• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Unable to tolerate even the smallest dosage B complex. Help!

I am very sensitive to the B vitamins too but if i keep the individual amounts around RDA(100%) I am able to tolerate and get benefits from it(anti anxiety, some basic energy level).

I think the general rule is not to 'over-supplement'. The body will get used to a certain amount of a non whole food supplement(farmaceutical). I understand that farmaceutical B vitamins are far more powerfull than naturally occuring in food.

bigmillz

I am very sensitive to the B vitamins too but if i keep the individual amounts around RDA(100%) I am able to tolerate and get benefits from it(anti anxiety, some basic energy level).

I think the general rule is not to 'over-supplement'. The body will get used to a certain amount of a non whole food supplement(farmaceutical). I understand that farmaceutical B vitamins are far more powerfull than naturally occuring in food.

I tried a B complex that allowed me to easily take a 33% RDA dose of it all, and it was still too much :(

A short introduction why I am on the forum at all: I am mainly interested in alternative anti-anxiety solutions besides the usual pharmaceuticals(tried a lot of them and still use) which don't do much for me anymore but mask the cause. I am not diagnosed with me/cfs but developed allergies over the years so there may be a link with that.

I started with half a tablet of these cheap B vitamins (to give you an idea of dosages):
Thiamine (Vitamine B1) 10mg (909%*)
Riboflavine (Vitamine B2) 15mg (1071%*)
Niacine 25mg NE (156%*)
Pantotheenzuur(B5) 100mg (1667% *)
Vitamine B6 10mg (714%*)
Vitamine B12 25μg (1000%*)
Foliumzuur(folic acid) 400μg (200%*)
Biotine 100μg (200%*)
Choline Bitartraat 250mg **
Inositol 250mg**
PABA (Para aminobenzoëzuur) 50mg **

But everyone is different in tolerance of course, I probably was very deficient in some of the B's though I don't know yet which one.

Paralee

I'm dealing with B6 toxicity, and it's rough. It's almost as bad as Cipro toxicity-fluoroquinolones.

Too much B6 hits the joints, etc., mentioned above, and also neuropathy. It will pull down your other hormones with it, like the sex hormones and cortisol (maybe others like salt and potassium screwing up, and maybe thyroid?).

Anyway, I'm a mess right now, trying to get out of this and straighten my body back up. Even the cipro poisoning didn't bring down my calcium and pth, I'm pretty sure I have the B6 to thank for that. Don't know what to take to help. B6 and/or 5P5 can mess you up for life sometimes like the cipro, etc. The neuropathy has been bad and likes to hang around, sometimes for life.

If it's not the B6 maybe it's another B, how smart was that? I have never been able to take a B complex and heard somewhere it might be the Taurine? Something that started with a T, and possibly having something to do with the seratonin,

@bigmillz , @Gondwanaland , @frederic83 , and all, thank you. Now to find out how to treat this.

@bigmillz , sorry for taking up too much of your thread, but I've been looking for this info for months.

Gondwanaland

bring down my calcium and pth, I'm pretty sure I have the B6 to thank for that. Don't know what to take to help. B6 and/or 5P5 can mess you up for life sometimes like the cipro, etc. The neuropathy has been bad and likes to hang around, sometimes for life.
You will find useful info about it on the link in my signature "Balancing nutrients". Start by the section on B vitamins.

After my own experience with B6/P5P I would say it is not safe to take more than 1mg of this vitamin daily, yet lots of people seem to do great on it. I had to first interrupt my thyroid replacement and later increase it after 2 weeks on 6mg of P5P (got hyper and then hypothyroid).

B6+Mg should be balanced with B5+Ca.

Critterina

Eat a meal (identical to others with me), experience a very significant crash within the hour. Often following a surge of energy. White rice and potatoes set this off the most for me
There is a condition called reactive hypoglycemia - you may ask to be evaluated for it. For me, fasting blood sugars were in the 80-82 range consistently, but 45 min after breakfast (1 egg, 1 bread, 1 coffee with milk) blood sugars were 65-70. Sometimes they would level out, but often hit 55 within another hour or so. I can imagine the quick carbs you mention creating an insulin surge that drops blood sugar to a crash.