• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Herbal and Traditional Medicine

Rufous McKinney

I ran into this fascinating study today and wanted to share it with others.

An amazing study done in Spain and France looked at how a particular bird utilized wild herbs for what appears to be medicinal purposes.

Impressive work.

https://www.frontiersin.org/article...am-jpn-anz&twclid=2-3qguks60r5qlk8fsqw461a1p6

Front. Ecol. Evol., 23 November 2022
Sec. Chemical Ecology
https://doi.org/10.3389/fevo.2022.1027201
https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/32688#articles
Bioactivity of plants eaten by wild birds against laboratory models of parasites and pathogens

Plants are not only used as energy and nutrient resources for herbivores. Plants can be ingested because of their activity against host parasites and other pathogens. This so-called medicinal role of plants is well reported in ethnopharmacology and under-reported in wild animals. More studies on wild animals are needed because any plant in the world contains bioactive compounds, and probably all plants, no matter how toxic they are, experience herbivory. For example, we tested the activity of extracts and essential oils from Papaver rhoeas and Echium plantagineum against a selection of laboratory pathogens because Great bustards Otis tarda preferred these plants during the mating season, with male fecal droppings showing a higher frequency of P. rhoeasparticles than the fecal droppings of females. We hypothesized that P. rhoeas could be helpful for males in the mating season if any part of this plant harbors bioactivity against parasites and other pathogens. Males’ immune system is weakened during the mating season because of their investment in secondary sexual characters and sexual display. As a first exploration of the bioactivity of these plants, we evaluated extracts of both plants against a sample of laboratory models, including a flagellated protozoon (Trichomonas gallinae), a nematode (Meloidogyne javanica) and a fungus (Aspergillus niger). Non-polar and polar extracts of the aerial parts of P. rhoeas, especially the extracts of flowers and capsules, and the extracts of leaves and flowers of E. plantagineum showed activity against nematodes and trichomonads. The bioactivity of plants against parasites could explain the foraging behavior of stressed animals. The chemical communication underpinning the capacity of fauna to recognize those plants is far less known.

"The chemical communication underpinning the capacity of fauna to recognize those plants is far less known."

Wishful

It's also possible that ingesting these plants increases some mating rating factor: brighter plumage, more movement ... better breath, and the health benefits are a minor benefit.

Rufous McKinney

The Boyz just saw the poppies, thought they looked pretty and ate some. Females didn't think they were that pretty so ate fewer. We already know females are very picky.

Males had no idea they would be also feeling great later, they simply thought they looked pretty.

Shanti1

Administrator
Interesting post. I just looked it up and learned that this is called "zoopharmacognosy", which is the science of the "medicinal" ingestion of plants and other substances by animals. To me it doesn't seem surprising that this would occur in the animal kingdom.

Rufous McKinney

To me it doesn't seem surprising that this would occur in the animal kingdom.

yes, I am recalling some other recent reports for chimps or something eating something quite specifically when they are unwell.

Everything about how might other beings perceive and operate in the world is fascinating and we have hardly a clue.