• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr Ian Lipkin's $1.27m gut microbiome study - crowdfunding campaign - news and updates

Bob

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
Hi lauluce, Mady was discussing her entire research program, so my post describes a number of studies. Some studies are underway and some are just getting started. If u look at the second image in my post, it lists a number of studies that are part of the program.
thals for the reply, do yo know if any study is uneerway and whic organization is mady ho:ning working for in this studies

Bob

thals for the reply, do yo know if any study is uneerway and whic organization is mady ho:ning working for in this studies
I think all of the studies listed are underway, at various stages of advancement. Except I'm not sure how advanced the NIH study is because it's a recent grant. Dr Mady Hornig works with Dr Ian Lipkin at the Centre for Infection and Immunity (CII) at Columbia University, New York. They have funding from a variety of sources including our crowdfund, the Hutchins Family Foundation, and recently an NIH grant.

lauluce

I think all of the studies listed are underway, at various stages of advancement. Except I'm not sure how advanced the NIH study is because it's a recent grant. Dr Mady Hornig works with Dr Ian Lipkin at the Centre for Infection and Immunity (CII) at Columbia University, New York. They have funding from a variety of sources including our crowdfund, the Hutchins Family Foundation, and recently an NIH grant.
thanks!

geraldt52

Thanks, Bob, for the great synopsis.

It really is impressive how broad and thorough the Lipkin/Hornig work is...so nice to see what real research looks like.

I know there were people who originally chose not to give the Microbiome Project, because they were skeptical that their problem was a gut problem, and they felt their money would do better elsewhere. It probably wasn't clear enough in the beginning that Dr. Lipkin wasn't just interested in your gut flora, but rather using the gut as yet another place to look for pathogens or the signatures of pathogens of all nature. I hope people can now see the quality of what Lipkin/Hornig are doing, and consider a donation of whatever they think they can afford as the tax year comes to an end. My wife and I have made periodic donations as a very small way of encouraging Drs. Lipkin and Hornig for making us "visible" in a way we never were before.

Bob

@geraldt52
Thanks Gerald. I've been following the Lipkin developments closely for, well, however long it is, and I was totally bowled over by this conference video. The range, depth and breadth of the research program is staggering. I'm not even sure that I knew they had a gene expression study on the go. I feel exceptionally lucky that we have this team on our side. They clearly want to find answers, despite struggling to attract funds. I think the academic challenge of the subject must intrigue them. But they also know the patient community now, so they have a personal investment. The sophistication of their program is impressive. They are looking for 1.7m viruses, and antibodies to them. And they are now delving into autoimmunity, looking for autoantibodies. That's on top of the proteomics and metabolomics etc. The amount of data they're going to have is utterly phenomenal. I've no idea how they're going to process it all. And they want to connect dots, to make associations between various immune markers and genes and signs of pathogens. If I understood correctly, they also want to dig deeper than simply looking for autoantibodies, and to look to see if any autoantibodies are related to genes or genetic markers. And to see if there are any signs of infection that may have triggered or precipitated an autoimmune reaction. And I'm not sure if that's been done rigorously in science at all yet? Perhaps it has but I'm not aware of it. This is a truly cutting edge, and thorough, scientific program. How did we manage to get this team on board? I mean one of the most elite scientific teams on the planet!

Last edited:

Marky90

Science breeds knowledge, opinion breeds ignorance
@geraldt52
Thanks Gerald. I've been following the Lipkin developments closely for, well, however long it is, and I was totally bowled over by this conference video. The range, depth and breadth of the research program is staggering. I'm not even sure that I knew they had a gene expression study on the go. I feel exceptionally lucky that we have this team on our side. They clearly want to find answers, despite struggling to attract funds. I think the academic challenge of the subject must intrigue them. But they also know the patient community now, so they have a personal investment. The sophistication of their program is impressive. They are looking for 1.7m viruses, and antibodies to them. And they are now delving into autoimmunity, looking for autoantibodies. That's on top of the proteomics and metabolomics etc. The amount of data they're going to have is utterly phenomenal. I've no idea how they're going to process it all. And they want to connect dots, to make associations between various immune markers and genes and signs of pathogens. If I understood correctly, they also want to dig deeper than simply looking for autoantibodies, and to look to see if any autoantibodies are related to genes or genetic markers. And to see if there are any signs of infection that may have triggered or precipitated an autoimmune reaction. And I'm not sure if that's been done rigorously in science at all yet? Perhaps it has but I'm not aware of it. This is a truly cutting edge, and thorough, scientific program. How did we manage to get this team on board? I mean one of the most elite scientific teams on the planet!

Truly amazing for ME-patients over the world! The NIH should get in on funding this research if they truly mean business??

Bob

The Microbe Discovery Project said:
AMAZING NEWS!

Dr Lipkin and Dr Hornig at the Center for Infection and Immunity (CII) at Columbia University have received another whopping donation of $750,000 for their research program. This gift is from the same donor that gave an amazing $500,000 earlier this year. This is truly phenomenal and ensures progress in gold standard biomedical research into ME/CFS!

Please help achieve great ME/CFS research by making a donation to the Columbia University, Mailman School of Public Health, Center for Infection and Immunity, here: www.bit.ly/DonateToDrLipkin

$761,854 s.png

Latest update.

The total raised so far is:

$1,513,983 from 1580 donations.

This includes all donations received to date for Dr Lipkin's & Dr Hornig's ME/CFS research program at the Center for Infection and Immunity, Columbia University.

Our heart-felt thanks to everyone who has supported the project! :hug:

Dr Ian Lipkin: "I promise that our team will focus its best people and its best tools on the problem."

Donations to Dr Lipkin's & Dr Hornig's ME/CFS research program can be made here:
www.bit.ly/DonateToDrLipkin

Last edited:

Bob

I've amended the previous post now, but I had accidentally missed out an important announcement at the beginning of the previous post.

Here it is again for anyone who missed it.

AMAZING NEWS!

Dr Lipkin and Dr Hornig at the Center for Infection and Immunity (CII) at Columbia University have received another whopping donation of $750,000 for their research program. This gift is from the same donor that gave an amazing $500,000 earlier this year. This is truly phenomenal and ensures progress in gold standard biomedical research into ME/CFS!

Please help achieve great ME/CFS research by making a donation to the Columbia University Mailman School of Public Health Center for Infection and Immunity here: www.bit.ly/DonateToDrLipkin

Last edited:

Bob

Last edited:

SOC

I wish we could thank this heroic donor that is putting the NIH to shame.
Me too. If the donor wants to remain anonymous, we want to respect that, but most of us would like to give a personal thank you. Can someone in contact with the Columbia group ask if there's a way we could thank this very generous donor while still respecting the donor's privacy? Maybe they could put up some kind of thank you webpage we could sign. Or maybe we can do our usual thank you card and the Columbia group could direct the donor to the card... assuming they know who the donor is.

There must be a way we can extend our personal thanks.

lauluce

I´m almost crying! thank you whoever you are, misterious donor, for believing and caring about our continuous suffering and neglect! wish some day we can know who you are so we can build something in your honor, or maybe, who knows, name the pathogens implied in our disease in your name!