• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help finding B12 sources please!

Tammy

But I'm also having a harder time holding the liquid in my mouth
honestly, you really don't even need to hold the liquid in your mouth before swallowing. I do that at times but mostly I take it in a little bit of liquid or just take directly in mouth without holding it.

Last edited:

LisaGoddard

It's so great that we can share alternatives. I felt at a loss on how to replace my sublingual tablets with something that works. I haven't made the transition yet as I had a nasty norovirus 🤢 Finally feeling a bit more 'normal'.

I bought Nature's life B12 and will start it tomorrow. https://uk.iherb.com/pr/nature-s-life-b-12-drops-sugar-free-wild-berry-5-000-mcg-2-fl-oz-60-ml/86395

I know the sprays have a higher percentage absorption: I think I read sublingual tablets are 1% and spray 6% absorption.

I wonder if the drops are also more efficient than the tablets? (hard to know whether to just take the dose that I would with tablets or decrease or increase my dosage???🤔

Please let me know what methylcobalamin products you've found useful.

I have been taking 10 sublingual Solgar methylcobalamin 5000 mcg daily. Yes, that is a huge amount! But I struggle if I don't have such a high dose. It seems Solgar have recently stopped making the 5000 mcg B12. So I am at a loss on what to do!!

I'd like to try B12 oils or transdermal patches so please do advise.
Thorne makes good products. I need to get back on my B vitamins and start again with the methylation B12. Good luck.

LisaGoddard

I didn't know about that one! I may need to, as B12 oils may not carry on being produced as Greg Russell-Jones is retiring soon and we don't know yet whether there's anyone to take over production, or if there is, what that will mean going forward. Thanks for the info! 🙂
Hi Jadzhia, I realised recently that Dr Myhill no longer sells the B12 spray (for use on the body). As it was, I've had some negative reactions with it. It caused skin itching. And I also had some leaked blood vessels - I think the additive DMSO has blood thinning properties (though I am awaiting diagnosis for possible vascular Ehlers Danlos so this effect, as well as itching, might not apply to others.) But just thought I'd share.

I've had good results in oral drops.https://uk.iherb.com/pr/nature-s-life-b-12-drops-sugar-free-wild-berry-5-000-mcg-2-fl-oz-60-ml/86395

LisaGoddard

I buy some supplements from a website called PureFormulas. They might have what you're looking for, and if you order it delivered monthly there's a discount. You also earn points on orders that go toward more discounts. The liquid B12 is currently out of stock, but here's a link. https://www.pureformulas.com/produc...lingual-by-solgar-vitamin-and-herb/1000023007
Thanks for this suggestion. But I did try the cyanocobalamin at the start of my methylation and found it made me quite ill after a while.

GreenEdge

If you have to supplement then it's not a healthy diet. Eat red meat from a ruminant animal (eg. beef, lamb) - it's the best thing we can possibly eat.

When I first went low carb in 2018, it took me about 6 months to get my carbs down to around 100g and another 3 months after that to get down to under 50g. At the time I thought red meat was bad so I pretty much had to eat an avocado a day to get my carbs that low. Then to become ketogenic I found 2 consecutive zero carb meals (eg. Salmon) got me into ketosis.

Red meat contains every nutrient we need in the form our bodies desire and compared to anything else, it's very nutrient dense. At first I had trouble with beef and found lamb was good, but now I eat nothing else but beef and I never get tired of it. My body knows its the best and that's all I ever want.

The only time I eat chicken is on Christmas day because that's all that's available. I haven't eaten lamb in over a year and I've only ate salmon a few times last year.

I recommend you eat bacon and eggs or what ever animal products you desire. Move towards an animal based diet. On YouTube watch Ken Berry MD, Shawn Baker MD,
Anthony Chaffee MD plus many others.

Watch this: 3 years on carnivore diet, then & now

The carnivore diet cures anxiety and depression, plus everything else but it takes time. I've been doing carnivore for 2 years and I can still detect a little bit of anxiety (but that's because I so much more aware now) and I can still get depressed if I'm having to rest for weeks and not able to enjoy the freedom I now have. For the last 3 days, I've pretty much worked all day. Before that I was fatigued since Christmas day. Tomorrow I must make myself rest, because I don't want to become fatigued again.

Do you have ideas for how I could lessen carb withdrawal?
Avoid anything sweet. If you're not hungry enough to eat a steak then you're not truly hungry. Instead, you're being drawn to something you're addicted to. You need to break that addiction.

I found I transitioned from salmon to lamb to beef. I guess if you like chicken start with chicken but chicken is far to dry, you need animal fat to get your fat soluble vitamins.

I'll be eating steak for the rest of my life, I never get tired of it. 😁

Last edited:

GreenEdge

You only avoid meat because vegetarians + seventh day adventist have an ideology against it and the food industry wants you to stay addicted to their processed foods. They have managed to convince us that it's bad. I can tell you from experience, it's the only thing that will help you break your sugar and processed food addiction.

We all must kill something to survive. One cow provides me with enough food to last me 100's of days. How many insects and fish get killed by the use of pesticides growing crops? How many small animals get killed when crope are harvested? Monoculture agriculture is destroying top soil and poisoning our creeks and rivers. On the other hand, cows and other herbivores create top soil, and without them you can not grow your plants.

Our most significant non-renewable geo-resource is productive land and fertile soil. Each year, an estimated 24 billion tonnes of fertile soil are lost due to erosion. That's 3.4 tonnes lost every year for every person on the planet. Soils store more than 4000 billion tonnes of carbon.

Keto is not a fad diet. Carnivore is keto and it's how humans have survived for millennia. Carnivore is not fad diet because humans have been eating meat for millennia. The standard american diet is the fad diet.

All animals run on fat, even herbivores. Their microbiome can break down cellulose and other plant matter turning it into short chain fatty acids, but we can't. Our biology is different, our appendix is a vestigial organ. When it was a functional organ, it was a hindgut fermentor turning indigestible carbs into fatty acids.

So in our evolutionary history we went so long without eating vegetable matter that we lost that ability. Probably during an ice-age. The last ice age occurred from the end of the Eemian to the end of the Younger Dryas, encompassing the period c. 115,000 – c. 11,700 years ago. That's over 100,000 years! We probably survived like the Inuit living off sea and land animals.

Nitrogen isotope analysis of ancient bone fragments shows that we were not just carnivore but more so than other carnivores. We must have preyed on other carnivores.

GreenEdge

Even meat eaters can have a B12 deficiency.
Yes that is true. To correct a deficiency you must consume more than your daily requirement. May I suggest, you eat lamb liver. Cooked lamb liver is less bitter than beef liver. Almost all livers are discarded because there's little demand for it, so you won't be contributing to the killing of an animal.

100g of lamb liver supplies 3,752% of your daily B12 requirement so you only need a small amount.

When eaten raw it is sweet. Do not be afraid of eating raw meat, as long as it is fresh it is safe. Find a butcher that sells it frozen. Let it thaw just enough so that you can cut it into bite size pieces and then refreeze. Then each day eat 1 piece frozen or thawed and soon your deficiency will be healed.

Lamb liver is also high in vitamin A, a fat soluble vitamin you will also be deficient in because you can't get it from plant fats in any significant amount. You also get good amounts of Zinc, Phosphorus, Iron, Selenium, Copper, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6 and B9.

Supplements aren't very effective. It's much better to get nutrients from a natural source.

Last edited:

Tammy

Yes that is true. To correct a deficiency you must consume more than your daily requirement
Deficiencies have more to do with how a person's liver is performing. Methylation is part of that process. Eating more fatty meat would just put more workload on the liver. I understand you are all about the meat and that's your journey (and I respect that) but I don't feel it is the answer.

GreenEdge

Deficiencies have more to do with how a person's liver is performing.
I didn't say anything about how a person's liver is performing. Our liver will store the same nutrients as other animals. The liver stores key nutrients that animals need to survive, our liver is no different. So eating the liver of another animal will help replenish our stores. The liver also stores glucose (as an energy reserve) in a concentrated form know as glycogen.

Methylation is part of that process.
Histone methylation/demethylation is an epigenetic modification. It's about adding/removing histones at various points along our genetic code to silence/unsilence genes.

Eating more fatty meat would just put more workload on the liver.
The liver does not process fat. When you eat fat, bile is released by the gallblader. Normally, 95% of the bile acids in your small intestine are reabsorbed in the last segment (the ileum) and returned to the gallbladder. The other 5% originates from hepatocytes in the liver and modified distally by absorptive and secretory transport systems in the bile duct epithelium. If you don't eat fat your gallbladder will fail from lack of use. To restore a gallbladder gradually reintroduce fat into your diet.

I understand you are all about the meat and that's your journey (and I respect that) but I don't feel it is the answer.
I respect that everyone is on their own health journey. I hope one of us finds a cure because we certainly won't hear anything from pharmaceutical companies unless it's a drug they can patent and make money from - they need to make money to fund research. When they find something that works but can't be patented we don't hear about it. For example: MCT oil for dementia - see book by Mary Newport who tried to inform the world about a successful treatment.

I would like to know what 'natural berry flavours' is first.
When companies use the term "natural flavor" or "natural X flavor " it means they started with a natural food based product and added a bunch of chemicals to it. Legally they are not required to disclose what any of those chemicals are to the consumer.

I would never use a product with any "natural flavor", it's typically something very toxic or unhealthy.

I didn't say anything about how a person's liver is performing. Our liver will store the same nutrients as other animals. The liver stores key nutrients that animals need to survive, our liver is no different. So eating the liver of another animal will help replenish our stores. The liver also stores glucose (as an energy reserve) in a concentrated form know as glycogen.

Histone methylation/demethylation is an epigenetic modification. It's about adding/removing histones at various points along our genetic code to silence/unsilence genes.

The liver does not process fat. When you eat fat, bile is released by the gallblader. Normally, 95% of the bile acids in your small intestine are reabsorbed in the last segment (the ileum) and returned to the gallbladder. The other 5% originates from hepatocytes in the liver and modified distally by absorptive and secretory transport systems in the bile duct epithelium. If you don't eat fat your gallbladder will fail from lack of use. To restore a gallbladder gradually reintroduce fat into your diet.

I respect that everyone is on their own health journey. I hope one of us finds a cure because we certainly won't hear anything from pharmaceutical companies unless it's a drug they can patent and make money from - they need to make money to fund research. When they find something that works but can't be patented we don't hear about it. For example: MCT oil for dementia - see book by Mary Newport who tried to inform the world about a successful treatment.
I'm not sure where you are getting your information but it's not exactly correct. Your gallbladder is not a "use it or lose it" organ. Eating too much fat can put stress on the gallbladder. And eating too much meat puts stress on the liver. Excess protein can lead to excess nitrogen which can lead to high ammonia levels in the body.

Also I used to do pure research for a large biomed facility before getting sick and there isn't a conspiracy to hide "things that work". Yes there is a serious lack of government funding because people don't care about science so we have to be very picky about what we spend our time on but there isn't some secret cure to dementia. Dementia is a complex process that we are still trying to understand. Anyone who claims to fully understand it and has a cure is just a lier. Same with the people who pretend to have a cure for cfs. Just because someone calls themselves a doctor and is selling a cure doesn't mean they are being honest.