• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Thymosin Beta 4 (T?4)

Hey guys,

First time I've signed up to actually post. I've been a long time lurker of these boards and thought Id come to you all to see what you all thought about Thymosin Beta 4 (T?4).

Thymosin Beta 4

T4 is a synthetic version of a naturally occurring peptide present in virtually all human cells. It is a first-in-class drug candidate that promotes endothelial cell differentiation, angiogenesis in dermal tissues, keratinocyte migration, collagen deposition, and down-regulates inflammation. One of T4s key mechanisms of action is its ability to regulate the cell-building protein, actin, a vital component of cell structure and movement. Additionally, T4 directly influences the production of laminin-5, a protein responsible for proper adhesion and migration of certain types of mammalian cells and often deficient in patients with EB. It has also recently been reported that T4 can inhibit or prevent apoptosis (programmed cell death) in ocular tissue and cardiac tissue. Researchers at the National Institutes of Health, and at other academic institutions throughout the U.S., have published numerous scientific articles indicating
Ive had cfs since 2006 and my NKC cytotoxicity is low. I was researching some options and while Zanaxin is difficult to get at the moment, I did find another thymic peptide that seems to boost NKC cytotoxicity.

Here is a study about it...
The Journal of Immunology, 2009, 182, 40.12
Copyright 2009 by The American Association of Immunologists, Inc.
ICAM-1 mediated NK cytotoxicity is enhanced by thymosin beta 4
Ha-reum Lee1 and Dae-Ho Cho1

1 Life Science, Sookmyung Women's University, Seoul, Korea, Republic of

Abstract

Thymosin beta 4, which is the major G-actin sequestering protein, has been shown to have ubiquitous distribution and multiple biological activities. However, thymosin beta 4's functions in relation to natural killer (NK) cells are still unknown. In this study, we show that synthetic thymosin beta 4 peptide increases NK cell cytotoxicity in a dose-dependent manner on human NK cell line, NK-92MI. Addition of thymosin beta 4 enhances NK cell aggregation and intercellular adhesion molecule-1 (ICAM-1) surface expression that are involved in NK cell cytotoxicity. Neutralizing ICAM-1 activity impairs thymosin beta 4-enhanced NK cell cytotoxicity. Furthermore, thymosin beta 4 stimulates degranulation of cytolytic granules, which is verified by CD107a assay, and up-regulates NK cell cytotocixity on primary human NK cells. Our findings revealed that thymosin beta 4 enhances NK cell cytotoxicity mediated by ICAM-1 through secretion of cytolytic granules to target cells. This suggests that thymosin beta 4 is a key activator of NK cell cytotoxicity.

Thus, it does seem to help NKC cytotoxicity however I do have 2 reservations about it. Thymosin beta 4 is a factor in coagulation and my blood is a bit sticky as it is. Im not sure how much it would affect coagulation. The second concern is apoptosis (programmed cell death). Cort did have a post about it where he stated...

"Diagnostic test Patent produced! This is high tech stuff. De Meirleir quite awhile ago proposed that ME/CFS patients had high rates of cell apoptosis (suicide) and that they could trace that, I think, by looking at actin. This appears to be something different but it does assert that cells are dying in CFS patients blood in high amounts and something different happens in them when they do die - which is released into the blood - and can be picked up by this test. They appear to do this on the chromosome level - it really sounds like cutting edge stuff."

Thus, Im not sure what to think of Thymosin Beta 4. Should I look into trying it? If anything, I would try it for trying to boost my NKCs and tissue repair but I dont want a blood clot or more fatigue from it.

Any thoughts?

:D