• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I am a slim guy who does NOT need to lose weight.

I read about resistant starch and started to eat a lot of cooked & cooled, boiled green bananas. Anywhere from 3 to 9 per day. I figured it was a "healthy" carb, and it was very filling.

After about 5 weeks of eating several green bananas a day, I noticed my face looked thin my weight had dropped almost 10lbs. :eek: :(I had not been exercising more or eating less that I can think of, I had not been under heavy stress to cause catabolic activity.

the only variable that had changed I can think of was the green bannas. Is it possible they could've burned that much fat?

South

@Sherpa Well, the theory for resistant starch, like those green bananas you have been eating, is that this type of starch is NOT digestible by humans, and is only fuel for the probiotics in your gut. So perhaps you simply replaced some food that had been providing calories for your body, with the green bananas which for the most part do not provide as many calories for your body. And the lack of calories for you, over weeks/months, could equal weight loss.

Just a theory though.

alicec

I inquired about self testing at the Great Plains Laboratory. This is a very reputable lab which many physicians use. They do have a 'program' where an individual can order some but not all of the tests without physician/clinician involvement. Well sort of, because there is % surcharge w/o physician order, no surprise here. But they do show the pricing.
From their home page http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/home.asp , click on 'For Patient' link on left. Then click on 'MyMedLab', and finally click on the blue MyMedLab link in center of page. On the left lists all the tests you can order. My understanding, the price includes a consult with the laboratory explaining the test results, although I would verify this.

This applies only if you live in the USA. For international customers there is no requirement for a physician signature at all. GPL sends results directly to your email address.

This applies only if you live in the USA. For international customers there is no requirement for a physician signature at all. GPL sends results directly to your email address.
Yes, the restriction is for US residents and varies depending on the state regulation. Thanks alicec for clarifying this to the many international readers here. Just an FYI unlike GPL, Genova Labs does not offer a similar program for direct patient testing to US customers, but again they may be less restrictive to international individuals. Crazy, I live just a few miles from Genova based out of Asheville, NC. drive past it all the time. Yet I'll be forced to use another lab located across the country if I go the self prescribed route for testing. Uggh

Thanks alicec for stepping in to clarify. Yes, the restriction comes from individual state regulations for US residents only. Perhaps worth mentioning is Genova Labs for international customers which also has excellent reputation. Unfortunately Genova does not offer self service program (for US based residents) similar to GPL. Crazy, I live just a few miles down the road from Genova, yet I'll have to use another lab across the country if I don't use a physician. They do however, offer some excellent information on their website here https://www.gdx.net/ as does Great Plains Laboratory http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/articles.asp

jepps

In Austria we need a physician signature. I sent an e-mail to GPL, and they gave me this answer.
But it´s not so complicate: my physician must be registered there, then I can order by myself under reference of my physician.

But I decided to do my stool test at Ubiome, I sent my sample there 2 weeks ago.

This week I received the result from the latest stooltest from my doctor: highest excretion of candida and mold......... same result for candida since July 2014, for mold since Nov. 2014.

This does not surprise me, as viruses are still released from the nerves, now from the cervical spine. It seams, that there is a chronic inflammation on the cervical spine, that spreads to the head, the back, the arms and the legs, and supplies several organs, as I have increased symptoms at time:confused:
As the throat is closely related to the gut, treating fungi systemically also works in the throat.

Last edited:

Sidereal

This week I received the result from the latest stooltest from my doctor: highest excretion of candida and mold......... same result for candida since July 2014, for mold since Nov. 2014.

I know I've said this before so I apologise for repeating myself but given what you said before about having no candida on the stool test prior to the gut protocol, this test result could also be interpreted as a worsening of the condition. Why would candida be excreting for almost year? Surely the most parsimonious explanation is that the stool test simply reflects that more candida is now proliferating in your gut, hence there is a greater amount of it in your stool. If alternative medicine were right about systemic candidiasis, which it isn't, we'd all be lying in an ICU bed, immunocompromised and dying.

Sidereal

I've been doing some reading lately about oxalates, kidney stones etc which I struggle with. It turns out there is a harmless Gram-negative anaerobic bacterium living in our guts, Oxalobacter formigenes, which degrades oxalate in the intestine. Colonisation with this bacterium is associated with a lower likelihood of developing calcium oxalate stones.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18322162

http://www.nature.com/ki/journal/v83/n6/full/ki2013104a.html

It is susceptible to being killed by some broad-spectrum abx:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22656407

All 4 Oxf strains were resistant to amoxicillin, amoxicillin/clavulanate, ceftriaxone, cephalexin, and vancomycin, and they were all sensitive to azithromycin, ciprofloxacin, clarithromycin, clindamycin, doxycycline, gentamicin, levofloxacin, metronidazole, and tetracycline.

There is an Oxalobacter supplement in Phase II clinical trials right now.

