• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Can I raise vit d without supplements in winter?

outdamnspot

I just saw my gp after a general blood workup and the only anomalous result was low vitamin d; it's dropped from 57 to 44 ever since I stopped getting regular sun exposure.

Unfortunately, supplements crash my adrenals, though I haven't experimented with them since beginning hydrocortisone at the start of the year. Is the value low enough to be detrimental? Is there any other way to raise it?

Wolfcub

I know a little vegan trick @outdamnspot but I don't know if it would be suitable for you of course, or indeed, provide enough vitamin D (I presume vitamin D3?) As I don't know what foods you can tolerate.

But if you buy mushrooms with "gills" underneath, then you turn them gills-upwards and let them stand in sunshine for a few hours, and it raises their vitamin D content quite high.

There is some information about that here

outdamnspot

Are you able to tolerate cod liver oil? I also have a tough time with vit D supplements. Luckily you still have healthy levels.

Not sure. Would cod liver oil be considered an 'aged' fish product like canned fish? I know I'm intolerant to pretty much all non-fresh foods, and also all oils. Are my levels still healthy if they're under the range?

outdamnspot

I know a little vegan trick @outdamnspot but I don't know if it would be suitable for you of course, or indeed, provide enough vitamin D (I presume vitamin D3?) As I don't know what foods you can tolerate.

But if you buy mushrooms with "gills" underneath, then you turn them gills-upwards and let them stand in sunshine for a few hours, and it raises their vitamin D content quite high.

There is some information about that here

Thanks, I haven't eaten mushrooms in a long time but might be worth experimenting with!

BeADocToGoTo1

Not sure. Would cod liver oil be considered an 'aged' fish product like canned fish? I know I'm intolerant to pretty much all non-fresh foods, and also all oils. Are my levels still healthy if they're under the range?

Probably it is an aged product. It is an oil version in a glass bottle that I keep in the fridge, but fresh fish is always going to be better (assuming the quality and source, which these days is sadly also tough).

D levels will fluctuate but, 40-50 ng/mL is fine. Unless the unit of measure was different. Some people naturally have lower or higher levels than others, it can fluctuate, and winter months can naturally be lower.

nyanko_the_sane

Because everyday is Caturday...
@outdamnspot if you are trying to avoid foods with histamines, some types of mushrooms should be avoided.

My D level is very low, I am trying to boost it up. Living in darkness sure does have its disadvantages.

Last edited: