• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What caused your CFS? POLL

What caused your CFS? POLL

• Viral infection

Votes: 29 67.4%
  • Vaccine(s)

Votes: 4 9.3%
  • Medicine (anitbiotics)

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 18.6%

• Total voters
A couple of weeks before I became sick, I had this over whelming feeling of tiredness/sleepiness/fatigue...then boom I came down with streph throat. I'm confused because I read that CFS is usually viral . My blood pressure was low 5 months prior to the streph. thankfully it is starting to return to normal.

drex13

I voted "other" because my initial "sudden onset" followed a course of antibiotics 16 yrs. ago or so, but looking back on it I think the antibiotics were just the straw that broke the camels back and that the illness had been coming on for some time. Plus I had a long time (several years ) of remission and don't know if I can point to any single cause or event for my current state of ill health. I used to get strep throat quite a bit when I was younger and had scarlet fever once. A mononucleosis infection (EBV) can often accompany strep throat, and my current doctor suspects that during one of these bouts of strep as a youngster, I probably also had mono.

My dad and I both had a series of Hepatitis B Vaccinations done and we've ever since been ill (that was 1995). Mom's fine. She didn't get them at that time though.

Added Info: I was tested less than 9 years later(don't remember if it was done ever before that or not) to see if those shots had left me with antibodies to Hep B, which was what the shots were supposed to do, and I did not. :/

For awhile it was said that a booster needed to be repeated after about 7 years but now they say it should be good for a minimum of 20+ years (says wikipedia anyhow).

insearchof

Hello Saveme,

Employment of the term "syndrome" denotes (in part ) that the cause of an ilness remains unknown. If we knew the cause of CFS we might be a long way towards finding a cure, but causation has remained a mystery for close to 25 years.

There are certain illnesses and circumstances that have been noted shortly prior to or contemporaneous with the onset of the illness that subsequently gives rise to the diagnosis CFS, but these are regarded as associations and not causations.

These associations are sometimes referred to as CFS illness triggers, but not all triggers result in acute or sudden illness onset, which makes their possible role as a trigger for the illness leading to a CFS diagnosis sometimes questionable (due to remoteness in time to illness onset) and certainly problematic in trying to find strong associations to research for the purposes of causation.

So perhaps a more accurate title for your poll would be "what do you believe triggered or contributed to your illness that led to your diagnosis of CFS?"

ISO

TinyT

EBV initially. Swine flu (h1n1) & recurrent colds/viruses caused relapse from 80%- 35% 5 years post onset.

Mij

I woke up one morning with severe vertigo, the initial trigger was viral. I was vaccinated one month later with Hep B vaccines, rubella vaccine, tetanus and something else for a course I was taking. So I'm thinking perhaps the vaccines may have sparked my initial onset down a different path to no recovery. Still wondering about this though.