• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sodium Chloride Got You Down?

Runner5

He put together 3 episodes in the salt series and they're all three really well done. I found it intriguing because two years ago I did get a diagnosis of a kidney issue that flushes out the salt and other minerals from my urine, diabetes insipidus. I also noted a few years ago I couldn't work out without a sports drink on hand or would have terrible PEM and rhabdomyolysis, muscle breakdown (but thought I needed the sugar since my GI doesn't work correctly I figured it had to do with glycogen stores getting depleted and my body refusing to burn fat because of my high estrogen).

I was told the kidney issue would most likely resolve on its own and no other action was needed on my part so I thought it just wasn't that bad. Like a small novelty illness, that made me run to the loo all the time. (I urinate so frequently I'm like a small dog on a walk - I swear it's the most embarrassing thing...) But growing up my Mom and Grandma were the same way and they told me, "yeah you'll have to drink and pee non-stop when you grow up." I honestly have always thought it was part of life. Isn't that what being 40 means? Knowing where every public bathroom is on any given route? I drink a liter of water over night, but that's uh' normal right?

I may have taken the kidney problem more seriously if I didn't have IBD and chronic gastritis - those problems like to put exclamation points on everything in my life !!!!!! and get all the attention. I really figured the CFS was from a GI related issue.

Now I'm not so sure, and putting Himalayan Sea Salt in my water bottle is a pretty simple step to start consistently doing. Maybe I should have paid attention to the kidney issue a long time ago, the GI problems might have just been a red herring. *shrug*

Also relates to the following threads:

Hyponatremia
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...assium-induced-hyponatremia-low-sodium.56367/

Discussion of DCA and the Pilot Study Mentioned in the video
http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ith-sodium-dichloroacetate-pilot-trial.58184/

Wishful

One thing schools should take the time to teach is: what is normal for things such as bodily functions. Yes, 'normal' can be a pretty wide range for humans, but it should be narrower for 80% of the population or whatever. In a thread I read yesterday, there were comparisons of 24-hr urine production, which I found quite surprising. 14+ litres a day for one, and someone else saying that she didn't need to pee every day when she was young. Without knowing what is normal, how are we supposed to recognise when something is abnormal and should see a doctor about it?

Likewise, most health advice is based on 'normal', which isn't necessarily healthy for people who are a bit different. If it turns out to be healthy for a particular individual to consume 5x the normal daily recommended amount of salt, they should consume that amount, and ignore the government's recommendations...or the doctor who refuses to listen to the patient and just quotes the textbook figures. Since most of us don't really know what is normal and healthy for us as individuals, we have to experiment and listen to our bodies.

Learning 'how often and how much a normal human pees' would be way more useful for most people than memorizing the date some long-dead politician was elected.