• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What effect does getting drunk have on you?

sorin

I actually enjoy often 1-2 glasses of wine in the evening, at dinner. Drinking more than this leads to some neurological weakness, mild headaches, etc. But in general is good because of relaxing effect :)... And actually it goes well with the food, too...

Kenny Banya

So my advice to anyone with CFS and not yet ME would be to steer well clear of booze, even if it gives you this temporary release. As people above have said, it is probably only damaging the liver more and depleting the gut further of probiotics.

https://theconversation.com/health-...ll-the-germs-it-comes-into-contact-with-83504

So what’s the verdict?
Alcohol consumption can lead to some immediate damage to the gut, with greater damage seen at higher concentrations. In theory a high enough alcohol concentration with sufficient exposure to gut or oral tissue could kill bacteria but will in all likelihood also damage the gut lining.

It’s not advised alcohol be used as a regular disinfectant to treat tummy bugs or throat infections.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Friday, a couple of pints gave me soooo much energy and made me feel completely normal for a few hours. Also strangely enough it would leave me without morning Fibromyalgia pain the next morning - ...
{Sidenote: it's funny that Wessely once wrote that Alcohol avoidance was a component of ME/CFS}
It´s almost the same with me, but I differ in the conclusion.

When I was in my later 10th I used to drink beer quit often. One time there happend some strange thing (I liked to play chess, and to people who had about the same horizon on that game I lost to about 66%, I didn´t mind). So, I had drunken a first beer when suddenly a chess friend turned up. And nowe, the more beer I drank the better grew my playing.

In my very early 20s I stopped drinking beer wanting other things to do (as alcohol normaly still disabled me more than it anabled me). Now I had mostly periods where it took my out of balance (but that happend with other things as well).
After doxycycline for three weeks when I was 28 I couldn´t drink for 20 month any beer. After I had got the illness quit severe in 2001 it didn´t make any sense to drink beer.

Then I got the difficult improvement since aug 2015.
In jan 2016 I have drunken beer for the first time after five years, and it was not a good and not a bad effect.
In mart 2016 I felt the next day good after having drunken 0.9l beer (which amount became a standard). I tried other alcoholics (which I never realy liked) and no effect or even a bad one occured. But beer was still fine, especially the next day. I also could try to ride bike for long distances sometimes because if I was going to crash I could drink 0.4l beer of 5% and 0.4l of 2.5% and could go on, sports and beer (but it caused PEM for the next ten days, which hadn´t occured in days I felt worse!).
All the effect lasted for about 16-22 months and has now vanished, whereas I am still improving under difficult circumstances, i.e. symptoms. All for this 22 months I could/can not drink beer in the evenning, I would not be able to sleep.
After six months drinking a second time of my life, I found: The more hops within the beer the better. Since then I drank beer without alcohol as well, but with smaller effect (mainly 1l a day). I tried tea from hops, but it did even bad (I blame the manganese which would be just to much). The complete story worked for such a long time no other (positive) non-supplement treatment was able to by very far.
I stopped drinking beer for days and weeks by force prevanting any addictance. Since half a year I stop autmatically for periods. The months to come every beer will do some harm, as I know my feelings already by earlier times.
So I think it has to do mainly with how the different types of synapses are standing to each other, influenced by changeable strenght of immuneactivitiy.

After all I would guess, along with Jonathan Edwards here somewhere, that there isn´t any serious problem with the gut (even if you were suffering from morbus cohn as he pointed out).

Last edited: