Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Antibodies to ß adrenergic and muscarinic cholinergic receptors in patients with CFS

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by snowathlete, Sep 25, 2015.

1. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    Loebel, Grabowski, Heidecke, Bauer, Hanitsch, Wittke, Meisel, Reinke, Volk, Fluge Ø, Mella, Scheibenbogen.

Abstract

Infection-triggered disease onset, chronic immune activation and autonomic dysregulation in CFS point to an autoimmune disease directed against neurotransmitter receptors. Autoantibodies against G-protein coupled receptors were shown to play a pathogenic role in several autoimmune diseases. Here, serum samples from a patient cohort from Berlin (n= 268) and from Bergen with pre- and post-treatment samples from 25 patients treated within the KTS-2 rituximab trial were analysed for IgG against human α and ß adrenergic, muscarinic (M) 1-5 acetylcholine, dopamine, serotonin, angiotensin, and endothelin receptors by ELISA and compared to a healthy control cohort (n=108). Antibodies against ß2, M3 and M4 receptors were significantly elevated in CFS patients compared to controls. In contrast, levels of antibodies against α adrenergic, dopamine, serotonin, angiotensin, and endothelin receptors were not different between patients and controls. A high correlation was found between levels of autoantibodies and elevated IgG1-3 subclasses, but not with IgG4. Further patients with high ß2 antibodies had significantly more frequently activated HLA-DR+ T cells and more frequently thyreoperoxidase and anti-nuclear antibodies. In patients receiving rituximab maintenance treatment achieving prolonged B-cell depletion, elevated ß2 and M4 receptor autoantibodies significantly declined in clinical responder, but not in non-responder. We provide evidence that 29.5% of patients with CFS had elevated antibodies against one or more M acetylcholine and ß adrenergic receptors which are potential biomarkers for response to B-cell depleting therapy. The association of autoantibodies with immune markers suggests that they activate B and T cells expressing ß adrenergic and M acetylcholine receptors. Dysregulation of acetylcholine and adrenergic signalling could also explain various clinical symptoms of CFS.

sb4, ahimsa, Dr.Patient and 40 others like this.
  2. Simon

Simon

Monmouth, UK
    Note interesting Rituximab connection where elevated autoantibodies at baseline are normalised after treatment for rituximab responders .

Thanks, @snowathlete

Broken into paragraphs here to help my fuzzy brain - plus 'highlights'

Antibodies to ß adrenergic and muscarinic cholinergic receptors in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Highlights
    • β adrenergic and muscarinic acetylcholine receptor autoantibodies are elevated in a subset of patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS).

• Elevated autoantibodies in CFS correlate with elevated IgG1-3 subclass levels, thyreoperoxidase and ANA antibodies and T cell activation.

• In CFS patients responding to rituximab treatment, elevated antibody levels detected pre-treatment normalized in the majority of clinical responders post-treatment.

Abstract
    Infection-triggered disease onset, chronic immune activation and autonomic dysregulation in CFS point to an autoimmune disease directed against neurotransmitter receptors.

Autoantibodies against G-protein coupled receptors were shown to play a pathogenic role in several autoimmune diseases.

Method
    Here, serum samples from a patient cohort from Berlin (n= 268) and from Bergen with pre- and post-treatment samples from 25 patients treated within the KTS-2 rituximab trial were analysed for IgG against [G-protein coupled receptors] human α and ß adrenergic, muscarinic (M) 1-5 acetylcholine, dopamine, serotonin, angiotensin, and endothelin receptors by ELISA and compared to a healthy control cohort (n=108).

Results

Antibodies against ß2, M3 and M4 receptors were significantly elevated in CFS patients compared to controls. In contrast, levels of antibodies against α adrenergic, dopamine, serotonin, angiotensin, and endothelin receptors were not different between patients and controls.

A high correlation was found between levels of autoantibodies and elevated IgG1-3 subclasses, but not with IgG4.

Further patients with high ß2 antibodies had significantly more frequently activated HLA-DR+ T cells and more frequently thyreoperoxidase and anti-nuclear antibodies.

