• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Time for the Big Talk. How's the CAA doing?

kurt

I have not read this entire thread (55 pages now!), but do think that we need to give the CAA a chance now. Some big mistakes have been made, but also don't forget that hindsight is 20/20 clear vision. EVERYONE is still learning about CFS, and that includes the CDC and CAA and the individuals involved in those organizations. The CAA may have had some wrong ideas about CFS in the past, but so did a lot of people, they are making changes.

Also, consider that while we do not know exactly what caused the recent shift at the CDC, the CAA did lobby for Reeves to be replaced. How much influence did they have in that change? Probably a lot. Give credit where credit is due. Is more change needed? Absolutely. I agree with anne that the level of anger in the patient community is probably a bit of a revelation to everyone in the CFS research and advocacy world. That is something WPI has accomplished regardless of the outcome of XMRV, they have woken a sleeping giant and I think we will not be ignored or quiet again...

So now that the patient community is more 'mobilized', at least on the Internet, I think we need to leave the past and help this CFS advocacy and research situation move forward, decide what we would like to see happen on behalf of the CFS community.

justinreilly

Advocacy: Keep it Short, Sweet, Simple and Shocking

I must speak plainly. If I didn't know any better, the conclusion I would draw from oerganix's post (#541) and Justin's post (#543) is that the Association has not been advocating for federal research investment dollars in proportion to the devastation caused by CFS. I would be wrong in drawing that conclusion.

The CFIDS Association has been the only organization to invest money in paid professional help in reaching members of Congress and agency employees. I might add that we receive almost $0 per year in contributions restricted to public policy work, so paying those professionals comes out of our unrestricted fund. One could draw the conclusion from those numbers that people do not support our doing such public policy work, but we do not draw that conclusion. We know that banging on doors in Capitol Hill office buildings is the only way of securing meaningful federal investment in CFS research.

The suggestion that the Association has not been doing the lion's share of public policy advocacy is erroneous. We've been doing it for twenty years. We've organized Lobby Day, we send out alerts on the Grassroot Action List and make it easy for individuals to write members of Congress and the media. We've attended every single CFSAC meeting since the committee's first incarnation, and given testimony at most of them.

If anyone wants to help, sign up for our Grassroots Action List. The link is on our home page. Our most recent call for proportional research investment was made during 24 meetings on the Hill at the beginning of March. We are paying for expert help in making a case for CFS research to be included on the list of diseases funded by the Department of Defense medical research program. That's how breast cancer made it into big time research dollars. And Kim McCleary testified at the October 2009 CFSAC meeting calling for - wait for it - federal research investment proportional to the devastation of CFS.

Regarding Dr. Vernon acting as whistle blower, I can see why that idea has appeal. But what is the best use of Dr. Vernon's time and the Association's resources: build the first national CFS Biobank available to researchers doing CFS research? or hold the Banbury meeting that brings researchers together for a weekend of intense information sharing and collaboration? or expand the first ever CFS research network? or monitor the six grants funded by the Association? or facilitate connections between researchers and clinicians with well-characterized and appropriately diagnosed CFS patients (no, she is not promoting the Oxford criteria)? or shopping around some kind of story about CDC to journalists who aren't interested?

I appreciate that CAA has been doing the lion's share of advocacy work. Thank you. Kim McCleary's testimony here and elsewhere shows that she grasps the issues and she does ask for proportionate funding. This may seem like nitpicking, but I view it as important- get attention by clearly and simply stating the issue, with a little context for shock value. And do this over and over.

So, if this were me I would exclude the update on the accomplishments (as worthy as they are) of CAA and simply hammer home:
"We get $3M in NIH funding; Erectile Dysfunction gets $10M, Diabetes gets $300M. The funding needs to be reasonably proportionate to the problem, ie approx $300M/ yr for NIH plus more for CDC. This disease is more disabling than AIDS, but recieves 0.1% of the funding. Please include these figures in the strongest possible recommendation to HHS secretary."

