• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

(US) Open Data - public views sought

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I couldn't find a thread on this, which was in NEJM 22nd January.

Open Data
Jeffrey M. Drazen, M.D.

January 22, 2014

In the fall of 2013, the Institute of Medicine (IOM) convened a committee, on which I serve, to examine the sharing of data in the setting of clinical trials. The committee is charged with reviewing current practices on data sharing in the context of randomized, controlled trials and with making recommendations for future data-sharing standards. Over the past few months, the committee has prepared a draft report that reviews current practices on data sharing and lays out a number of potential data-sharing models. Full details regarding the committee's charge and the interim report are available at www.iom.edu/activities/research/sharingclinicaltrialdata.aspx.

The committee has not yet made any recommendations on any aspect of data sharing. Rather, we ask members of the research community and the public at large to read the draft report and to provide comments on it and on our data-sharing models. We plan to issue a report with final recommendations late in 2014. Since data sharing affects everyone who participates in randomized, controlled trials or who benefits from the information gathered in such trials, I urge you to read the report and provide comment for us. I am especially eager to receive feedback from the biomedical community about one issue in particular of the many considered in the report. At the completion of a research study or clinical trial, a first report is often published. Usually, this report contains the key findings of the study but only a small fraction of the data that were gathered to answer the scientific or clinical question at hand. To what extent and for how long should the investigators who performed the research have exclusive access to the data that directly support the published material? And should the full study data set be subject to the same timetable? Open-data advocates argue that all the study data should be available to anyone at the time the first report is published or even earlier. Others argue that to maintain an incentive for researchers to pursue clinical investigations and to give those who gathered the data a chance to prepare and publish further reports, there should be a period of some specified length during which the data gatherers would have exclusive access to the information. Since these researchers could always agree to collaborate with others who were not involved in the study in order to use the data to help answer a scientific question, the period of exclusivity would really apply only to noncollaborative use of the data. That is, there would be a defined period during which the data would not be available to those who wanted to perform their own analyses and draw conclusions that could, for example, provide them with a scientific or commercial competitive advantage over the researchers who had originally gathered the data or allow them to derive conclusions that are potentially at odds with those drawn in the original publication. As members of a community that either produces or uses data, what approach do you think serves our community best? There is no need to reply to the Journal, but please read the interim report and let the IOM know how you feel about this and the many other critical issues related to data sharing that are reviewed in the document. The IOM is collecting comments until March 24, 2014, at www8.nationalacademies.org/cp/projectview.aspx?key=49578

alex3619

If medical research is to be improved then open data is necessary. The debate is really about how to do this. I think that researchers should indeed have exclusive right to data for a period of time, but the debate is really on how long that should be. Immediate release might be too soon, several years later is definitely too late.

If the PACE trial had public data release after one year, then we would now have possibly disproven their findings. So I wonder how much that kind of research will agree with open data? I also wonder what they mean by open data. Its not a drug trial, they might argue that for some reason they should be exempt. They might also have half-way open data, in which the public has no access but only certain groups.