• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

We're almost there- HSV-1 100% gene edited!

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I caught this research article by Ying where they successfully gene-edited HSV 1 to turn the virus into junk DNA by editing four genes on the virus. My subset of CFS/ME is implicated with up to three viruses: HSV-6/7, EBV and CMV. Now that they've successfully gene-edited HSV-1 gene editing HSV-6/7 and the others should be very rapid. If the viruses are causing the mitochondrial fragmentation then turning them into junk DNA should reverse all the downstream changes and return patients to normal minus some reversible deconditioning. I informed the SolveME.ngo foundation about this study. It looks like we are very close to a cure for this subset!

-Ying M, Wang H, Liu T, Han Z, Lin K, Shi Q, Zheng N, Ye T, Gong H, Xu F. CLEAR Strategy Inhibited HSV Proliferation Using Viral Vectors Delivered CRISPR-Cas9. Pathogens. 2023 Jun 7;12(6):814. doi: 10.3390/pathogens12060814. PMID: 37375504; PMCID: PMC10302303.)

Admins, retitle this section "Gene Editing, Antivirals and Immune Modulators"
:happy-cat:

Hoosierfans

How cool would that be?

So how would they turn the viruses already inside us, say EBV that keeps reactivating, into “junk DNA” via gene editing? Would it be some kind of “vaccine” with the gene edited EBV? Or something that carries the CRISPR to the EBV inside us?

I don’t totally understand the science. 🥴

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
So then how would they get that into patients to disable the viruses that are already in us?
Standard drug approval process or emergency use authorization.

I recommend you check in with SolveCFS.org and ask them to start the research.

One would think that Open Medicine Foundation would be doing this as Ron David PhD is a geneticist at Stanford however he's been a nothingburger for years so my expectations are low for Stanford.

Last edited:

Hoosierfans

Standard drug approval process or emergency use authorization.

I recommend you check in with SolveCFS.org and ask them to start the research.

One would think that Open Medicine Foundation would be doing this as Ron David PhD is a geneticist at Stanford however he's been a nothingburger for years so my expectations are low for Stanford.
Sorry if my question wasn’t clear. I meant how would they TREAT us who already have these viruses inside us.

I understand it would have to go through a drug approval process; what I’m not understanding is how they take the ability to disable a virus via CRISPR when that virus is in a Petri dish, and turn that into being able to disable a virus in a human being.

Would it be some sort of vaccine or transplant? An infusion? Something they do to your bone marrow? Sorry I’m just not understanding what the end treatment would look like. 😊

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
  • CRISPR-Cas9 can be delivered into lab rats using various methods:
    • Viral Vectors: Scientists use modified viruses (such as lentiviruses or adeno-associated viruses) to carry the CRISPR components (Cas9 and sgRNA) into the rat’s cells.
    • Electroporation: Electric pulses are applied to the rat’s cells to create temporary pores, allowing the CRISPR components to enter.
    • Direct Injection: The CRISPR components are directly injected into specific tissues or organs.
    • In Vivo Electroporation: This involves injecting the CRISPR components followed by electroporation to deliver them to specific tissues.

Hoosierfans

Thanks @gbells! I need to do a bit more reading on all of this. It’s amazing stuff — and the application to SO many diseases could be huge.

I would love to see @Cort do a write up on this, or Ron Davis (@Janet Dafoe) do one of his periodic video updates on it. Because to my unscientific eye, it does sound like a CURE for all of us with post viral ME / CFS (or those whose viruses keep reactivating). I’d love to know if what I’m understanding (believing???!! 😊) is correct.

gbells

Improved ME from 2 to 6
I would love to see @Cort do a write up on this, or Ron Davis (@Janet Dafoe) do one of his periodic video updates on it. Because to my unscientific eye, it does sound like a CURE for all of us with post viral ME / CFS (or those whose viruses keep reactivating). I’d love to know if what I’m understanding (believing???!! 😊) is correct.
Stanford should be all over this if they are serious about ME/CFS.

Hoosierfans

Stanford should be all over this if they are serious about ME/CFS.
Agreed. Wonder if anyone here has @janet Dafoe’s email. She has mentioned to “email her” in a couple of videos I’ve seen but I’ve never caught her email lol!

I wonder what Prusty and his group think about this. This is one time I wish I had a “twitter” account so I could pose the question. Ahhhh….guess I might need to get one lol.