• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Why Fat Doesn't Make You Fat

drob31

I don´t know about weight loss/gain, but mice live a lot longer on a high-carb diet than on a high-protein or a high-fat one. This has something to do with IGF1.

I get most of my calories from rice, and I lost 7 kilos last year. It helps if the carb isn´t a tasty carb.

I thought rice said "mice" for a second there. LOL :nervous:

drob31

Higher carbs will decrease the amount of cortisol needed thus "lowering" cortisol (lowering the amount you need, which is a good thing). This is because when you eat more fats, and also when you enter ketosis, your body relies more on gluconeogenesis, and this requires much more cortisol. By eating carbs you take a burden off your adrenal glands.

When I eat more carbs, I mean low GI carbs you aren't sensitive to that are paleo friendly and or autoimmune paleo diet friendly like jasmine rice. And also not 300 carbs at a time. Perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 cup. I used to eat nearly zero to 50 carbs for a decade and this probably contributed to my current state.

Last edited:

Mij

I eat fairly large amounts of coconut oil and don't gain weight.

When I went gluten free for 6 months I lost weight very quickly.

mgk

@Gondwanaland: Great talk, thanks for posting. I had trouble following all the stuff he went into near the end because it was too technical for my tired brain today but I'm going to watch it again another time.

Here are a few slides I pulled out that I thought were worth saving:

AKWEgRY.png

ZpdHiEV.png

Gondwanaland

Fructose has been considered as a cause of obesity, but I believe it is mainly just the US which switched to using fructose and glucose (from high-fructose corn syrup) in their soft drinks, some time in the 1970s or 1980s I believe.

Soft drinks in Europe still use the original sucrose. Mexico also uses the original sucrose, which is why Mexican Coca-Cola tastes different to US Coca-Cola.
Have you watched on youtube the BBC special about "The Men Who Made Us Fat"? It tells the whole story behind the HFCS.

Gondwanaland

@Gondwanaland: Great talk, thanks for posting. I had trouble following all the stuff he went into near the end because it was too technical for my tired brain today but I'm going to watch it again another time.

Here are a few slides I pulled out that I thought were worth saving:
Thanks for the slides, very interesting indeed.

mgk

His point about gelatinous foods reminds me. One food that I don't eat as often as I want to is bone broth. My grandmas used to make their own all the time. I remember those ugly boiling chicken feet as a kid. It takes a lot of effort to do though and stinks the whole place up!

I make do with a lazy version: warm milk + gelatin powder + blackstrap molasses (good source of minerals and tastes good anyway).

Last edited:

Mij

Is it cheese that you would miss? There are some pretty good vegan cheeses now. :)

Well, it's the yogurt, kefir and milk in my latté that I would find hard to eliminate. I like cheese but I have gone months without it. I've not tried vegan cheese but will try it someday.

I was surprised how easy going gluten free was. I did not miss bread at all.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Well, it's the yogurt, kefir and milk in my latté that I would find hard to eliminate. I like cheese but I have gone months without it. I've not tried vegan cheese but will try it someday.

I was surprised how easy going gluten free was. I did not miss bread at all.
You can get (or make) non-dairy yoghurt. I'm having soya yoghurt at the moment but am going to try to make some with coconut milk thickened with agar. There is a range of plant milks, but don't make the mistake of trying coconut milk in tea - it's disgusting (at least to my taste; but OK in coffee).

According to this site and others, you can make soya (and maybe other plant milk) kefir.

I still have some bread - it's just gluten-free.

JaimeS

And I lost my excess weight by reducing carbs, but the weight loss started (effortlessly) when I cut out gluten.

Yup! Ditto. Also when I gave up aspartame, I got the same, sudden weight loss. Same for dairy.

In case you guys are wondering, I still eat things. Plenty of things. The same number of calories, even.

JaimeS

This is interesting. Are there any theories or studies on why this might be the case?

Yes; the theory goes something like this.

1) You drink artificial sweetener.
2) Your tongue registers 'sweet'.
3) Your body produces insulin.
4) ...but there's no sugar to digest. Darn!
5) Your blood sugar is dropping! You should probably eat something.

Rinse and repeat.

If I'm right about the general mechanism, this is probably the case with multiple artificial sweeteners, not just aspartame, which also has the distinction of being defined as a neurotoxin. It also screws with your intestinal flora, in case anyone needed more incentive to stay away. One study suggests that this might be how it shifts people towards glucose intolerance.

My theory requires that anything that fits into a sweet receptor can trigger insulin response, so any sweetener that isn't sugar, honey, molasses, or fruit sugar is suspect.

This isn't a 'me' thing. I remember quite a few people telling me that they stopped diet soda and the weight dropped off them. I also know many people who diet relentlessly and can't lose weight, but they chug liters of diet soda every day. Of course, that part is anecdotal.

More anecdotal evidence: Diet Coke was first released in 1982.

-J

Large Donner

Interesting, and also interesting how robotic it is to eat a fast food meal and order a diet coke alongside it.

Now that would have been a smart maneuver to come up with in the nutrient lacking, air filled, fast food industry wouldn't it.

Always hungry and always thirsty. Hmmmm.

JaimeS

Now that would have been a smart maneuver to come up with in the nutrient lacking, air filled, fast food industry wouldn't it.

Always hungry and always thirsty. Hmmmm.

The salt doesn't hurt in that respect, either. ;)

I am not often interested in conspiracy theories, but I think there might be one about the approval of... Nutrasweet, maybe?

Either way, I think generally people do the minimum of testing to ensure that a product won't kill you right away, and then if they think it'll make them money, they put it on the market. I'll lay dollars to donuts they had no idea it made you hungrier (or fatter) at the time. ;)

-J