• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Urgent question re: antibiotic

Mel9

I know it is so odd how we both had this exact scenario so close together! No worries re: starting a post and you've been extremely helpful to me.

I am certain now that mine was from the steroids although I am also pretty unlucky overall LOL.

First it was severe pain, then itchy, and now much better with the cream.

Sorry, I think my last post was unclear. She tested my nose with a swab that was sent to a lab and was negative for Staph. She did not actually test my ear and could tell immediately just by looking at it that it was Staph.

Yes, I would love to hear more about this although my MCAS doc has never mentioned it and I suspect he thinks it would be too dangerous for me at this time.

A friend actually pointed out the same info to me (off the board) re: Clarithromycin being in the same class as Z-pack and I am also allergic to erythromycin (spelling?) so am pretty sure this one would not work for me. We are all so different, it is so hard to predict.

My step-daughter used to use tea tree oil but it is one of the products that she can no longer use at home b/c I react so strongly to it (vs. many other scented products of hers that I can tolerate or am even okay with).

Yes that is me (the little allergic freak :eek:) along with my other title which is the Queen of rare side effects :nervous::rofl:.

Glad the antibiotic cream is working now. I am allergic to poly ethylene glycol (PEG) and I think it may be an ingredient? (Check for 'inactive ingredients'. Often not listed so you need to do a search to find PEG in ingredients lists for the product.)

But as the itchiness stopped, and you did not develop a nasty sore? It is probably not relevant.

Strawberry

Definitely cannot do anything with an orange dye, thanks for letting me know! Will inquire about the clarithromycin that Jeff mentioned and another one that someone mentioned to me (not in this thread) called Tindamax if it comes to that point. But hoping the cream alone will work.
Clarithromyacin also has food coloring, so once again please have it compounded if you need to try it. It's pale yellow.

Gingergrrl

Clarithromyacin also has food coloring, so once again please have it compounded if you need to try it. It's pale yellow.

Thanks @Strawberry and everyone and after 1.5 years of this MCAS nonsense, my husband and I check the Daily Med website for the inactive ingredients (which includes dyes/colorings) of all meds and then double verify with the pharmacy. So there is no chance I would accidentally forget this step. Most meds usually have one generic version without a dye but there are a few that do not and those I get compounded.

My ear is so much better in just one day with that cream though that I do not think an antibiotic will be needed which is a huge relief.

You guys are awesome though and I made a list of the recommended ones in case I ever do need to try it in the future. I have not taken an antibiotic in six years (even though I took them constantly throughout childhood) and hoping to keep it this way!

Jennifer J

My ear is so much better in just one day with that cream though that I do not think an antibiotic will be needed which is a huge relief.

Yay, so happy to hear this! You must be elated. Amazing what a difference a day makes on the mupricon.

I'm singing and dancing in my head in celebration of this for you.

I have not taken an antibiotic in six years (even though I took them constantly throughout childhood) and hoping to keep it this way!

I hear you. Same here again. Hopefully, the things that are causing our bodies to react will be able to change for the better or something that will come along (or can be worked out) that we can tolerate them for if there comes a time that we need it.

What a relief to have your ear looking better! :):)