• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Vitamin D Part II

LINE

I previously posted questions to the community about low Vitamin D and received many suggestions which is appreciated. My Vit D is still low in spite of continued supplementation.

One researcher discussed the issue of an inversion which is the most logical in my situation. The idea is that serum levels of Vitamin D register low (which is the inactive form of Vitamin D) while the active form is normal. The article linked below discusses this very issue, it is found in auto-immune diseases, and I am not sure if it a problem with VDR (Vitamin D receptor),

Another researcher has suggested that Nattokinase and Metformin are able to correct this since they target the VDR.

https://nyaspubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1749-6632.2009.04637.x

LINE

FYI: The Marshall Protocol big feature is reduction of Vitamin D. I am not an expert on this, but the protocol is designed for auto-immune conditions.

They state:

Avoidance of vitamin D​

Main article: Vitamin D in food

The vitamin D derived from supplements is converted into 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25-D), the form of vitamin D which dysregulates the Vitamin D Receptor (VDR), to prevent the innate immune system from functioning properly. Olmesartan (Benicar) can only restore the function of the innate immune system when it does not have to compete with 25-D at the VDR binding sites.

A 25-D level of under 12 ng/ml provides the opportunity for olmesartan to work, and allows the immune system to return to proper function.

Patients on the Marshall Protocol (MP) are required to avoid all ingested forms of vitamin D. When the innate immune system returns to proper function, symptoms (immunopathy, or IP) may increase, but without this return to function, there cannot be cure.

A number of foods contain vitamin D, either naturally or because it has been added during processing. It is important to read labels. However, sometimes a label will not state that a food is supplemented with vitamin D.

The only objective way for a MP patient to determine if they have been successful at avoiding ingesting an excess of vitamin D is to periodically retest their serum 25-D to determine if the target of less than 12 ng/ml has been reached and maintained.

Last edited: