• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

jepps

Virtually all probiotics on the market including these are nothing more than a combination of the same dozen or so strains of lactobacilli and bifidobacteria that have been commercially available for ages. The only substantive difference between them is the brand name and price. What they all have in common is that they don't work for ME/CFS and sometimes make symptoms worse thanks to more lactate.

If somebody is sensitive to lactate, or with SIBO they do more harm than good. But apart from this they act as immunomodulator, although they do not colonise the gut. So they work indirectly.

Gingergrrl

(Or we could shift conversation to a SIBO specific thread?...There may be interest from people too intimidated - by the size of it! - to enter this thread.)

@anne_likes_red I am still not sure if I have SIBO but I think people may still enter this thread in spite of the size of it and just jump in like I did... although I admit it was a bit intimidating! I also know that I am asking questions that are probably covered earlier in the thread (but it is too hard to find the answers) and I appreciate everyone's patience with that.

Yes, and if you give me your e-mail in a PM, I will send it to you, if you are interested. :)

@jepps, I will PM you as soon as I can and am interested to see your overview of this thread and the important terms. Thank you for offering!

The probiotics often discussed on this thread, Prescript Assist, AOR3 and Miyarisan, are significantly different from all those other products in that they contain soil-based organisms. Some people have done well on these, others haven't.

@Sidereal I started Prescript Assist today and so far, so good. Is there anything to be on the look-out for? Also, do most people pulse it versus take it every day? I am not going to take the AOR (which my husband also bought) but was thinking of alternating with my saccromyces boulaardi probiotic (from Metagenics.) I will discard my other probiotic which now seems useless. Does this seem like a good plan?

ETA: Without getting too off track (and this question is for everyone) I was potentially exposed to Listeria from tainted food about one week ago. I am okay so far but could taking Prescript Assist help me in staying negative for this (or is it too late to be helpful?)

jepps

@Sidereal I started Prescript Assist today and so far, so good. Is there anything to be on the look-out for? Also, do most people pulse it versus take it every day? I am not going to take the AOR (which my husband also bought) but was thinking of alternating with my saccromyces boulaardi probiotic (from Metagenics.) I will discard my other probiotic which now seems useless. Does this seem like a good plan?

ETA: Without getting too off track (and this question is for everyone) I was potentially exposed to Listeria from tainted food about one week ago. I am okay so far but could taking Prescript Assist help me in staying negative for this (or is it too late to be helpful?)

@Gingergrrl I take Prescript Assist every day, 1 cap in the morning, 1 cap in the evening. I started with 2 caps, but other friends of mine started with 1/2 cap, and then increased each week until 2 caps.
According to Chris Kresser there is no condition for not taking Prescript Assist.

This is worth mentioning again, given the broad scope and popularity of this thread. Taking Resistant Starches and fibers will not improve, but can greatly exacerbate SIBO. For review, or those who are new on this thread, something to keep in mind.
Note the following is an excerpt by a well known doctor on SIBO research of John Hopkins found here:
http://www.gidoctor.net/client_files/file/Turnbull_Chapter_Final.pdf
upload_2015-4-15_12-40-5.png

upload_2015-4-15_12-40-21.png

upload_2015-4-15_12-40-39.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-15_12-39-50.png
    upload_2015-4-15_12-39-50.png
    68.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Gingergrrl

I wanted to report that the Prescript Assist probiotic has been very helpful so far re: GI issues and I am alternating it with my saccromyces boulaardi probiotic (and got rid of my other one which was useless.) I did not start any RS or fibre stuff and think the change in probiotics (for now) may be all I need until after my SIBO test in June.

Sidereal

I wanted to report that the Prescript Assist probiotic has been very helpful so far re: GI issues and I am alternating it with my saccromyces boulaardi probiotic (and got rid of my other one which was useless.) I did not start any RS or fibre stuff and think the change in probiotics (for now) may be all I need until after my SIBO test in June.

Very glad to hear PA is helping. You might also wanna check out the Japanese Clostridium butyricum product some of us are trying.

snowathlete

This is worth mentioning again, given the broad scope and popularity of this thread. Taking Resistant Starches and fibers will not improve, but can greatly exacerbate SIBO. For review, or those who are new on this thread, something to keep in mind.
Note the following is an excerpt by a well known doctor on SIBO research of John Hopkins found here:
http://www.gidoctor.net/client_files/file/Turnbull_Chapter_Final.pdf
View attachment 10712
View attachment 10713
View attachment 10714

I don't totally agree, but I don't totally disagree either. I think the whole RS craze has been out of hand, and I think that is probably true of other fibre supplementation pushes as well. But there is a place for fibre in improving gut health, in my opinion.
Regarding SIBO, I haven't researched it in any depth but I think it's interesting, and I'd be interested to know if there are any tests out there that you can take to see if you have it? Ideally, tests that don't require a doctor to order them.

charlie1

I wanted to report that the Prescript Assist probiotic has been very helpful so far re: GI issues
I jumped into reading this thread at pg 142 (even though I missed 142 pages of reading, I'm still proud of myself :) )

I ordered the Prescript Assist on-line today after seeing that Gingergrrl is tolerating it well. Hopefully it can help with my IBS-C issues b/c certainly other brands aren't doing much for me. Praying that the PA doesn't interfere with the KPAX formula that I started recently...