Droning on just loses people's attention. Keep it short, sweet, simple and shocking. Jennie, if you remember from Torts the tort of outrageous conduct, always a favorite of mine, partly because of the definition that it is the sort of conduct that would make a reasonable person stand up and exclaim "That's outrageous!" Well, we have the facts to support such a claim. We know the whole sordid affair is outrageous. When advocating I would plainly present the facts in such a way as to compel such 'exclamations' from those previously unaquainted with facts.

I agree with Otis that media can be made interested in this story. If doors are shut in your face, keep knocking.

I do think that having Dr. Vernon speak out would give far more bang for the buck than her other duties. Obviously we disagree on this point. I'm wondering what others think on this issue including the Board.

justinreilly

CAA must make a committment to change and begin good faith efforts to that end

I have not read this entire thread (55 pages now!), but do think that we need to give the CAA a chance now. Some big mistakes have been made, but also don't forget that hindsight is 20/20 clear vision. EVERYONE is still learning about CFS, and that includes the CDC and CAA and the individuals involved in those organizations. The CAA may have had some wrong ideas about CFS in the past, but so did a lot of people, they are making changes.

Also, consider that while we do not know exactly what caused the recent shift at the CDC, the CAA did lobby for Reeves to be replaced. How much influence did they have in that change? Probably a lot. Give credit where credit is due. Is more change needed? Absolutely. I agree with anne that the level of anger in the patient community is probably a bit of a revelation to everyone in the CFS research and advocacy world. That is something WPI has accomplished regardless of the outcome of XMRV, they have woken a sleeping giant and I think we will not be ignored or quiet again...

So now that the patient community is more 'mobilized', at least on the Internet, I think we need to leave the past and help this CFS advocacy and research situation move forward, decide what we would like to see happen on behalf of the CFS community.

Ok, many of us have certainly put out there what we feel in some detail and had an informative dialogue with Jennie. These things do not change overnight. On the other hand, people have been asking for this sort of change now for years and it seems only marginal progress has been made. I would like to see relatively soon a commitment from CAA to a process of change and begin some good faith efforts toward that end. I haven't seen anything hinting of that yet.

Obviously, to devote energy to change some current projects will need to be scaled back, ie fewer webinars, shorter CFIDSlinks, less funding for research or whatever. I think that's fine and necessary.

When CAA's tone changes significantly they will see rising, instead of falling, revenues. Dr. Vernon says that CAA has successfully 'positioned' itself as the world's leading 'CFS' org. Well, in a few years that maybe WPI. Organizations have to change with the times and serve their constituents or a competitor eventually arises and eats its lunch like HHV-6 eats B cells.

Lily

*Believe*
I appreciate that CAA has been doing the lion's share of advocacy work. Thank you. Kim McCleary's testimony here and elsewhere shows that she grasps the issues and she does ask for proportionate funding. This may seem like nitpicking, but I view it as important- get attention by clearly and simply stating the issue, with a little context for shock value. And do this over and over.

So, if this were me I would exclude the update on the accomplishments (as worthy as they are) of CAA and simply hammer home:
"We get $3M in NIH funding; Erectile Dysfunction gets $10M, Diabetes gets $300M. The funding needs to be reasonably proportionate to the problem, ie approx $300M/ yr for NIH plus more for CDC. This disease is more disabling than AIDS, but recieves 0.1% of the funding. Please include these figures in the strongest possible recommendation to HHS secretary."

Droning on just loses people's attention. Keep it short, sweet, simple and shocking. Jennie, if you remember from Torts the tort of outrageous conduct, always a favorite of mine, partly because of the definition that it is the sort of conduct that would make a reasonable person stand up and exclaim "That's outrageous!" Well, we have the facts to support such a claim. We know the whole sordid affair is outrageous. When advocating I would plainly present the facts in such a way as to compel such 'exclamations' from those previously unaquainted with facts.

I agree with Otis that media can be made interested in this story. If doors are shut in your face, keep knocking.

I do think that having Dr. Vernon speak out would give far more bang for the buck than her other duties. Obviously we disagree on this point. I'm wondering what others think on this issue including the Board.

