New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

True Effectiveness of Cutler Style Chelation

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by cman89, Sep 26, 2016.

1. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Hayden, Idaho
    I have run across some internet sources, anecdotal of course, that claim that the effectiveness of Cutler style chelation (DPMS and ALA on rounds) is very overblown, and even metal toxic people don't really end up seeing true results in the long run, just placebo. Now, I have done Cutler chelation with ALA in the past, and I saw rapid change in symptoms, but even then I was skeptical that it was due to the metal detox effect. I am wondering if perhaps some of the skeptics are correct in their assessment. How many of you feel like you saw good results following a chelation program, and how much of that effect could perhaps be the "feel good" effect of ALA?

2. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    If ALA is simply producing a feel good effect, then why would taking ALA once a day instead of dosing frequently within it's half life make you worse, and vice versa?

As far as how does mercury and other metals affect the body - mercury and lead inhibit MTR (methionine synthase), which inhibits the methylation cycle which controls over 40 major reactions in the body. Aluminum inhibits the BH4 (tetrahydrobiopterin) cycle which controls neurotransmitters.

Mercury affects CBS which controls sulfur detoxication, and the production of glutathione, the body's major detoxifier. Mercury, arsenic and aluminum inhibit the Kreb's cycle which is how energy is produced in the mitochondria.

There are many more enzymes and pathways which are affected, those are just the ones I know off the top of my head.

So you get the metals out, and you would expect all of these things to improve.

Adults and children success stories
    http://cutlersuccessstories.weebly.com/

I believe David Hammond had ME or something very similar. He reports being mostly recovered from what sounds like post exertional malaise, and the moons growing back on his fingernails.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Poisoning-Undiagnosed-David-Hammond/dp/1494747898

3. alicec

alicec Senior Member

Australia
    There is a poll on PR - small numbers but nothing there that would convince you to start the protocol.

4. garyfritz

garyfritz Senior Member

I've been following the ACC FB group for about 3-4 months. From my reading at both sites, I would say the success rates for ACC are probably higher than they are here. Not all 100% cures, and it's not always a smooth and painless process, but a high percentage of people see dramatic improvement.

Proper diagnosis is obviously key. If you don't have mercury, ACC won't help you. (But IMHO nearly everyone is exposed to toxic levels.) If you truly have a methylation block, then the techniques promoted here seem to help some people. But taking myself as an example, Freddd's approach never did a thing for me. I never fit into the CFS model (thank God). I'm just here because of my huge need for B12, and B12 deficiency is a common thread here. But after learning about mercury poisoning, and observing some connections in my own experience, it looks to me like my B12 appetite is more likely due to mercury than to CFS or methylation problems.

Greg the b12oils guy has never been able to explain my voracious need for B12. He also doesn't believe in mercury toxicity, at least not from normal exposures like amalgams and vaccinations. I suspect that maybe the B12 demand he can't explain could be caused by the mercury toxicity he doesn't believe.

ACC is successful enough for enough people that I'm planning to get some expensive and painful dental work so I can start the chelation protocol.

5. cman89

cman89 Senior Member

Hayden, Idaho
    Interesting. Looks like you feel as the evidence speaks for itself. Good luck

6. garyfritz

garyfritz Senior Member

It does seem to fit, certainly better than the methylation idea (for me). Some examples of evidence that is swaying me:
    • I have many mercury-tox symptoms: tinnitus, ADD, muscle twitching, mild brain fog, etc.
    • I have very high cholesterol levels (280-290 mg/dL), yet a sonogram showed my arteries are whistle-clean. My MD was very confused. Then I discovered the body uses cholesterol to flush mercury out of the body.
    • I have a huge requirement for B12, and the body uses B12 to protect against & detoxify mercury. In hindsight I now realize my "B12 symptoms" are very likely mercury symptoms.
    • In 2013 I had a major spike in the symptoms I now believe are caused by mercury. A few months later I discovered I had lost a filling. Very likely it was degrading and shedding mercury before it fell out.
    • A few months ago I had an increase in several symptoms: night-time agitation, which I had always been able to control with B12, but suddenly the B12 stopped working; and a major increase in my cold-triggered urticaria (hives, itching, burning). I had no idea what caused this. This was just about the time I started following the ACC group, and one of their big messages is that chelation must be done with constant doses to keep the levels high. ALA has a half-life of about 3-5 hours, so you need to take your ALA chelation doses every 3 hours or so. If you don't, the active ALA levels decline, "dropping" the chelated mercury, and you end up redistributing the mercury (and causing more damage) instead of removing it. In trying to figure out what had changed to spike my symptoms, I realized I had started taking a new supplement (LEF 2-per-day multi) -- and that supplement contains ALA! Which I was taking twice per day (instead of every 3 hours), AND I still have amalgams (and you're not supposed to chelate until all amalgams are removed). I stopped taking the LEF supplement and those symptoms vanished within 48 hours.
    So if it was just "I have a bunch of mercury symptoms" I wouldn't be convinced. Many of those same symptoms can be pinned on other conditions. But the combination of factors, especially the lost filling and the reaction to the accidental ALA doses, makes me go "hmmmm..."

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    South likes this.
  7. brenda

brenda Senior Member

UK
    Gary

I am planning on amalgam removal in the UK. I have to - one of the two is fractured and twinges when l press it.

I will be following Cutler as l was on his form and saw quite a few improve though some got worse. I think it is vital to prepare the body with clean diet, improve fitness etc ( l don't fit in with cfs either and have more mobility than others here)

I was seriously poisoned when under a year old and played with the stuff later in childhood plus five amalgams three gone.

8. caledonia

caledonia

Cincinnati, OH, USA
    I know people on here use "methylation" as a shortcut term for taking B vitamins and other supplements, but you can also fix methylation blocks by removing mercury and lead. As mercury and lead inhibit methionine synthase (where B12 is a cofactor for folate to make methyl groups), it's like two sides of the same coin.

I imagine most people would have to do both to get complete recovery.

Freddd himself is another example of someone who is mercury toxic - look at his history.

bertiedog likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.