• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Search results

1. J

High dose methylfolate causing blunting effect?

I've been experimenting with up to 15mg methylfolate. It helps with anxiety and irritability, and makes me feel more relaxed, but hurts my motivation and makes me feel kind of drugged up/blunted. Any idea why high doses do this? B12 doesn't seem to relieve it.
  2. J

Does methylation increase acetylcholine in the brain?

It turns out it was not acetylcholine. I experimented with some Alpha GCP and Citicoline, and it had a totally different effect. At first it made me feel better, helped with depression and focus, but then quickly became too much and caused restless legs and brain fog, but a different feeling...
  3. J

Excess acetylcholine & methylation

Found this post on reddit, this could explain a lot: "It seems like excessive methylation results in the formation of Lyso-Phosphatidylcholine (Lyso-PC), a dopaminergic neurotoxin, similar to MPTP/MPP+. It displaces D1 and D2 dopamine receptors from the cell membrane, while simultaneously...
  4. J

Active B2 (R5P/FMN) seems to work better in me than plain B2. B2 works for me at first, but seems to lose effectiveness after a few days, I assume it's depleting some co-factor. I'm wondering, are there any cofactors I can take that will increase the effectiveness of regular B2? I can always...
  5. J

update: I may have figured something out. I think the methylfolate is not good for me. I started taking 200mcg folinic acid, B2, and hydroxyB12 (swallowed). Folinic and vegetable folate in its own will cause folate trap, and need B2 + B12 to lift. So far this is working without causing symptoms...
  6. J

@Cnew2this I believe I found the info about B2 & folatetrap in these threads: https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/how-b2-really-affects-folate.48416/ https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/methylation-completely-stopped-working-cant-find-the-missing-cofactor.76310/page-3 The amount you...
  7. J

Another explanation - methylation may not be good for me, anything that increases methylation boosts neurotransmitters which initially fixes my depression, but it also boosts ACh production which then blunts all other neurotransmitters causing anhedonia. Maybe increased ACh is some rebound...
  8. J

From https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/blog/2019/03/01/start-here-for-mthfr-and-methylation " The low activity of the MTHFR enzyme is a result of its lower ability to use riboflavin, and an extra 1.6 milligrams of riboflavin per day helps bring the activity back up closer to normal. It isn't clear...
  9. J

@drmullin30 My TSH range: 2.080 uIU/mL (standard: 0.450 to 4.500 uIU/mL0.450 - 4.500 uIU/mL) Dr said my thyroid is normal. I haven't looked into oxalates, but diet changes never really made a big difference for me.
  10. J

I have a problem with excess acetylcholine buildup I've been struggling to understand. I suspect it has something to do with a messed up methylation cycle. For those who aren't familiar with acetylcholine, too much can cause depression https://www.pnas.org/content/110/9/3573 I will reach a...
  11. J

TMG makes me very depressed why?

I have the same problem. I came across this thread https://www.longecity.org/forum/topic/93984-the-reason-why-choline-causes-depression/ I haven't found any solution except to take benedryl.
  12. J

Niacin (flushing kind) is energizing, while the non-flushing kind (niacinamide) makes me tired

No idea. It is making methylfolate more effective thought, where as niacinamide would make me require more methylfolate+methylb12. When taking methylfolate I normally feel the need to take more b12 to "activate" the folate and prevent methyltrap, with niacin it seems to make the methyfolate work...
  13. J

Niacin (flushing kind) is energizing, while the non-flushing kind (niacinamide) makes me tired

Has anyone else noticed this? If I take 50mg normal niacin (flushing) it seems to contribute to methylation, while if I take 50mg niacinamide, it slows down methylation and too much makes me depressed/lethargic. Niacinamide has been more useful if I'm feeling overmethylated, while niacin does...
  14. J

More sensitive to niacinamide than regular niacine

Something strange I've noticed, even small pinches of niacinamide capsule 10mg-20mg is much more powerful at undermethylating me. I can take 50mg-100mg of plain niacin and it barely has any effect on slowing methylation. I was expecting both to have the same effect but the result was very different.
  15. J

Does methylation increase acetylcholine in the brain?

I have a problem with excess choline, I become depressed & lethargic. I have to take benedryl (anticholinergic) a couple times per week. Upon taking it, the depression lifts and I feel better for several days.I wonder if there might be some cofactor or vitamin, I'm not aware of, that would help...
  16. J

Methylated B-vitamins exacerbating autoimmune symptoms?

I think I figured something out. I took some hydroxyb12 and it helped a lot. At first it made me feel weird but then combined with little doses of all the other b-vitamins (except b6), the gears started turning. Previously I was just taking methyl-b12, which makes me feel alert. I always...
  17. J

unfortunately folinic acid and hydroxo b12 make me lethargic and depressed. Maybe I need extra SAM-E with it to work?
  18. J

Methyl-folate, P5P, methyl-b12 are the only thing that helps with my fatigue, depression, and cognitive functioning. Unfortunately they seem to increase my autoimmune symptoms (ankylosing spondylitis). Any ideas why this is?
  19. J

B vitamins causing flare up? Do I have low homocysteine?

Cyanob12 and hydroxyb12 both suck up methyl groups, the only one that didn't make me feel crappy was methylb12. Have you tried sam-e? There's definitely something to this methylation stuff, the problem is it doesn't work for everyone and so called "experts" all have different, incomplete...
  20. J

What type of b12 did you try? Sounds like you're an undermethylator, b3 and b2 would break down neurotransmitters. What works for my mood is methyl b12 (very small amount swallowed) combined with folinic acid (not methylfolate) or a can of spinach for folate. If I feel too...
  21. J

I suspect P5P causes my RA to flare. Any idea why? My guess is homocysteine is too low, should I take methionine?
  22. J

Multivitamin without folate?

I'm looking for a multivitamin (both kids or adult), that contains no folates (no folic acid OR methylfolate). If anyone knows of such, would be greatly appreciated.
  23. J

Which form of niacin, for overmethylation?

Does flush free niacin work to drop methyl groups for individuals who are overmethylated (niacinamide, inositol hexanicotinate), or only flush niacian (nicotinic acid)?
  24. J

Does anyone get ringing in ears from b vitamins?

I get a high pitch frequency sound mainly in one ear, it sounds different from tinnitus and not as bad. It's hard to tell what causes it because it comes on randomly, sometimes from food and sometimes from methylfolate.
  25. J

Methylfolate causing ringing in ear

When I take methylfolate with methylb12, I get a high pitched ringing in my left ear only that lasts all day. This only happens when I take methylfolate, not b12 alone. It doesn't sound like normal tinnitus, it sounds more like a TV and the frequencies rapidly change. Any ideas as to the...
  26. J

Hydroxycobalamin, low nitric oxide?

On my nutrahacker report it says low nitric oxdide due to rs1801131 MTHFR. Since hydroxyb12 is a NO scavenger, does this mean it should be avoided? I've tried both hydroxyb12 and methylb12, they both feel the same (no negatives from either). rs4633 COMT - encourage hydroxyb12, avoid methylb12...
  27. J

New From Amy Yasko - Multivitamin and Book

I was also very confused by this upon going to Amy Yasko's site, only to find it recommend a ton of BS supplements, many of which contain folic acid. I don't see how she can be taken seriously after that.
  28. J

Lowest dose adenosylcobalamin on the market?

The cheapest one I found has 3000mcg, I will have to crush the pill up and measure smaller amounts. Are there any online that have smaller amounts per pill?
  29. J

Nutrahacker help with 23andme report

I would like to know more about this also.
  30. J

who uses lithium orotate and how much?

I take 5 mg whenever I need to focus. It helps a lot with brainfog. I take in the day time, not night. Slowly titrate off of your benzos and onto a natural alternative: l-theanine and bacopa. Good thread on getting off benzos and treating anxiety naturally...