Some people in the functional medicine community think abnormal oxalate metabolism plays a role in fibromyalgia, interstitial cystitis etc.

jepps

How do you know that viruses are being released from your cervical spine?

Testing is bioenergetic with Global Diagnostics, a Swiss appliance, I see the result on a monitor, treatment is homoepathic. I do this for 4 years, the first 2 years with minimal success, then I addressed methylation, the next diagnosis showed viruses, this lasted for a 3/4 year, 2014 showed no viruses, since January there is movement in the nervs. My symptoms fit to the results. Very often I have worsening condition, but the result shows excretion, so it´s easier to accept it. And very often I see, that the symptoms pass by, and after this phase I have a better condition than before.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I believe I have seen great improvements with clostridium butyric (CB), though who can tell if it will last. In particular, it has helped greatly with OI, malaise, mood, brain fog and fatigue. I feel overall less sick and more like a normal person. They are without doubt the most effective probiotics I have tried, including PA.

Have you seen this study...
The effect of probiotic treatment with Clostridium butyricum on enterohemorrhagic Escherichia coli O157:H7 infection in mice

Probiotics are viable cell preparations that have beneficial effects on the health of the host. Clostridium butyricum is a butyric-acid producing gram-positive anaerobe, found in soil and intestines of healthy animals and humans. The MIYAIRI 588 strain of C. butyricum has been used as a probiotic for the treatment and prevention of non-antimicrobial induced diarrhea as well as antimicrobial-associated diarrhea in human and animal. This strain has been approved for human clinical use since 1968 in Japan. The mechanism, by which C. butyricum controls diarrhea, is considered to be complex. For example, C. butyricum has been shown to have antagonistic interaction against Candida albicans, Clostridium difficile, enterotoxigenic E. coli, Klebsiella spp., Salmonella spp., Vibrio spp. and Helicobacter pylori. In addition, butyric acid produced by C. butyricum has a proliferative effect on mucosal cells in the intestine and it was reported that butyric acid produced by C. butyricum has therapeutic efficiency against the inflammatory bowel disease.

Last edited:

Sidereal

There are human studies.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12654076

Pediatr Int. 2003 Feb;45(1):86-90.
Prevention of antibiotic-associated diarrhea in children by Clostridium butyricum MIYAIRI.
Seki H1, Shiohara M, Matsumura T, Miyagawa N, Tanaka M, Komiyama A, Kurata S.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Clostridium butyricum MIYAIRI (CBM) is a probiotic bacteria used for anti-diarrheal medicine in Japan. The preventive effect of CBM was investigated for antibiotic-associated diarrhea (AAD) in children.

METHODS:
One hundred and ten children who suffered from upper respiratory tract infection or gastroenteritis were divided into three groups. Twenty-seven of the patients received only antibiotics, 38 received CBM from the mid point of the antibiotic treatment and 45 concomitantly received CBM from the beginning of the antibiotic treatment. To examine the effects of CBM on AAD, the changes in intestinal flora were investigated.

RESULTS:
Diarrhea was observed in 59% of the subjects who received only antibiotics, and total fecal anaerobes, especially Bifidobacterium, were remarkably decreased. In contrast, diarrhea in the subjects who received CBM from either the middle or the beginning of the antibiotic therapy was decreased to 5% and 9%, respectively. Concomitant administration of CBM increased anaerobes and prevented the decrease of Bifidobacterium in the subjects who received antibiotics.

CONCLUSIONS:
Clostridium butyricum MIYAIRI is effective for both the treatment and the prophylaxis of AAD in children, as it normalizes the intestinal flora disturbed by antibiotics.

Sidereal

In this study of surgical patients, they used the probiotic combo of the three bacteria found in AOR3. The probiotic halved the risk of postoperative infection.

Hepatogastroenterology. 2007 Apr-May;54(75):661-3.
Probiotics reduce infectious complications after pancreaticoduodenectomy.
Nomura T1, Tsuchiya Y, Nashimoto A, Yabusaki H, Takii Y, Nakagawa S, Sato N, Kanbayashi C, Tanaka O.
Author information

Abstract
BACKGROUND/AIMS:
Postoperative morbidity is a significant problem associated with pancreaticoduodenectomy. The clinical value of probiotics in surgical patients remains unclear. This study investigated the effect of probiotics on surgical outcome after pancreaticoduodenectomy.

METHODOLOGY:
Seventy patients with pancreaticobiliary diseases were randomly allocated to two groups before pancreaticoduodenectomy, one of which received probiotics perioperatively and the other served as controls. Postoperative infectious complications were recorded.

RESULTS:
Of the 70 patients, 64 completed the trial (30 receiving probiotics and 34 controls). The probiotics used in the study contained Enterococcus faecalis T-110, Clostridium butyricum TO-A, and Bacillus mesentericus TO-A. The probiotics were first administered immediately after admission, 3 to 15 days before the operation, and then reintroduced on the second postoperative day. They were continued until hospital discharge. Infectious complications occurred after pancreaticoduodenectomy in 25 patients (39%). The incidence of infectious complications in the probiotics group (23%, 7/30) was significantly lower than in controls (53%, 18/34) (P = 0.02). Mortality amongst all patients was 1.6% (1 patient in the control group).

CONCLUSIONS:
The use of perioperative probiotics reduced postoperative infectious complications after pancreaticoduodenectomy, making it a promising potential adjunct therapy for patients undergoing high-risk hepato, biliary, and pancreatic surgery.

adreno

PR activist
Clostridium butyricum Combined with Bifidobacterium infantis Probiotic Mixture Restores Fecal Microbiota and Attenuates Systemic Inflammation in Mice with Antibiotic-Associated Diarrhea

Abstract

Antibiotic-associated diarrhea (AAD) is one of the most common complications of most types of antibiotics. Our aim was to determine the efficacy of Clostridium butyricum,Bifidobacterium infantis, and their mixture for AAD treatment in mice. AAD models were administered with single probiotic strain and probiotic mixture for short term and long term to evaluate the changes of the composition and diversity of intestinal microbiota, histopathology of the colon, and the systemic inflammation. Our data indicated that long-term probiotic therapy, but not short-term course, exerted beneficial effects on the restoration of the intestinal microbiota, the recovery of the tissue architecture, and attenuation of systemic inflammation. All predominant fecal bacteria reached normal level after the long-term probiotic mixture treatment, while IL-10, IFN-γ, and TNF-α also returned to normal level. However, the efficacy for AAD was time dependent and probiotic strain specific. Short-term administration of probiotic strains or mixture showed no apparent positive effects for AAD. In addition, the beneficial effects of C. butyricum combined with B. infantis probiotic mixture were superior to their single strain. This research showed that supplementation with C. butyricum combined with B. infantis probiotic mixture may be a simple and effective method for AAD treatment.
http://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2015/582048/

Last edited:

jepps

This is another article of clostridium cluster:
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/among-trillions-of-microbes-in-the-gut-a-few-are-special/
Kenya Honda, a microbiologist at Keio University in Tokyo, was among the first to uncover the critical role of clostridial microbes in maintaining a balanced immune system.
where C. difficile prompts endless inflammation, bleeding and potentially catastrophic loss of fluids, the clostridial clusters do just the opposite—they keep the gut barrier tight and healthy, and they soothe the immune system.

I am a slim guy who does NOT need to lose weight.

I read about resistant starch and started to eat a lot of cooked & cooled, boiled green bananas. Anywhere from 3 to 9 per day. I figured it was a "healthy" carb, and it was very filling.

After about 5 weeks of eating several green bananas a day, I noticed my face looked thin my weight had dropped almost 10lbs. :eek: :(I had not been exercising more or eating less that I can think of, I had not been under heavy stress to cause catabolic activity.

the only variable that had changed I can think of was the green bannas. Is it possible they could've burned that much fat?

Human and animal studies have shown that resistant starch increases fat oxidation and increases insulin sensitivity. Janine Higgins and her colleagues at the University of Colorado reported increased fat oxidation by 23% in healthy adults (Higgins et al. Resistant starch consumption promotes lipid oxidation Nutrition & Metabolism 2004). Denise Robertson and her colleagues at the University of Surrey reported increased expression of fat metabolism genes within the fat tissue of healthy adults. (Robertson, M.D. et al., Insulin-sensitizing effects on muscle and adipose tissue after dietary fiber intake in men and women with metabolic syndrome, Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, 2012; 97(9): 3326-32.) Finally, Mike Keenan and his colleagues at Louisiana State University have about 10 published studies showing less body fat in animal models after consumption of resistant starch. Similar results have been found in animal studies all over the world.

Vegas

Are you getting kickbacks from Miyarisan? (j/k)

This really can be a good adjunct to the other prebiotics. It has also been proven to act as a TLR-4 antagonist; which to the uninitiated simply means that minimizes the inflammatory response created by the endotoxins contained as part of certain gram negative organisms. Of course the mechanism of this relates at least in part to the synthesis of butyrate, but when I looked at this last year, I found that this bacterium is able to participate in the biosynthesis of certain beneficial indolic compounds, which carry out many critical functions in epithelial immunity, barrier function, and energetics. I found that AOR3 most certainly dampened inflammation and from the odor, likely participated in indole biosynthesis.

There are two primary pathways by which butyrate is synthesized and this organism uses what I would call the less important one, but butyrate enhancement regardless of source is likely to pay dividends.

Actually, one of the possible "solutions" that I have been looking at for the last couple of years is re-establishing those organisms that bind to Toll-like receptors but don't precipitate the same immune response. In effect they occupy the receptor, so virulent strains can't do this. It is these commensal gram-negative organisms that we surely lack.

So what effects has this probiotic produced? Details please.