• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Wigan Today: Chronic fatigue sufferers could benefit from new research

John Mac

I have been trying to envisage what sort of contractual, licensing and fee (in either direction) arrangements would have to be in place to enable an NHS Hospital to conduct a trial of a process trademarked and licensed by one of its staff members. It will be interesting to see details of the funding arrangements.

It would be interesting to see how nhs time and facilities are costed and whether full costs are recouped from the trademark owner.

Perhaps all will become clear. I am not confident.

Dr Perrin isn't employed by the NHS and I was told he funded this study himself including paying the NHS staff overtime (the study was conducted at the weekend in an office building, unheated in november)

Chrisb

Dr Perrin isn't employed by the NHS and I was told he funded this study himself including paying the NHS staff overtime (the study was conducted at the weekend in an office building, unheated in november)

Fair enough.

The mention of the terms "lead clinician and researcher for the treatment" and "the project at Wrightington Hospital" seem designed to give to a private enterprise the aura of respectability of research conducted under the NHS. This may have been wholly unintentional and may in any event have been wholly down to the reporting.

And if NHS research into ME have an aura of respectability.