1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Hyperparathyroidism: An Often Overlooked Differential Diagnosis to ME/CFS
Andrew Gladman puts hyperparathyroidism under the microscope, exploring what the disease is, how it can mimic ME/CFS in presentation and how it is treated.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

New KDM, Lombardi research--HERV

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Sushi, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cells in the Duodenum of Individuals Diagnosed with Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Are Uniquely Immunoreactive to Antibodies
    to Human Endogenous Retroviral Proteins

in vivo 27: 177-188 (2013)

KENNY L. DE MEIRLEIR, SVETLANA F. KHAIBOULLINA, MARC FRÉMONT, JAN HULSTAERT, ALBERT A. RIZVANOV, ANDRÁS PALOTÁS and VINCENT C. LOMBARDI

http://www.wpinstitute.org/news/docs/invivo27_177-188_2013.pdf

merylg, alex3619, Nielk and 11 others like this.
  2. lansbergen

lansbergen Senior Member

KDM is like a bloodhound following a track. All the attacks could not stop him.
  3. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Yep
    merylg and filfla4 like this.
  4. Dan_USAAZ

Dan_USAAZ

Phoenix, AZ
    Would the results of this research possibly help explain why some ME patients have improved on antiretroviral medication? If I understand correctly, antiretroviral medication can inhibit the expression of HERVs.
  5. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Can someone give us the layman's summary -- what does this mean for us?
  6. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    potentially yes. I dont know anything about antivirals, but if they can inhibit expression of HERV proteins then yes, I think so, potentially.
  7. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    There will be an article on the main page at some point in the next day or two which will summarise it.
    But if it stands up, and if what is reported was confirmed to be causal for the disease, rather than a knock on effect, then it would mean that we have an autoimmune disease. More than that it would mean that the autoimmunity was caused by HERVs. ME/CFS would become very sexy very quickly, like it was for a while with the whole XMRV thing, but hopefully without falling flat!
    golden, justy, Nielk and 3 others like this.
  8. Robert Dain

Robert Dain

Bend Oregon
    Dreyfus used them to treat MS patients and they have HERV expression too. I would say its very likely.
  9. Kati

Kati Patient in training

Have you noticed this is all about myalgic encephalomyelitis and nothing about the nasty CFS? :)
    Ember and Little Bluestem like this.
  10. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cells in the Duodenum of
    Individuals Diagnosed with Myalgic
    Encephalomyelitis Are Uniquely Immunoreactive
    to Antibodies to Human Endogenous Retroviral
    Proteins

Journal: in vivo
    International Journal of Experimental
    and Clinical Pathophysiology and Drug
    Reseach - March-April 2013; 27 (2)

Authors: KENNY L. DE MEIRLEIR3,*,
    SVETLANA F. KHAIBOULLINA1,*,
    MARC FREMONT4, JAN HULSTAERT5,
    ALBERT A. RIZVANOV6,
    ANDRASPALOTAS7 and VINCENT C.
    LOMBARDI1,2 A. RIZVANOV6,
    ANDRASPALOTAS7 and VINCENT C.
    LOMBARDI1,2
    Dreambirdie likes this.
  11. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Don't we all carry HERV, even healthy people? What does it mean in CFS context? I don't understand this findings. Also is every CFS or a subgroup?
  12. adreno

adreno 3% neanderthal

Tundras of Europa
  13. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
  14. Kina

Kina Moderation Team Lead

Ontario, Canada
    Threads have been merged. :)
    snowathlete likes this.
  15. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Wow - KDM never gives up - outside the UK thank heavens.
  16. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    My understanding is that basically we all have HERV - virus bits that have become integrated with human DNA as we evolved. It's really ancient stuff and completely normal.

It sounds like they're saying the problem is that we have too many of a type of immune cell (Plasmacytoid Dendritic Cells) in our guts, plus we have a lot of them which are involved in an autoimmune reaction against some of the HERV proteins.

Beyond this not much is certain, but it's hypothesized that this autoimmune reaction is triggering inflammation (including neurological inflammation) which might ultimately cause some or all ME symptoms.

Any clarifications appreciated ... immunology make my head spin faster than usual. :confused:
    rosie26, SOC and Enid like this.
  17. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    :balloons: Well everything KDM has to be good - he came many years ago to a blind audience UK (the psychos) - may he and his fellow Docs/Scientists against UK mumbo jumbo please pursue. WE know he is right.:balloons:
  18. Sparrow

Sparrow Senior Member

Canada
    This seems promising, but it seems to be only a sample size of 12 people so far - Much too low for anybody to get too excited about it yet. Hopefully this will lead to a larger study. It also seems like the findings may only suggest that we have this trait in common with people who have autoimmune conditions, rather than proving that ME is an autoimmune condition for a subset of people. It's suggestive, though. I'll keep my fingers crossed that good things come out of this path for us.
  19. Helene

Helene

Fascinating. Question: viruses OK? but so many of KDM's patients are now testing positive for Borrelia. How does that fit?
  20. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Actually I think the conclusion is that they did find a specific autoimmune reaction in 8 out of 12 patients, and that it's one that hasn't been found before, it ME patients or elsewhere. My impression was that they were talking about other autoimmune diseases primarily to show how autoimmunity in general can cause our sorts of symptoms - but that's in addition to the specific indications of an ME autoimmune reaction that they found.

See more popular forum discussions.