• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

THE STAGES OF METHYLATION AND HEALING

Athene*

Methyl groups combine with nicotinamide/niacinamide/vit B3 to form methylnicotinamide and could thus conceivably deplete vit B3.

Vit B3 deficiency leads to pellagra. Pellagra is marked by the three Ds: diarrhea, dermatitis, dementia.

I had similar symptoms recently and couldn't figure it out. Tried switching folate to Quatrefolic. Tried switching carnitines etc. Nothing worked.
I wondered if it was niacin because of the severe skin symptoms..
The thing is for the first few years on Fred's supplements I had to keep B1, B2 and B3 very low. If I ever tried increasing any of them I would feel great but then crash badly after a few days. Fred describes this phenomenon in several posts.
So (bear with me, this relates to niacin etc) about 15 months ago I began supplementing copper (15-20mg daily) and I made huge progress on it. I had already begun lithium orotate a year or more before that so maybe it helped. Even my white hair (for ten years or more) began to grow out dark brown again (I'm in my late 50s and had gradually gone white since my mid 30s). I now have dark brown hair again, among lots of other more important improvements. I take 6-10mg copper for now.
Anyhow, the point is, I started to fail again about two months ago (including the awful skin symptoms you describe and it did seem to be Pellagra as you just said @Eastman. I couldn't figure it out. Then I searched the forum for Niacin and came across a post of Fred's about copper repletion changing the nutrient pathways and at that stage he needed higher doses (as in the B Right Complex) of B1, B2, B3.
I began the B-Right complex with trepidation, given my previous experience with higher doses of B1, B2, B3.
After a couple of days my energy came back and after a couple of weeks the skin was completely healed.
I've no idea how copper interacts with the Bs. @Eastman I'd be interested to hear your take on it.

Methyl90

What was your initial journey on the protocol? did you start with the quartet or initially with lithium and other B vitamins? @Athene* thanks

Eastman

@Athene

I am not aware of how copper could increase the need for B1, B2 and B3.

Is it possible you were just over-methylating?

As I mentioned in the previous post, methylation may deplete B3, and you are probably aware that I have also made a number of posts highlighting increased need for B1 after methylation treatment.

Athene*

What was your initial journey on the protocol? did you start with the quartet or initially with lithium and other B vitamins? @Athene* thanks
I didn't know about lithium at the start. I don't think Fred did at that stage either but his up-to-date protocol on Quora includes it from the start, once the quartet gets going that is.
If you search Fred Davis B12 on Google it'll take you to his Quora post. I do that whenever I need a reminder.
I've done a long post somewhere on my journey with the protocol. @Johnmac and @Kathevans wrote their stories there too & Gary (can'tremember his handle), maybe others. Not sure which thread it was. I'll try finding it.
PS
It's this thread. Mine is posted in an odd way - got the text in the wrong box somehow, but you'll see it.

Last edited:

Athene*

@Athene

I am not aware of how copper could increase the need for B1, B2 and B3.

Is it possible you were just over-methylating?

As I mentioned in the previous post, methylation may deplete B3, and you are probably aware that I have also made a number of posts highlighting increased need for B1 after methylation treatment.
It's a puzzle. I wasn't able to take the higher doses you spoke about before until after copper was fixed. But I did fine on the lower doses of b1, 2&3 in the end - it was other things that got me going again.
But, after copper repletion I suddenly needed more of each b1 b2 & b3 and was able to handle them.
Before, if I increased any of them I would get a huge need for folate & potassium and even upping doses of folate & potassium couldn't fill the need. It was scary, but once I eased off and returned to low-dose b1,b2 & b3 I was fine within days.
Now I'm fine on the higher doses. Until the carnitine needs switching again, or the folate, which is also happening more since copper repletion.
I am building muscle again though which keeps me going mentally though really it's torture this whole situation as I'm sure others here know only too well.
I am progressing but it's so damn slow. However I was in need of b12 & folate since childhood so I suppose my current situation isn't surprising.
Another good thing though since copper repletion is I'm sleeping 6.5 hours straight most nights with lots of deep & rem.
Circadian rhythm still needs improving though. Actually that seems to have worsened since higher Bs. Any ideas on why that might be?

Methyl90

@Athene* I immediately state that in terms of the gravity of the situation they are among the first places. Disabilities and symptoms that started in childhood and not taken into account have led to major damage / shortages in the long run. I think Fred now supports the use of lithium, vitamins, minerals to accommodate the quartet, therefore including copper. I'm wrong ? I don't think it's a wise idea to take huge doses of B12 and folate if we don't actually have the receptors ready in the kidney and intestines. All nutrients would be excreted in the urine or at worst deposited as toxic. At the moment mine is still a really deep crisis, some days you seem to be a rocket and then you think it is the right way seeing the muscles lightly with a tone ... then I have hypotonia and therefore it is the signal that I am again from the beginning. Journey into Fred's group 3 symptoms ... so you can understand hell. I decided to start again with lithium, titling it every day together with MB12 and copper.

Eastman

Circadian rhythm still needs improving though. Actually that seems to have worsened since higher Bs. Any ideas on why that might be?

If you're having problems sleeping because of higher Bs, then I don't know the reason.

One reason I've seen some suggest is the increased energy the B vitamins give.

Another speculative reason I've seen for sleep problems is increased liver activity, which would be relevant here since the B vitamins are involved in liver detoxification.

Speaking of liver, if your circadian rhythm problems involve daytime sleepiness, consider the possibility of liver disease, since a healthy liver is required to break down melatonin in the morning.

Fatigued Patients with Chronic Liver Disease Have Subtle Aberrations of Sleep, Melatonin and Cortisol Circadian Rhythms

Athene*

If you're having problems sleeping because of higher Bs, then I don't know the reason.

