• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Worsening of teeth health

Rufous McKinney

an electric toothbrush and the ultrasonic one

the sound one....perhaps is doing less direct brushing of the enamel, so it might be more protective of weak enamel....I have one of those. It works fairly well. They seem to not have a very long shelf life (the die often, therefore costs alot to keep it going)

I sometimes then do a bit of brushing with a brush, after..

lenora

Hello everyone.

One of the reasons the dentist wants to see every six months is that new cavities can form in that time frame. I know....it doesn't sound believable, but it's true.

I said to use Sensodyne products for mouth problems, but it should have read Biotene. There are a number of products under the latter name. The one I find best is the gel and I use it whenever I awaken at night. Just a dab and spread it around your mouth. It helps and according to my dentist, that's about the best at this time.

@Mouse girl....I also had a bad spell of abcesses (2) resulting in pulling of teeth, multiple root canals that had to be done again due to age plus multiple cavities because fillings were old. I didn't have a water-pik then or an electric toothbrush.

I can't recommend both highly enough. Ask your dentist which type is best...they know. There are so many on the market now and don't forget to replace your head as needed. (You can buy replacement heads).

Finally, at age 76, I was given the "all clear" but believe me, I take nothing for granted. I do show up every six months and yes, it's difficult. Dentistry has come so far in the past no. of years. I remember when root canals were first done. Dentures are still difficult (this from people who have them). I have a bridge and have to say it's a nuisance when it comes to eating.

A lot of people don't have their teeth cleaned often enough. It's the gums that are often the problem, not the teeth. New machines, new dentistry....it all makes a difference, but it's not cheap.

Try Biotene gel....it may work for you, I hope so. And yes, I believe that genetics is a problem. Yours, Lenora

lenora

Gosh, @Judee, anything's possible. Try the gel.....just spread it around your gums, tongue and teeth (use your tongue). I have found that to be the most helpful. Good luck! Yours, Lenora

L'engle

moogle
@Judee I do the same thing as @lenora and just spread the toothpaste around. I only use a toothnrush once a day or my teeth start to hurt more.

Like others here I've had problems with dry mouth. I'm finding goldenseal noticeably improves saliva flow overnight after I take it.

lenora

Keep the gel on your bedside table for use if you wake up in the night. Saves a trip to the bathroom. The idea is to keep your gums & all mucous membranes in your mouth lubricated. I'm sure you can keep your goldenseal there too....right, L'engle? Yours, Lenora

lenora

Acidic foods are especially bad for the enamel of the teeth themselves. Apparently you shouldn't even brush your teeth for 20 min. after having a good containing say lemons, limes, vinegar and the like.

I don't know about liver, but it must be good for the gums. I'd like to find out more about it. Yours, Lenora

Rufous McKinney

Is this golden seal that contains berberine?

well, apparently YES.

"The bioactive components of goldenseal are believed to be a series of isoquinoline alkaloids including hydrastine, 1.5–4.0%, w/w; berberine, 0.5–6.0%, w/w; and canadine, 0.5–1.0%; w/w; (10–17; Figure 1)." googling says.

I'm not supposed to consume berberine on its own. I haven't taken golden seal internally for many years.

I tend to use it externally more.

Long ago, my general cure for getting common colds and flus was to consume aloe vera juice with golden seal in it. And then I'd go bake myself at the Steam baths.

comfrey was another herb we swore by. (tea, for the lungs and coughs)