• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

23andme

Lisa108

I'd also like to know this as from Germany I could only order the ancestry test...

Moof

The DNA ancestry results are pretty meaningless in the scheme of things – they tell you people moved about a lot in the past, surprise surprise! If you buy the more expensive test, I think you get both ancestry and health. I did it a couple of years ago as a favour to a cousin in the US, who's really into all this stuff (she paid!), and I got both. It told me not to make any treatment decisions based on the results, which I think is very good advice.

Critterina

upload_2018-9-3_15-22-57.png

You get the raw data with both, it seems. Check this before you order, because sometimes websites come up differently in different countries.

Lisa108

Thanks, but is the extend of the raw data the same? Guess I'll have to ask the customer service...

tinacarroll27

Just received this reply from 23and me customer service. Not sure I am any the wiser.
Hello,

Thank you for contacting the 23andMe Team. 23andMe performs genotyping, meaning that we look at specific positions along your genome that are known to differ between individuals. These positions are called SNPs (Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms). Available SNPs are dependent on the genotyping chip used in the analysis of the sample; the raw data provided across all of our products is the same for people on the same chip. We've been using our current genotyping chip since August 2017.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best regards,

Marga
The 23andMe Team

Carl

The 23andMe tests are a tiny fraction of the genetic data. If you can afford more then the Dante Labs whole genome sequencing might be a more comprehensive option.

They recently, around 18th August and do so occasionally provided a discount which got the price to around £275-£280 or whatever €299 worked out to with exchange rates and conversion costs. They offered a discount code of €100. That would allow all genes, as they become discovered, to be interpreted.

I decided to not bother with 23andme due to it being so limited and waited for a discount on the Dante tests.

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/dante-labs-discount-until-19th-august.61158/

Last edited: