• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any examples in the animal kingdom?

Hip

Parasites take advantage of the situaion but in my opion are not the cause.

ME/CFS is seen to follow infection with the protozoan parasite Giardia lamblia, which colonizes and replicates in the small intestine, causing giardiasis.

One study found that after giardiasis, at least 5% of patients developed ME/CFS symptoms.1

Giardia lamblia also predisposes you to acquiring IBS.1

Hip

Search for Tarello and CFS in Google

(p.s. humans with CFS saw Tarello as well and had experimental treatment)

There is a thread about Italian veterinary surgeon Dr Walter Tarello's treatment of ME/CFS in animals here:

Potassium Arsenite 0.05% Cures CFS in Falcons, so what about humans?

Dr Walter Tarello and his wife both had Staphylococcus bacteremia-associated ME/CFS which they caught from the animals Staphylococcus infection-associated ME/CFS. Bacteremia is an active bacterial infection in the bloodstream.

No improvements in their Staphylococcus bacteremia-associated ME/CFS were obtained using antibiotics, but once Dr Tarello and his wife administered to themselves low dose potassium arsenite for 10 days (which is what they were using to treat the animals with ME/CFS), they were both fully cured of their ME/CFS.

Interestingly enough, this study (full paper here) found that arsenic trioxide is a good antiviral for coxsackievirus B, a virus strongly associated with ME/CFS.

Arsenic trioxide is able to reduce coxsackievirus B replication in the brain too (most antivirals cannot cross the blood-brain barrier), which might be very significant in terms of treating CVB-associated ME/CFS.

I would have liked to try arsenic trioxide medication (Trisenox®), but there is small risk that this can trigger cancer some years later, as arsenic is carcinogenic.