In patients receiving rituximab maintenance treatmen
    t achieving prolonged B-cell depletion, elevated ß2 and M4 receptor autoantibodies significantly declined in clinical responder, but not in non-responder.

We provide evidence that 29.5% of patients with CFS had elevated antibodies against one or more M acetylcholine and ß adrenergic receptors which are potential biomarkers for response to B-cell depleting therapy.

The association of autoantibodies with immune markers suggests that they activate B and T cells expressing ß adrenergic and M acetylcholine receptors. Dysregulation of acetylcholine and adrenergic signalling could also explain various clinical symptoms of CFS.

One for @Jonathan Edwards?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
    Wayne, MEMum, SDSue and 18 others like this.
  3. Gijs

Gijs Senior Member

Especially patiënts with POTS/ME will have this problem. I Always have suspected this. This is a breakthrough for a subgroup.

4. Effi

Effi Senior Member

Europe
    Simon likes this.
  5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Revolting Peasant

Scotland
    Does the (much) higher than 29.5% response rate in the Phase II trials indicate that there may be more, yet to be discovered, autoantibodies in the other responders?

sb4, MEMum, EtherSpin and 12 others like this.
  6. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    They're certainly looking in the right place and its a sizeable sample which is good. Would seem to predict half of those who respond to rituximab and suggests more to find in this area to figure out who else will respond. And of course it could significantly focus research efforts into mechanisms, and subsequently causes.
    Look forward to what Prof Edwards makes of it.

7. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

What are the symptoms typically attributed to β adrenergic and muscarinic acetylcholine receptor autoantibodies?

EtherSpin, MeSci, Gingergrrl and 4 others like this.
  8. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

Problems with regulation of vascular tone and heart rate.

JaimeS, sb4, MEMum and 12 others like this.
  9. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    or of POTS maybe?

"Epinephrine (adrenaline) reacts with both α- and β-adrenoreceptors, causing vasoconstriction and vasodilation, respectively. Although α receptors are less sensitive to epinephrine, when activated, they override the vasodilation mediated by β-adrenoreceptors because there are more peripheral α1 receptors than β-adrenoreceptors. The result is that high levels of circulating epinephrine cause vasoconstriction. At lower levels of circulating epinephrine, β-adrenoreceptor stimulation dominates, producing vasodilation followed by decrease of peripheral vascular resistance."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrenergic_receptor

sb4, voner, MEMum and 8 others like this.
  10. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

From the discussion:

J.G, sue la-la, Never Give Up and 9 others like this.
  11. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

MeSci, Never Give Up and Valentijn like this.
  12. Marco

Marco Grrrrrrr!

Near Cognac, France
    This is from a blog I wrote on complex regional pain syndrome :

Read more: From Chronic Regional Pain Syndrome to Fibromyalgia to ME/CFS? The ‘Spreading Neuroinflammation’ Model http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/201...lgia-mecfs-spreading-neuroinflammation-model/

These things seem to get around!

13. msf

msf Senior Member

Is this the first evidence we have for how Ritux may be working?

14. msf

msf Senior Member

15. Sidereal

Sidereal Senior Member

They're not antibodies to the same muscarinic receptor. The Japanese study you linked found antibodies to M1 whereas this German/Norwegian collaboration found antibodies to M3 and M4. The Japanese study is cited in their paper.

cigana and Simon like this.
  16. msf

msf Senior Member

I didn´t say they were...haha, just kidding, I didn´t notice that, thanks for pointing it out.

cigana and Simon like this.
  17. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

I find it interesting that the B2 and M3 receptors are involved in insulin release and energy production. This might explain the difficulties that patients tend to have in regulating their blood sugar despite the absence of an identifiable endocrine disease.

18. greeneagledown

greeneagledown Senior Member

19. Rooney

Rooney Senior Member

SE USA
    While I have POTS, I have only had REDUCED IgG subclasses, so I imagine I would be a non-responder.
    Is this a correct interpretation?

Wow, what an exciting morning!

20. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Would IVIG or steroids (like Predislone) be useful against the antibodies?

See more popular forum discussions.