I don't think it's nit-picking at all, Justin and I'm very much in agreement with what you've said here, with the exception of Dr. Vernon. I'm just not convinced on that one (yet?).

cfs since 1998

Dr. Vernon says that CAA has successfully 'positioned' itself as the world's leading 'CFS' org.
Where have I heard that line before? Oh yeah, Vernon's previous employer, the CDC. CDC likes it pat itself on the back for being the world's leading CFS research institution. Making self-congratulatory statements is what bureaucrats do best.

By the way just in case anyone didn't know, Dr. Vernon makes more money at the CAA than she did at the CDC.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
I do not really think that Dr. Vernon is someone who just does what she is 'ordered' to do, but for the sake of argument, if she were, then her current employer should direct her to publicly expose CDC's decades-long campaign against pwME. If Dr. Vernon is not someone who just does what she is 'ordered' to do then she 'co-authored' the Reeves criteria and otherwise furthered CDC's 'CFS' agenda of her own free will.

Have you followed any of the events of the past year and half regarding the CDC and the CIFDS Association? How they used their political contacts to dig into the CDC's and then publicly exposed them. Where do you think they got the idea from? Who do you think directed them to look at them? Are you thinking about this? I can't believe when I hear some of the stuff. The CAA raked the CDC over the coals. They HATE each other now!

Honestly this is so frustrating. This borders on willful disregard of the facts. I see it ALL the time. Yes, call the CAA on what they don't do but give them credit what they do do. They went after the CDC with a vengeance.

By the way just in case anyone didn't know, Dr. Vernon makes more money at the CAA than she did at the CDC.

So what!

And probably gets, or will get, a Federal pension to boot.

Of course she does. Do you expect that she wouldn't?

oerganix

Where have I heard that line before? Oh yeah, Vernon's previous employer, the CDC. CDC likes it pat itself on the back for being the world's leading CFS research institution. Making self-congratulatory statements is what bureaucrats do best.

And probably gets, or will get, a Federal pension to boot.

Reeves is gone but the melody lingers on!

So far, nothing has really changed at the CDC, re: CFS/ME.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
re: Faces CDC campaign. I traveled to see the "event," which turned out to be a bunch of photos of somber people. There were pamphlets attached to the display, with the theme of "Get informed. Get diagnosed. Get help.” My first thought was "Are they kidding. What do they think I've been trying to do. How about telling me something useful, like where to find a doctor who can do this. Or how to deal with the insults. Or how to make some sense of what I'm feeling." And then the rest of it was just the marginal information from the CDC website. I felt it was worse than nothing, because just getting to and from this display caused me a crash. But I spent the next month looking at the pamphlet for a grain of something to hang onto. It wasn't there.

They spent over 1 million dollars on this. If they had taken that money and spent it on accomplishing a name change, it would have done a lot more good than a bunch of photos and useless information. It could have brought just as much publicity, and sent an important message. But that's what happens when you get into bed with the CDC.

Andrew, you're missing some key points I think. The Exhibit wasn't for you - it was for the uninformed public. The CAA didn't spend any money - it was all money they got out of the CDC. Maybe you're different but if someone's going to give me a million dollars to talk about CFS in a venue that isn't optimal then I'm not going to turn my nose up at it.

I don't know why you believe the CDC is going to give the CAA a million dollars to fight for a name change that they've publicly said they don't want. That was obviously not an option with this money.

Every chance we have to get our 'Faces' before the public whether its a traveling exhibit to high traffic site, or ads in journals or on TV or on the radio run the Internet - man, I'm all for that.

That was the first media campaign on any disease that the CDC had ever run. Congratulations to Kim McCleary and the CFIDS Association for figured out a way to get the CDC to pay for something like that.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
There needs to be a name change now (to ME or ME/CFIDS) and the only way this will happen is if CAA leads by calling the disease ME or ME/CFIDS.

I believe that the CFIDS Association should call this disease ME/CFS. That is becoming the de facto name of the disease. Several organizations in the UK call it that; the IACFS/ME calls it that; the WPI calls it that.
Hopefully they will too at some point.

oerganix

Jennie said: "We know that banging on doors in Capitol Hill office buildings is the only way of securing meaningful federal investment in CFS research."

