• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

This study has some interesting information about chronic fatigue plus a remedy

Violeta

Chronic fatigue is the main fatigue-related issue in the clinic, and its prevalence is approximately 10% in the general population [3]. In particular, medically unexplained chronic fatigue, such as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), has a more serious impact on health-related quality of life than brain stroke, angina pectoris, or schizophrenia.

Additionally, central fatigue is a neuromuscular dysfunction, a notable feature of chronic fatigue, that is caused by biochemical alterations in the brain. Unlike peripheral fatigue, which is caused by energy-associated disturbances, mainly in muscles, central fatigue results from dysfunction of synaptic transmission in the central nervous system (CNS) [6]. Clinically, prolonged sleep disturbance and chronic stress are presumed to be inducers of central fatigue and are also major symptoms of pathologic central fatigue and chronic fatigue [7]. Important hypotheses on the pathophysiologic mechanisms of pathologic fatigue like CFS involve disruption of neuroendocrinological homeostasis resulting, for example, from chronic sleep deprivation (SD).

The remedy in this article is panax ginseng.

Korean Red Ginseng Ameliorates Fatigue via Modulation of 5-HT and Corticosterone in a Sleep-Deprived Mouse Model​

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8469198/

Violeta

In particular, medically unexplained chronic fatigue, such as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), has a more serious impact on health-related quality of life than brain stroke, angina pectoris, or schizophrenia [4].

To me it doesn't matter if a study calls the syndrome CFS or ME/CFS.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/26147503/

hapl808

I always wonder about these types of studies - whether it's Iran finding the magic of Saffron or Korea finding the magic of Korean Red Ginseng. That's not to say it's not true - those countries are the only ones interested in studying it. But particularly with ginseng, you can pay $5 for ginseng or $100 for ginseng, so I wish there were more info on it. I've taken various types and found it slightly helpful, but obviously there could be different formulations or dosages that would be better for me.

Violeta

That more studies on herbal remedies are done in some countries than western countries is due to the effect of the culture of the nation. Countries where herbal remedies have been used for years prior to medical studies being done and where the people are more likely to being using herbal remedies will provide funding for studies about the local remedies. The studies are not done to find out if something will do a given thing, but to find out why it is accomplishing something, as they know what the particular item already does from experience.

In the USA, funding is mainly for drugs produced by drug companies, and actually, most people in the USA will take a drug before trying an herbal remedy.

The study linked above has been added to the USA field in English because someone here thought it deserved attention and apparently found it met peer reviewed study rules.

There are different types of panax ginseng depending on how it's processed, and yes, one type, Red Ginseng, is more potent than white ginseng. White ginseng is more affordable, and the least expensive type has fillers.
I found out which type is more potent from reading studies; studies will tell you that the process that turns the ginseng red makes it more potent.

You can test the strength by trying both, which I did, because I first of all bought a red one, Prince of Peace, and then bought a white one, bulk from Bulk Supplements. The red is more powerful and more expensive.

I've seen small vials of Korean Red Ginseng, and they are quite expensive, too expensive for me, but I would think they are more potent and maybe some day will try one of them.

For more information about ginseng, do google searches.