• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

hypokalemia (low plasma potassium) induced hyponatremia (low sodium)

pattismith

Having both low/borderline potassium/sodium/chlore...I had to think a bit about it, and found a begining of an explanation here:

"Things to take home:
1. Hypokalemia is an independent predictor for the development of hyponatremia. The role of K might be less obvious to us. But here is the possible role. The serum Na concentration is a function of exchangeable Na, K and total body water. The mechanism is that when there is K depletion, there is movement of Na into the intracellular compartment with an exchange for K out of the cell. So, when you start repleting the K aggressively, the Na will come out to the cell and start increasing your Na concentration as well.
2. Because of the above concept, the serum Na levels can rise without NaCl administration in an hyponatremic patient when oral or IV potassium repletion is being done."

To me this mean that low sodium + low potassium is indicator for overall K depletion.

(High K and low Na is generally indicator of mineralocorticoids insufficiancy, and reverse is usually indicator of too much mineralocorticoids)

I know many ME patients struggle with their electrolytes, so maybe some of you have low/borderline electrolytes level as well?

Chocolove

Tournament of the Phoenix - Rise Again
Looking for conditions with both hypokalemia and hyponatremia revealed:
Medline ® Abstracts for References 1-6 of 'Hypokalemia-induced renal ...
https://www.uptodate.com/contents/hypokalemia-induced-renal-dysfunction/.../1-6
Renal biopsies from 40 patients with hypokalemia and hyponatremia of an average of 10 years' duration due to abuse of laxatives or diuretics, anorexia nervosa, or chronic vomiting were examined with ... The cysts were more frequent in patients with adrenal tumors than in those with idiopathic adrenal hyperplasia. Sixteen ...

BFG

my potassium has always been low since becoming ill with cfs and now after 5 years with cfs, my Potassium levels usually ranges from 3.1-3.5, standard range (3.5- 5.1) my sodium is usually borderline low at 136-138 (136-145). My chloride is borderline low at 100 (98-107).

I cant tolerate too much potassium chloride supplements they give me migrianes as does salt. but can feels a difference in my symptoms such as muscle twitches stopping, more energy, less heart palpitations so my diet is very low in salt,, but I eat a lot of veggies which have a lot of potassium.

But no matter what I do my potassium seems to always drop down over and over.

I am also trying to find the reason for this.

pattismith

@BFG , my levels are quite similar to yours :thumbsup:,
although my potassium levels improve a bit since I started supplementing (a bit of potassium but mainly mitochondrial support supplements).

Like you, I have problems with migraines/headache that impairs my brain function, I don't know if there is a relation...

@Chocolove , this looks scary, I hope this condition doesn't predict future kidney disease. Thank you

@pattismith Could your methylation be draining your potassium as @Mary and others have experienced?

I do not follow the methylation protocol at the moment, so I suppose I have to fix this potassium thing before.