I and other here have disagreed with that idea, or said that it isn't enough, or that other methods have proven more successful for other illnesses. It's not that I don't understand that you all at CAA are working for what you see as our best interests. I do understand that and I do appreciate it. And I reserve the right to say, it's not enough, contrary to Cort's opinion that we should just shut up accept whatever comes out of CAA.

It's that many of us don't feel like you are listening to what we want, while at the same time telling us 'what is good for us'. It feels condescending, patronizing and seems to echo Cort's opinion that we are too uneducated and inexperienced to form valid opinions of our own.

Perhaps we are a noisy minority, but what I hear, and what I'm saying, is I don't want to hear what you've done for us "for the last 20 years". I put my faith and my donations in CAA in the past and I don't feel like it was very effective. I accept that there may reasons and excuses for that.

The XMRV discovery, whether it turns out to be causal or not, was the start of a new era. It calls for a new way of thinking and acting. What some of us are saying is, don't keep doing the same thing now. Capitalize on the momentum. Ride the wave. It could be "now or never" for the whole field of research, as the psych lobby prepares to do the same thing here that they have done in UK and parts of Europe. Pretending that the psych lobby is playing fair when there is so much evidence to the contrary is just wishful thinking.

It is certainly now or never for those of us who probably won't be alive at the end of the next 20 years. We really want CAA to make the difference...we still care. When we stop talking to you and about you, it will be because we have formed or moved on to a more agressive organization, or because we have lost faith in ANY advocacy.

""We know that banging on doors in Capitol Hill office buildings is the only way of securing meaningful federal investment in CFS research."

This schmoozing with the powers that be, instead of acting out and opposing the status quo is old-style thinking and acting. It is the way of insiders and those who identify with and/or want to be insiders. If anything, this illness has shown us that we are outsiders. After 20 years of being outsiders, we need to storm the walls, not ask to be invited in.

oerganix

Re: FACES exhibit, Cort said: "That was the first media campaign on any disease that the CDC had ever run. Congratulations to Kim McCleary and the CFIDS Association for figured out a way to get the CDC to pay for something like that."

Something like what? What good did it do anyone suffering from this illness? What do our faces, which mostly look pretty healthy, have to do with the reality of living with this? I would have preferred 100 brain scans showing the lesions that look similar to AIDS or Alzhiemers. Not enough brain scans available? Pay for some!

I had some friends who know I have ME/CFS who saw FACES. They asked me, What was that all about? It didn't have a message, really. What were we supposed to take away from that?

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
And I reserve the right to say, it's not enough, contrary to Cort's opinion that we should just shut up accept whatever comes out of CAA.

C'mon! This is just unfair. I've stated several criticisms of the CAA. Shall I go over some of them?

• SPARKS Document - overemphasis on CBT, not enough discussion of other treatments
  • Advocacy is not provocative enough - should use more inflammatory language
  • Not enough information on treatments - basically too conservative on the treatment end
  • Should use ME/CFS rather than CFS or CFIDS
  • Were too harsh in their initial response to XMRV thus deflating the community
  • Have not until now interacted with the Community enough. Thanks to Jennie that's taken care of here now
  • Its clear as well that the CAA has not been as effective as one would hope with advocacy. On the other hand they have had some real successes; the creation of the CFSAC panel, the Social Security ruling, the CFS SEP panel..... but research funding has dropped dramatically...a big problem. On the other hand they don't get much support from the CFS community. Part of this is due to things like SPARK's, part of it is due to crazy rumors that take hold in the community, part of it is due to their mostly standing aloof from the community (until now with Jennie here and with their Facebook page). Its a complex issue.

There it is black and white. You can read it - CFIDS Association can read it. Its with me forever. Can we get over this notion that I'm a knee jerk proponent of the CAA?

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Something like what? What good did it do anyone suffering from this illness? What do our faces, which mostly look pretty healthy, have to do with the reality of living with this? I would have preferred 100 brain scans showing the lesions that look similar to AIDS or Alzhiemers. Not enough brain scans available? Pay for some!

Are you suggesting the CAA should have used the CDC's media money for brain scans? They're never going to give the CAA money to do brain scans. They got the money that they could and they used it.

What did it do? It got the word out that CFS was a real and serious disease that happened to real people. Maybe you would have done it differently - but the idea and the effort was a good one.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
This is my take on advocacy in CFS.

Last year I created a group on this forum that was designed to take the CDC's program on CFS down at the CFSAC meeting. I did everything that I believed the CFIDS Association was not doing. I used deliberately provocative language. I emphasized how important the goal was and what a golden opportunity we had. The CDC was about to present a draft of its five-year plan. If we could show up in force to get some media attention perhaps we could really get their attention.. We knew that ME/CFS professionals were going to be there and testify - we just needed the patients. I presented this - as it was explained to me - as a once in a decade opportunity to make a difference in the CDC's program.

I sent an invitation to everyone that subscribes to the newsletter - about 3500 people. I sent an invitation to everybody on the forums. I put a big ad on the front of my website.

I got 48 people. After that I pretty much stopped blaming the CFIDS Association for their lack of success at advocacy. I was looking back at old Chronicle that dated back to the time of the CDC scandal. It was right during the Congressional hearings on the subject. The CAA was able to get about 50 people to their lobby day that year.

It's not them or just them - its us as well! We have a pitiful record on advocacy. Dr. Peterson has talked about it in very blunt terms and its true.

oerganix

C'mon! This is just unfair. I've stated several criticisms of the CAA. Shall I go over some of them?

• SPARKS Document - overemphasis on CBT, not enough discussion of other treatments
  • Advocacy is not provocative enough - should use more inflammatory language
  • Not enough information on treatments - basically too conservative on the treatment end
  • Should use ME/CFS rather than CFS or CFIDS
  • Were too harsh in their initial response to XMRV thus deflating the community
  • Have not until now interacted with the Community enough. Thanks to Jennie that's taken care of here now
  • Its clear as well that the CAA has not been as effective as one would hope with advocacy. On the other hand they have had some real successes; the creation of the CFSAC panel, the Social Security ruling, the CFS SEP panel..... but research funding has dropped dramatically...a big problem. On the other hand they don't get much support from the CFS community. Part of this is due to things like SPARK's, part of it is due to crazy rumors that take hold in the community, part of it is due to their mostly standing aloof from the community (until now with Jennie here and with their Facebook page). Its a complex issue.
There it is black and white. You can read it - CFIDS Association can read it. Its with me forever. Can we get over this notion that I'm a knee jerk proponent of the CAA?

Cort, I was responding to your suggestion on the "CAA is listening" thread that we "call it quits" and to your other suggestions that we should not question Dr Vernon, as she is the "expert". I'm sorry if you think my interpretation is that you want us to shut up is unfair. That's how I took it, and so did Koan, if you recall.

You have also inferred that those of us who see it differently are distorting the facts and not thinking clearly. I have had the same impression of some of your posts lately, but I do respect your right to see it differently and say so. I resisted the temptation to respond in the affirmative when you said that if we thought you were in "la la land" we should say so.:Retro wink: The fact that you defended the article on GET/CBT for a long time before admitting you hadn't actually read it....then stated some criticism of it, gave me the impression that your loyalty to CAA was stronger than the facts warranted.

I do not think you are a "knee jerk proponent of the CAA", but I do think that at times your loyalty produces a biased response. Just my opinion, and worth no more than anyone elses.

Your article on WPI/XMRV (Check,check,check) was well reasoned and well written. Thank you for that.

Again I do not think you are a knee jerk proponent of anything and I really appreciate the work you have put into on this forum and all that you continue to do here. I see you as trying to be moderate on all issues, which may be appropriate for a site owner. I see myself as the prodder, poker, bitcher and noticer of all things I see as imperfect, hoping just to influence a better outcome for all. I'm not trying to tear CAA down. I'd like to see it stronger and more effective. I don't think looking the other way when they make what I see as mistakes is going to do that. And I am genuinely puzzled by Dr Vernon's words and behavior.

To quote one of my favorite posters,
Peace out!

mezombie

With all due respect, Cort, many, many of us are simply too sick to participate in CFSAC meetings or the CAA's lobby days.

I have done both in the past and suffered a huge relapse afterwards. I live alone and have no one to take care of me, a situation shared by many.

I managed, with another advocate, to get reporters to show up at another CFSAC meeting. Unfortunately, just like this past one, it was not considered newsworthy.

Please keep in mind that many people did write in and/or provided video testimony for the last CFSAC meeting.

Success at lobbying for an ill population depends less on numbers of ill people showing up than well-crafted messages and connections. I hope B & D Consulting is giving the CAA its money's worth on that front.

usedtobeperkytina

Well

Well, I was so thankful to CAA when I first got sick. The first Chronicle I got had an article about tips of how to pace and try to lessen symptoms / crashes if you are working. And follow up issues provided information on studies. I guess this was before I found the other message board and long before I found this one. That was so helpful at that time. Just what I needed and more. Not to mention, the layout and the articles were very professionally done.

Yet, as I learned more about these organizations, CAA included, the CDC, the UK mess, and more, I saw patients not happy with CAA. Given that many are in desperation and the offenses of the local doctor and government, naturally patients will want CAA to speak and push more aggressively.

At first, CAA found that trying to cooperate with government agencies and convincing Congressmen who hold taxpayer purse strings would be the best way. In general, I would agree that often that is the best approach.

As a news reporter, I have often seen that groups on opposing sides of an issue are closer to agreement than they realize, but they become so polarized by the extreme but small and more outspoken portion of their side, and they vilify the opposition to the point they aren't talking. And no talking means these two groups, the majority of which are inches from each other in what they believe, end up struggling instead of finding compromise, or even realizing they actually 90% agree. To make progress, most often, it is compromise from those in the middle, instead of one side barreling over the other by shear numbers and force. So I absolutely understand why there was talking instead of attacking with CDC for a while.

I think CAA was under the misconception that biological evidence would change the view. They underestimated the bigger role that ego, bias and sexism would play in the decisions of CDC.

I have also not seen any effort to reveal to Congress the true public health issue this is. Sorry, figures don't mean anything. A picture of one person sick on the bed doesn't mean anything (sad, but that is one person). I think in the case of Congressmen, they would respond more to public demonstrations that get media coverage. Even figures of cost to economy doesn't mean anything, every illness costs the economy.

And that brings me back to another point. Sometimes aggressive public demands are the only way, despite what I said above. While talking and cooperating is the way of progress most of the time, it does have its limitations when other motivations are stronger. Case in point are the demonstrations that ended the US involvement in the Vietnam War. It was public outcry, thanks in part to media coverage of demonstrations, that put the pressure on politicians that changed their actions. People expressing their opinions or talking privately would not have worked in that case.

So, CAA is now aware. Instead of rallying a public awareness campaign (type of demonstration) or news generating campaign, they are putting their limited funds into research and lobbying still, as they have abandoned the effort to massage CDC into seeing the light. I can't disagree with that, although I think we now have multiple organizations doing research or funding research, can we make that more efficient? But this was another case of figuring out CDC was not going to do it so patients had to fund the right type of research themselves.

But that leaves a void of educating doctors (not passively, a brochure, but actively), and public awareness. (Is CAA working to get knowledgeable CFS doctors to speak at conferences of regular doctors?)

I appreciate CAA's work in the SPARK campaign. And, I also appreciate CDC giving money for that. That was some admission of neglect on their (CDC) part, although no admission of error. Still I don't know if it was executed well. I think the point was to show that it is anyone who can get this and that they may look healthy. If that was the point, the faces were effective. But it didn't show the severity of the illness (in some cases) and did not show numbers of affected (just saying the number isn't enough, a chart, something visual would have been better), and it didn't change minds as to the biological nature of it.

Of course, maybe some of that was included. I wouldn't know, it did not come into my state. My state was missed completely. The Birmingham / Hoover (AL) metropolitan area is ranked 48 in population and we have lots of hospitals and doctors here. I know they couldn't get to everyone, funds being what they are, but I am afraid the SPARK campaign did nothing to help me or the public awareness in my area, and as far as I know, did nothing to educate doctors in my area.