Last edited:

Sidereal

Prescript Assist got rid of my IBS-C within a day or two of starting it last summer when I was trying it but I didn't notice any other benefits from it so I stopped it. Perhaps I should circle back to it.

charlie1

Seriously, within a day or two??!! The only thing that helps me is PEG but I hate that I'm taking polyethylene glycol.

PDXhausted

Prescript Assist got rid of my IBS-C within a day or two of starting it last summer when I was trying it but I didn't notice any other benefits from it so I stopped it. Perhaps I should circle back to it.

Did your IBS come back after you stopped the PA? Or did it permanently get rid of it after 1-2 days of taking?

Sidereal

Seriously, within a day or two??!! The only thing that helps me is PEG but I hate that I'm taking polyethylene glycol.

Well, there's a vast range of severity of IBS. Yours sounds much more serious than mine.

Did your IBS come back after you stopped the PA? Or did it permanently get rid of it after 1-2 days of taking?

It came back when I stopped it but I've since taken a million other things discussed on this thread so I don't have any major constipation issues anymore.

Gingergrrl

I jumped into reading this thread at pg 142 (even though I missed 142 pages of reading, I'm still proud of myself :) )

I ordered the Prescript Assist on-line today after seeing that Gingergrrl is tolerating it well. Hopefully it can help with my IBS-C issues b/c certainly other brands aren't doing much for me. Praying that the PA doesn't interfere with the KPAX formula that I started recently...

@charlie1 I jumped into the thread around page 142 as well although my husband is still working on reading the entire thread from the beginning. I am having absolutely no problems from the Prescript Assist and my GI issues are gone now. For me however, my core issues have always been autonomic and GI stuff was more minor but at times could flare up and be more bothersome. I am not sure how my histamine reactions come into play with the Prescript Assist but hoping it will help those as well. I have no idea how it could interact with KPAX that you recently started but I wouldn't think that there would be a problem. Let me know how it goes.

charlie1

@Gingergrrl Like you my issues are primarily autonomic as well. I'm not sure which of my new supplements/self treatments are 'the' reason for my hypotension, bradycardia, PEM and even my brain fog to have somewhat improved. DHEA, T4, KPAX, DAILY wearing the compression clothing 12 hrs/day (or all of these!) are all things that are new to my regimen since December.
I am by no means back to where I was pre-illness 3 yrs ago but the last week or so I have begun to feel much better. Increased BP has allowed O2 to reach my brain and other vital organs therefore allowing me to feel less light headed and 'duh' in the brain! :confused: The bump in energy has been a bonus .
Bowel issues (bloating, pain, spasms) have been helped over the years with various probiotics but the C continues. Hoping the PA helps with that. Yes, I'll keep in touch :)

jepps

Building up the gut can also make changes in the autonomic. Viruses like herpes and coxsackie are in the brain and in the nerves. Building up the gut and addressing candida reactivates viruses, and each virus can reactive another virus, this can be a chain reaction.

jepps

This is a link about information, how to test SIBO with or without a doctor:
http://chriskresser.com/rhr-testing-for-sibo-graves-disease-and-all-about-anemia

As mentioned previously in this thread, there are a few lab breath analysis, specific for testing SIBO.

I inquired about self testing at the Great Plains Laboratory. This is a very reputable lab which many physicians use. They do have a 'program' where an individual can order some but not all of the tests without physician/clinician involvement. Well sort of, because there is % surcharge w/o physician order, no surprise here. But they do show the pricing.
From their home page http://www.greatplainslaboratory.com/home/eng/home.asp , click on 'For Patient' link on left. Then click on 'MyMedLab', and finally click on the blue MyMedLab link in center of page. On the left lists all the tests you can order. My understanding, the price includes a consult with the laboratory explaining the test results, although I would verify this.

Here is another cheaper option. If some of you are interested in an analysis of your gut microbiome, there is a lab which actually encourages self ordering. https://ubiome.com/
The cost of this stool test is dirt cheap. With promo code (via google search), the price is halved ~$90 for 2 separate tests, taken at interval of your choice. However, unlike other stool tests, this one does NOT include candida/mold markers, so keep that in mind.

I also started taking Prescript Assist, AOR Probiotic-3, and Saccaromyces Boulardii. If these do not show any significant improvement, my next approach will be definitive lab work. Going the lab route = no more guessing.

**Worth noting, most reputable labs do require healthcare/clinician ordering, but in most cases does not have to be a certified PHD. The standards for who orders the testing is very loose, depending on the state you reside. Also, most of these testing labs will provide a list of local physicians/clinicians who frequently use their services.

Last edited: