• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Help finding B12 sources please!

LisaGoddard

Please let me know what methylcobalamin products you've found useful.

I have been taking 10 sublingual Solgar methylcobalamin 5000 mcg daily. Yes, that is a huge amount! But I struggle if I don't have such a high dose. It seems Solgar have recently stopped making the 5000 mcg B12. So I am at a loss on what to do!!

I'd like to try B12 oils or transdermal patches so please do advise.

L'engle

moogle
I think there is a UK brand that doesn't have any additives. Somebody posted about it a while back. It was a liquid but I don't remember the brand.

Honestly I feel better on that amount too, and dissolved for as long as possible. But I've ruined a bunch of my tooth enamel from the sugars added to most brands. I'm taking smaller amounts of unflavored ones now but it's not the same as the high dose. It gets expensive too. Different brands seem to be available in different countries. I haven't been able to use iherb for months as the login screen hangs, otherwise I would have tried a few more brands. The ones I use now are only in Canada.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@LisaGoddard - I find I do best with liquid sublinguals. I have to leave the tablets too long in my mouth and I get impatient and don't wait long enough. But when I use a liquid B12 product, it seems to absorb more quickly than the tablets. There are several available on Amazon. I'm in the U.S., not the UK, so I don't know what's available for where you are.

@LisaGoddard - I find I do best with liquid sublinguals. I have to leave the tablets too long in my mouth and I get impatient and don't wait long enough. But when I use a liquid B12 product, it seems to absorb more quickly than the tablets. There are several available on Amazon. I'm in the U.S., not the UK, so I don't know what's available for where you are.
Have you found a good quality liquid one that doesn't have any flavor additives or sugars/minerals/etc added to them? I'm in the US and all the liquid ones I have found so far either looks very questionable or has tons of things added to it or isn't active b12.

lenora

Have you tried the injections? Often they end up being cheaper as insurance will often pay for the needles and the B-12. I did shots once/wk. for many years. I should probably still be doing them, but I'm reluctant to bring it up with my new neurologist - at least yet.

I do take a supplement at this point and the fact is, something will always be out of whack on my blood tests. I'd rather give myself the injections as I think my body is getting what it needs. The supplements...who knows? Look at @L'engle and her tooth enamel problem.

That occurs as we get older anyway, let alone helping it along. Good luck. Yours, Lenora

Mary

Moderator Resource

Tammy

Have you found a good quality liquid one that doesn't have any flavor additives or sugars/minerals/etc added to them? I'm in the US and all the liquid ones I have found so far either looks very questionable or has tons of things added to it or isn't active b12.
Take a look at Biophoton liquid B12 or global healing liquid B12. Vimergy B12 liquid is a very good high quality B12 but quite expensive.

LisaGoddard

L'Engle, Mary, Katt, lenora, Jadzhia, Tammy,

Thanks so much! I am sorry that I am so late in replying. I had some appointments just before Christmas and I crashed out. Thanks so very much for these suggestions! I will follow them up. Apart from the injections which I did try but they did not help at all (I think they were the hydroxy form)- sad that as I was getting them prescribed on the NHS. I am happy to purchase from Australia if I need to.

I did manage to find a to find a transdermal form
https://www.salesatdrmyhill.co.uk/transdermal-b12-spray-50ml-48-p.asp
It says it uses as its carrier molecule 'ADC... derived from tree bark which is similar to methyl sulfonyl (MSM - an arthritis treatment). '
Any thoughts or experience with this one, I wonder?

LisaGoddard

Mary, Could you let me know the brand names of the liquid B12s you use, please? I guess you just squirt them in your mouth and keep it there as long as possible? I am a total novice at any forms of B12 other than sublingual tablets.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Mary, Could you let me know the brand names of the liquid B12s you use, please? I guess you just squirt them in your mouth and keep it there as long as possible? I am a total novice at any forms of B12 other than sublingual tablets.

@LisaGoddard - here are some liquid B12s I have used:

https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Vita...-3-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Bluebonnet-L...-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1

https://www.iherb.com/pr/kal-b-12-methylcobalamin-berry-2-500-mcg-2-fl-oz-59-ml/90038

Be sure to look at the dosages - the first 2 are 5000 mcg per serving and the last one is 2500 mcg per serving. You'll have to see what works best for you

I just squirted it, or used a dropper, under my tongue instead of squirting it down my throat. I just let it sit for a little while and I think it just gets absorbed.

Jadzhia

Jadzhia, Thanks for the suggestion. I will order from Australia if I need to. I wondered if you tried Dr Myhill's transdermal b12? https://www.salesatdrmyhill.co.uk/transdermal-b12-spray-50ml-48-p.asp

I noticed there were patches available on amazon.co.uk but with mixed reviews
I didn't know about that one! I may need to, as B12 oils may not carry on being produced as Greg Russell-Jones is retiring soon and we don't know yet whether there's anyone to take over production, or if there is, what that will mean going forward. Thanks for the info! 🙂

LisaGoddard

I didn't know about that one! I may need to, as B12 oils may not carry on being produced as Greg Russell-Jones is retiring soon and we don't know yet whether there's anyone to take over production, or if there is, what that will mean going forward. Thanks for the info! 🙂

So sorry to hear the oils might not be available soon!! I've found that I get some itching with the spray b12 from Dr Myhill so would have loved to try the oils.

Take a look at Biophoton liquid B12 or global healing liquid B12. Vimergy B12 liquid is a very good high quality B12 but quite expensive.
Thanks! I got the Biophoton b12 because I like that it has both types of b12 and just uses glycerin as a base. However the bottle did not come protected from light so I'm not sure if it has degraded or not.

Tammy

Thanks! I got the Biophoton b12 because I like that it has both types of b12 and just uses glycerin as a base. However the bottle did not come protected from light so I'm not sure if it has degraded or not.
Not sure what you mean.......bottle did not come protected from light? All the liquid B12's that I have purchased in the past came in an amber colored bottle. From the photos it looks like Biophoton B12 also comes in amber colored bottle.

Not sure what you mean.......bottle did not come protected from light? All the liquid B12's that I have purchased in the past came in an amber colored bottle. From the photos it looks like Biophoton B12 also comes in amber colored bottle.
I guess I was just surprised that it's not in a fully light blocking bottle. Or that it didn't come with a secondary package to protect it. I don't know, maybe the amber bottle is good enough and I'm just being overly concerned about light degradation.

I was just thinking about it today because I noticed that I haven't been able to get any neurological brightening from the liquid B12 or the liposomal B12 I ordered. But I'm also having a harder time holding the liquid in my mouth compared to the tablets. But the tablets were burning the inside of my mouth and giving me sores so that wasn't sustainable.

I'll be giving the topical B12 a try next. I really hope that works because I would hate to have to give myself injections. Like seriously, I think I'm incapable of doing a self injection.