And, I have sent messages to Dr. Donnica asking her if she will take a proactive approach to public awareness in her new responsibilities at WPI. I asked through this board, which she used to post on and through her Facebook account. Weeks now, and I have not gotten an answer. While I believe it would be nice if she did, I now question whether it is appropriate for a research lab to campaign for public awareness of an illness or to spend money on trying to convince public or doctors of what they believe about an illness. It may be seen as conflict of interest since they are supposed to be unbiased researchers. Hard to be advocate and be objective, credible scientists also. So trying to do advertising campaigns might not be appropriate. It would be for CAA, which was set up first as advocacy. But, the problem is, they have very little funds now.

I was talking to someone else in the chat room. This other person has experience in garnering media attention to health issues (not CFS). I have experience on the other side, of what reporters look for to decide what to cover. We were bouncing around some ideas. I would hate to start another organization to do CFS advocacy, there are already so many. But no one is now working to get public awareness, as far as can be seen.

If I was to advise CAA, I would say.... get the public, media and patients on your side first, then the politicians will follow. So maybe lobbying is not the best use of resources right now. When media runs stories of people laying down on the sidewalk to show how sick they are, and it happens across the nation at once, the politicians will take notice. If not that, there are other ways to get it into the public consciousness.

I watch a lot of T.V. So I sit and see "Relay for Life" with everyone wearing pink ribbons. I see commercials for the "Go Red" campaign, sponsored by Campbell's. And all we do is send letters to Congress, every spring, every fall, every spring, every fall. Nothing changes. Just more and more money mostly going to research that hasn't changed CDC, Congress or public. We are not doing anything to bring the illness out of the bedrooms and into the public's eye, right now.

Secondly, I would advise to get information to doctors in way they consider credible. I know CDC was hoped to become that source, but it didn't happen. Move on. Find another credible source.

And, I have an issue with CAA that I have spoken to Jennifer about privately. I will be checking back in a few months to see if it changes. But until that time, I think that when CAA puts the call out for us to participate in any kind of effort, even if it is not to the public or doctors but to politicians, we should support it. In time, surely the void will make someone realize that we have got to do something more public before things will change.

Thirdly, I advise CAA to possibly decide whether funding research is the best use of money, in the absence of public awareness. While research is surely needed, given the lack of it from the government, there are others that are doing that, WPI and more. Is it efficient? Maybe it is. I don't know. But that needs to be looked at. If CAA determines research is priority for them in their mission above public awareness campaign, then maybe we do need another organization to be formed for that purpose. Sad, we are already split into fragments already. And I would hate to draw funding away from the work the others are doing. Maybe if CAA would form a campaign plan, then maybe they would get more funding for it and no new organization is needed. Plus, a lot of it can be done without funding. I have been bouncing around an idea for using the Internet to get the news to people of the nature of the illness.

Another issue, of course, is that we are a cantankerous group, inner fights and no one can agree. Anyone that sticks their head out to do something gets lots of complaints against them (see current thread and the other complaining of the NJ thing.) Because of the past ill treatment, we are very sensitive and frustrated and angry. I often say, "We are a tough crowd."

Anyone who wants to do this, please, come up with something attention-getting that has not been done before. Let's be creative, news people love something different.

Tina

Dreambirdie

work in progress
This is my take on advocacy in CFS.

Last year I created a group on this forum that was designed to take the CDC's program on CFS down at the CFSAC meeting. I did everything that I believed the CFIDS Association was not doing. I used deliberately provocative language. I emphasized how important the goal was and what a golden opportunity we had. The CDC was about to present a draft of its five-year plan. If we could show up in force to get some media attention perhaps we could really get their attention.. We knew that ME/CFS professionals were going to be there and testify - we just needed the patients. I presented this - as it was explained to me - as a once in a decade opportunity to make a difference in the CDC's program.

I sent an invitation to everyone that subscribes to the newsletter - about 3500 people. I sent an invitation to everybody on the forums. I put a big ad on the front of my website.

I got 48 people. After that I pretty much stopped blaming the CFIDS Association for their lack of success at advocacy. I was looking back at old Chronicle that dated back to the time of the CDC scandal. It was right during the Congressional hearings on the subject. The CAA was able to get about 50 people to their lobby day that year.

