. I hold drops under my tongue for about 15-20 seconds before swallowing. I like the liquid method better also because I can control the dosage I want

no matter how you take it, 1% of b12 is absorbed through passive diffusion even if you got gastric problems and intrinsic factor deficiency or too less acid. so if you have troubles, take more.

to make use of sublingual you need to have it really long in your mouth like 30+ minutes. but i doubt passive diffusion through mouth is more efficient than passive diffusion through meters of guts.
there is a difference though, gut absorption goes through liver first, where as via mouth it gets directly into the blood stream. also micro biome might metabolise your supplemental b12, or even waste it. also not happening in mouth.

you could also do injections subcutatenous?
Yeah but what about others supplement beside b12? Like liposuluble vitamins (K,A,D etc) or minerals. Do they need to be digested and converted by the liver or can I hope for a direct absorption through mucosa?

datadragon

This is the largest study that documents therapy with Sublingual preparations of Vitamin b12 to be sufficient and even superior to the intramuscular administration route. The sublingual overcomes the challenges of IM injections and should be the first line option for patients with Vitamin B12 deficiency. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30632091/ Some info I was mentioning on B12 absorption https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-2-active-forms-pure-water.90012/post-2438156

The purpose of the present study is to explore the assessment if the transdermal delivery of vitamin D is feasible. This randomized control study shows that vitamin D3 can safely be delivered through the dermal route. This route could be exploited in treating vitamin D deficiency. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3976443/

As far as topical going back to the question. Malabsorption is a factor, for example- magnesium deficiency. Magnesium is absorbed in the small intestine and in the colon; so those with intestinal or colon damage such as Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, celiac disease, gastroenteritis, idiopathic steatorrhoea, resection of the small intestine, ileostomy patients or patients with ulcerative colitis, or autism may have magnesium deficiency due to this. Nutrient relationships can be involved such as a high calcium level also impairs magnesium absorption. In these situations, the epsom salt or a Magnesium Chloride transdermal spray therefore may be helpful by bypassing the gut absorption problems. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/is-transdermal-magnesium-effective.90305/post-2437213

What keeps coming up is the lowered zinc during inflammation/infection. If you do not make stomach acid you cant absorb zinc, and if you do not absorb zinc you do not make stomach acid as zinc, vitamin B1, and B6 are needed to produce stomach acid. Hydrochloric acid helps kill off pathogens and is required for the absorption of nutrients such as calcium, iron, and various vitamins which can all be impacted as inflammation becomes chronic so lowering the inflammation while possibly supplementing some light zinc like zinc glycinate may help - zinc amino acids complexes https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/28717982/

Last edited:
Yeah but what about others supplement beside b12? Like liposuluble vitamins (K,A,D etc) or minerals. Do they need to be digested and converted by the liver or can I hope for a direct absorption through mucosa?
Liposomal vitamins aren't always better, just more expensive. Most nutrients are too large to be absorbed to any significant degree through mucosa. But also they typically don't need to be unless you have significant GI inflammation that is preventing absorption. In that case I would address the gut inflammation and just increase whatever vitamins/minerals you are low on.

This is the largest study that documents therapy with Sublingual preparations of Vitamin b12 to be sufficient and even superior to the intramuscular administration route. The sublingual overcomes the challenges of IM injections and should be the first line option for patients with Vitamin B12 deficiency. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30632091/
Do you have a copy of that study that you can share? The abstract says very little. I've been trying to find studies done on B12 absorption, especially sublingual, and have not found much useful information :(

datadragon

I often take Betaine HCl w/ Pepsin, which increases stomach acid for better absorption.
Yes, and I had found research that showed that mechanistically betaine inhibits nuclear factor-κB (NF-kB) activity and NLRP3 inflammasome activation, regulates energy metabolism, and mitigates endoplasmic reticulum stress and apoptosis. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/betaine-inhibits-nlrp3-inflammasome-activation.90510/ So it may be useful during high inflammation to help increase stomach acid and potentially may help restore zinc metabolism by lowering inflammation and help mitochondial function with the er stress reduction.

Do you have a copy of that study that you can share? The abstract says very little. I've been trying to find studies done on B12 absorption, especially sublingual, and have not found much useful information
Sent you a pm.