• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

A struggle through seemingly conflicting SNP outcomes. Help?

Hi all,

These last few months I have been researching my 23andme output fairly obessively, however it seems the deeper I dig the more conflicting the outcomes become. This is probably a combination of my lack of in-depth knowledge in this field and poor analysis resources I have been using. But it has gotten to the point I'm simply confused and I would really appreciate some outsider feedback. I have been reading this forum for a while and it has become clear that there are some really knowledgeable people here. So here goes nothing!

Below is the output from my NutraHacker analysis and my goal is to form a personal list of do's and don't in terms of diet. Reason for doing this is that I have been dealing with fatigue (specifically sleepyness), poor immune system, and mild depressive tendencies for as long as I know. Which isn't all that long to be fair, considering that I'm a 25 year old guy. My personality type is fairly calm, I like adventure and would say I have an above average comfort level with stress. I am usually strategic and rational about life decisions (Myer Briggs ENTJ, for those interested).

These are my detox and methylation mutations. Bold is homozygous.

rs762551 - (CYP1A2) - AC: 1/2
rs16947 - (CYP2D6) - AG: 1/2
rs1695 - (GSTP1) - AA: 2/2

rs1208 - (NAT2) - AG: 1/2
rs1801280 - (NAT2) - CT: 1/2

rs4633 (COMT) - CT: 1/2
rs4680 - (COMT) - AG: 1/2
rs6323 - (MAO-A) - T: 1/1

rs651852 - (BHMT08) - CC: 2/2

rs1801181 - (CBS) - AG: 1/2
rs1544410 - (VDR) - CT: 1/2
rs731236 - (VDR) - AG: 1/2
rs4880 - (SOD2) - AG: 1/2

The NutraHacker advise has been conflicting by, for example, saying I should avoid Methyl donors and suggesting supplements in another section that are in fact Methyl donors. As said, my goal is to make a basic list of foods (or supplements) I should eat more and others that I should avoid. Highest priority would be reducing fatigue, increasing happiness (who wouldnt like that) and bettering overall health.

If anyone here is able to give any insight or their opinion on these results I would realllllly appreciate it!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Some NutraHacker advise I got from the service directly:
AVOID: Curcumin, Grapefruit, Vitamin E, Methyl B12 , Methyl donors, Estrogens, Androgens, Vitamin B6, Taurine

TAKE: Broccoli, NAC, Vitamin B2,B3, Hydroxy B12, TMG ,Phosphatidylcholine, Manganese, Zinc, SAMe inhibits, Vitamin D3, Progesterone )

Attachments

• NutraHacker output1.png
    NutraHacker output1.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 10
  • NutraHacker output2.png
    NutraHacker output2.png
    67.1 KB · Views: 7

Valentijn

@thevirusz - Nutrahacker is not a good source of information. They cut and paste whatever they find on the internet, and do not seem to understand it.

Some of the information they had pasted into their reports were sentences plagiarized word-for-word from my own posts on this forum. Although they have now removed that content after being nicely asked to do so by a moderator, I doubt their understanding or general methods have improved at all.

Critterina

I completely agree with Valentijn: NutraHacker makes no attempt to reconcile their suggestions. I think just about everyone comes away with conflicting advice.

I look at the SNPs as one leg of a three-legged stool. Treatment should consider the other legs: labs and symptoms.

So, for example Vitamin D3 can affect your sense of well-being. So you have symptoms and SNPs related, respectively, to mild depression and your Vitamin D receptors (meaning that they may not bind to Vitamin D as well as they should) You might conclude that you should supplement Vitamin D - but wait! What if you already have high-normal Vitamin D levels? Then supplementing wouldn't be good. You'd be wasting time and money, and, although Vitamin D isn't toxic until you get to higher doses, that's not true of other supplements. If I chose a different example, you might be wasting time and money and risking damage.

My advice: work with a healthcare practitioner, get lab work done, and where two or three out of three suggests something to try, design an experiment with your practitioner to try to treat your symptoms.

@Critterina I understand that more information would help with creating a more effective plan.
I figured that if there were SNP's that are homzygous and match with symptoms I experience then its worth a shot to try to better it.

Thank you for the tip on vitamine D3, I actually already started taking that after a regular blood test which showed I was low on that. So in that case the "three-legged-stool" applies, as my genetic results showed that as well. My overall symptoms are similar with what other close family members are experiencing so I really have the feeling it could be genetic. The blood tests did not show anything else, but this was just a generic test on the basic metrics.

Do you have any other ideas on what might help based on my results and symptoms?

Thanks again :)

caledonia

@thevirusz This is why I don't like Nutrahacker.

You can go to my signature link and try interpreting your results with the SNPs Interpretation Guide.

But like the others are saying, SNPs are just potentials and you also have to consider environmental influences (epigenetics).

The Nutreval test is a comprehensive functional test that can help pinpoint various deficiencies, gut issues, possibly issues with toxic metals. I have a document for the interpretation of that too.

I would also pair that with the Doctors Data Hair Mineral and Toxic Metals test interpreted with Andrew Cutler's Hair Analysis to see what's going on with mercury or other toxic metals. Someone who is 25 has probably had a very large number of vaccinations which may have contained thimersol (form of mercury). Not to mention your mother's possible toxic load from mercury amalgams which can be passed onto the baby. If you have mercury amalagams consider that too.

For sleepiness type fatigue, a sleep study might be in order. Or it might be as simple as taking some magnesium to see if that clears up restless legs waking you up during sleep.

As far as your SNPs, the MAO A, COMT and VDR can be involved with mental health issues.

If you have a poor immune system, I would pay particular attention to the gut, as most of the immune system resides there.

Critterina

I agree that NutrEval is a good test, but I have Blue Cross insurance, and the copay is $799. The other things
caledonia mentions are good, too. I also like serum amino acids as an indirect measurement of what's working well and what isn't.

@caledonia Great tips, thank you so much.
I have been reading your document and its a great hands-on resource.

This is what I have come to so far:
- To work with my VDR BSM I will take (or keep taking) extra vitamin D3.
- For my SOD2 A16V I will start taking some mineral supplements (including magnanese) and eat some more meat and dairy products. I think eating more broccoli is supposed to help as well.

For the other key mutations MAOA and COMT I find it hard to come up with a concrete action plan, despite these quite possibly having the most impact on my day to day well-being. I read a while back that vitamin B2 is supposed to be beneficial for MAOA, but I have'nt been able to really verify this yet.

Does anyone have other ideas or papers showing how to best deal with these?

caledonia

@caledonia Great tips, thank you so much.
I have been reading your document and its a great hands-on resource.

This is what I have come to so far:
- To work with my VDR BSM I will take (or keep taking) extra vitamin D3.
- For my SOD2 A16V I will start taking some mineral supplements (including magnanese) and eat some more meat and dairy products. I think eating more broccoli is supposed to help as well.

For the other key mutations MAOA and COMT I find it hard to come up with a concrete action plan, despite these quite possibly having the most impact on my day to day well-being. I read a while back that vitamin B2 is supposed to be beneficial for MAOA, but I have'nt been able to really verify this yet.

Does anyone have other ideas or papers showing how to best deal with these?

See Heartfixer for more info - http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

There is also some relationship of COMT to estrogen dominance, so if you determine that you have too much estrogen, you can take IC3 and/or DIM or eat cruciferous veggies to bring it back down.

But basically COMT is not an issue unless you're having mood swings from methyl supplementation.