It's not them or just them - its us as well! We have a pitiful record on advocacy. Dr. Peterson has talked about it in very blunt terms and its true.

Thanks Cort for all your hard work on our behalf.

I have worked on other (really important) local environmental issues here in Santa Cruz, and I know EXACTLY what you're talking about. We were (and still are) under the threat of being sprayed with aerial pesticides here--to kill a stupid harmless moth. I got VERY involved in this issue, made a documentary film about it, and did my damnedest to rile up community interest about the dangers of that pesticide spray program. When the time came to act and really make our voices heard, it was ALWAYS the same 40 people who would show up. Everyone else that I spoke with (many whose doors I knocked on personally, exhausted as I was!) would show genuine interest and make sincere promises to help, UNTIL that moment when we REALLY needed them and then.... where were they? Good question, that I never got an answer to.

I don't do politics anymore because of this. Just too frustrating and too exhausting. But I really appreciate those who do, and will help out when I have the energy.

usedtobeperkytina

Dreambirdie

Dreambirdie, you are right.

We need to look in the mirror also, don't we?

I don't know what the answer is. Maybe people just don't think the lobbying or letter writing to Congress is effective. Maybe they think nothing will be. Maybe they just lack resources (we are sick, you know.)

Tina

mezombie

At first, CAA found that trying to cooperate with government agencies and convincing Congressmen who hold taxpayer purse strings would be the best way. In general, I would agree that often that is the best approach.

I think CAA was under the misconception that biological evidence would change the view. They underestimated the bigger role that ego, bias and sexism would play in the decisions of CDC.

I have also not seen any effort to reveal to Congress the true public health issue this is. Sorry, figures don't mean anything. A picture of one person sick on the bed doesn't mean anything (sad, but that is one person). I think in the case of Congressmen, they would respond more to public demonstrations that get media coverage. Even figures of cost to economy doesn't mean anything, every illness costs the economy.

And that brings me back to another point. Sometimes aggressive public demands are the only way, despite what I said above. While talking and cooperating is the way of progress most of the time, it does have its limitations when other motivations are stronger. Case in point are the demonstrations that ended the US involvement in the Vietnam War. It was public outcry, thanks in part to media coverage of demonstrations, that put the pressure on politicians that changed their actions. People expressing their opinions or talking privately would not have worked in that case.

If I was to advise CAA, I would say.... get the public, media and patients on your side first, then the politicians will follow. So maybe lobbying is not the best use of resources right now. When media runs stories of people laying down on the sidewalk to show how sick they are, and it happens across the nation at once, the politicians will take notice. If not that, there are other ways to get it into the public consciousness.

I watch a lot of T.V. So I sit and see "Relay for Life" with everyone wearing pink ribbons. I see commercials for the "Go Red" campaign, sponsored by Campbell's. And all we do is send letters to Congress, every spring, every fall, every spring, every fall. Nothing changes. Just more and more money mostly going to research that hasn't changed CDC, Congress or public. We are not doing anything to bring the illness out of the bedrooms and into the public's eye, right now.

And, anyone who wants to do this, please, come up with something attention-getting that has not been done before. Let's be creative, news people love something different.

Tina

I generally agree with you, Tina.

I think there is a need to lobby Congress for funding, simply because the National Institutes of Health are the largest funders of biomedical research in this country, and possibly the world. And Congress, through its appropriations legislation, is in control of where NIH's money goes.

Yet having public demonstrations, such as a display of the Sock it to ME banners (the discussion about this project on this forum, http://www.forums.aboutmecfs.org/sh...blic-art-project-to-raise-awareness-and-funds), would definitely help. There was an organization, WECAN (World-wide Electronic CFIDS Action Network) that did manage to organize a rally at the Capitol.

Like you, I welcome new ideas.

I was active in advocacy from the pre-internet days up to the early 2000s, when I felt the need to pay attention to my own health for a while. I challenged many misconceptions about ME/CFS advocacy on ProHealth starting in 2006.

I am thrilled to see more people getting involved in advocacy since the XMRV news came out.

Let's brainstorm! (I'm talking to those of you who still have brains!):Retro wink: