• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How did your ME start?

I am a bit frightened because my health is declining. My brain is failing, and episodes of breathlessness (at rest) are becoming more frequent. I am 27 and well off.

I would be very grateful to hear anyone's experiences of how their ME started.

taniaaust1

Mine was gradual but a sudden onset (sudden classical ME virus symptoms including high fevers, muscle pains, swollen glands etc), gradual as mine was on and off at first before the symptoms became full time.

stridor

I had breathlessness at rest and talking was very difficult. It went away after I started taking hydrocortisone. My adrenals are pooched.
My health started to decline (in terms of ME) in 2009. When I had the mercury amalgams removed in Dec 2010 and Jan 2011, that is when the you-know-what hit the fan. Thyroid and adrenals quit functioning effectively. I started down a steep slope into ME/CFS with low temperatures which dropped with any activity and post-exertional fatigue. A guy on the mercury site told me I had ME/CFS.
I thought, "fine, I will chelate my way out of it".
I chelated mercury until I hit the wall in July 2011. I couldn't function while standing and I wasn't processing information well. That is when the same guy told me that I had a methylation problem. I did the best I could and now I am on this site looking to tweak what I am doing.

peggy-sue

My onset was incredibly sudden. Seconds, not minutes.
I was crossing a road, in the middle of a very enjoyable long walk of several miles. (I was very fit.)
On one side of the road I was well, by the time I reached the other side, I was wading through a lake of treacle.

11 years on, I'm still trying to wade through that lake of treacle.

A few weeks beforehand I'd been with family for the yuletide season. My brother's partner had 'flu. I caught a sniffle from him and so did my brother and my partner.

My brother's partner came down with ME at the same time as I did, my brother got a 9-month PVFS, my partner got IBS.