• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

what has been your most bizarre symptom/symptoms?

Wolfcub

Weird symptom, which has stopped now thankfully.

Feeling nauseous, and craving sardines and butter at the same time. :rofl: Sometimes that symptom was more sensible, and I would crave sardines and butter five minutes after feeling nauseous. The doc said "had I thought I might be pregnant?"
(Both of us know I am 65) We had a laugh at that one.
But my local stores got cleaned out of canned sardines during that 3-4 week craziness.
It was a vitamin D craving. It stopped when I took D3.

Wolfcub

mine has to be smelling wierd pleasant smelling things randomly. It doesn't drive me crazy, probably drives the people around me insane as I ask a bunch of times "do you guys smell that! Isn't it amazing?" Kind of smells like candles or cookies or something. I've never tried telling my Dr. She already thinks I'm Looney. :confused:

....And sometimes I smell dogs, though there aren't any around. Different dog-like scents, like one different dog after the other mooching about. That has to be the craziest symptom.

When asked, "Who's there?" I said, "It's me," because I couldn't remember my own name.

Also, for short periods I forgot English, my only language. Looking at a simple book, letters looked like gibberish worse than Greek. Another time, listening to my boss asking me to do something, I could not understand what she was saying, but saw she was getting really frustrated asking me over and over while I just stared at her, trying to remember English. All I could say was, "I don't understand," and couldn't explain further. Then I started understanding bits, namely that she started asking me if I just didn't want to do it because I thought I had a better idea and didn't think her way was good, but I still couldn't say anything besides, "I don't understand."

There was a third person standing there with us, and I was feeling like I was going to pass out and my gaze and head would drift up to the sky and get really dizzy periodically, but to my surprise I didn't fall over. I kept glancing at the other person in hopes one of them would recognize that this was abnormal and I needed medical attention, but neither noticed! Eventually my boss pointed at someone else doing it (an extremely simple task a toddler could do), and visually I could comprehend a little what she wanted me to do, so I nodded and headed toward the other worker. At this point, the two who had been with me left, never to know that there was anything unusual going on.

Was in charge of overseeing a reaction in early years of illness, and it started going consistently too fast day after day. During the same period I was feeling as if poison was running through my veins and seriously wondered if I was exuding some hormone or chemical that was speeding up the reaction since I was often in close proximity. A coworker and I were trying to figure out the issue, and I, with all seriousness, shared my hypothesis. She laughed and thought I was just lightening our problem with humor.