One reason I've seen some suggest is the increased energy the B vitamins give.

Another speculative reason I've seen for sleep problems is increased liver activity, which would be relevant here since the B vitamins are involved in liver detoxification.

Speaking of liver, if your circadian rhythm problems involve daytime sleepiness, consider the possibility of liver disease, since a healthy liver is required to break down melatonin in the morning.

Fatigued Patients with Chronic Liver Disease Have Subtle Aberrations of Sleep, Melatonin and Cortisol Circadian Rhythms

Interesting, thanks for that link.
My cortisol is definitely high at the wrong times and I get energy and sugar cravings in late evening and past most people's bedtime. This seems to have got worse since higher Bs - perhaps my b12 and folate are running low from extra healing the higher Bs provide?
Whenever my b12 isn't absorbing the sleep cycle goes out the window.

I'm sure my liver is indeed struggling, given the decades of low mineral status etc.
I'm not aware of any damage because the usual full blood count tests are normal, but I doubt that tells much.
I believe the ALT & AST liver tests only change when things have got really serious. Albumin is low normal range.
Ferritin has been too high for years but is slowly going down since copper supplementation.

I'm hoping if there is liver damage, the re-feeding of nutrients will eventually address it but maybe it won't.

The other thing I struggle with is that I thrive on vitamin D from the sun, however if I take even half of a child's dose i.e. 300iu, then I suffer massive folate and potassium loss within a day and as soon as I stop taking D3 and increase magnesium a lot I recover within days.
I'm also fine with narrowband uvb lamp in winter (Sperti). I tolerate it fine and it really helps but it's not quite enough for me i.e. 2,500iu D3 max per day from it, and I'm wary of continuing to use it for fear of skin cancer.
Have you ever heard of this phenomenon? Simply can't tolerate D3 orally yet I did in my 30s, before the health completely collapsed in early 40s.

Sorry, this may not be your area of interest. Not to worry if it isn't.

Athene*

@Athene* I immediately state that in terms of the gravity of the situation they are among the first places. Disabilities and symptoms that started in childhood and not taken into account have led to major damage / shortages in the long run. I think Fred now supports the use of lithium, vitamins, minerals to accommodate the quartet, therefore including copper. I'm wrong ? I don't think it's a wise idea to take huge doses of B12 and folate if we don't actually have the receptors ready in the kidney and intestines. All nutrients would be excreted in the urine or at worst deposited as toxic. At the moment mine is still a really deep crisis, some days you seem to be a rocket and then you think it is the right way seeing the muscles lightly with a tone ... then I have hypotonia and therefore it is the signal that I am again from the beginning. Journey into Fred's group 3 symptoms ... so you can understand hell. I decided to start again with lithium, titling it every day together with MB12 and copper.
That's correct re Fred/lithium. I would start it at the beginning, instead of waiting for years, like I did, due to not being aware of it. I think he said somewhere else to start with minerals, d3, b Complex (low-dose), Vitamin e (full spectrum Gamma e one) etc. etc. so that you have a base built up before the Quartet.

Yes, it can be 'hell' when things suddenly get worse over and over again after periods of well-being. It's been like this for almost 7 years for me.
I had bought a wheelchair and sometimes used it just to escape the house because I was unable to walk.
That was 7 years ago and for the last few years I no longer use it.
I can walk for a short while without crashing two or three days later. I can take care of myself and my husband's meals, domestic stuff etc. Of course he helps but no longer has to do everything or hold me up in the shower. I can work from my laptop for long periods.

It has been worth it, but I have lost too much from this illness misdiagnosed as 'ME' and 'Fibromyalgia' which in this country translates to 'not really ill'.
The decades of low folate and unnecessary steroid inhalers and steroid tablets for 'asthma cough' (which completely disappeared when I began high-dose folate) caused lung cancer (non smoker) which thankfully was removed at an early enough stage not to recur (yet).
That was three years ago and I never cough anymore. The problem with coughing and breathlessness began over a decade before the methylfolate replacement. If only I had known my genetics were preventing me using folate from food properly.
So I guess I'm saying not to give up and that if you intend to follow Fred's experience you could read his post on Quora, for example, which summarises everything well if you read through slowly. It can be difficult to locate his posts. I often use the search box on this site together with his username @Freddd
At the beginning especially you will unfortunately have to continually balance low folate and low potassium.
Often Fred refers to folate 'insufficiency' or 'donut hole insufficiency' which is common at the beginning when people mistakenly take a litte folate, which starts healing, but there's not enough to continue healing and then you crash again.
It took me a long time to move up from 5mg to 20mg of methylfolate and that's when I began to see real improvements.
Then you need to be prepared for the low potassium which follows.
It's not for everyone and I would advise that you follow Fred's answers to other people if you decide his process is likely to help you. The rest of us might get it wrong and set you on the wrong road.
I can share my experience but that's all it is.
I knew his approach would help me when I saw our symptoms matched closely and then I saw my genetics- problems with both folate and b12 absorption and delivery, separately, and my father died at 51 from a 'mysterious' and at the time, 'undiagnosable' disease, which eventually revealed itself to be 'demyelination in brain and spinal cord'.

You mention skin problems- for me that has always been eased by increasing methylfolate and staying on the low dose b Complex (low b1,b2,b3) until copper was sufficient. Only then did higher Bs help me to progress and I'm still trying to balance things with new potassium demand.
Other people don't agree with increasing folate and keeping the 3 Bs low.

Best of luck.

By the way, it just occurred to me that you may not be as much in need of copper as I was. I am also coeliac which interferes with copper absorption, apartfrom the fact that when methylation gets going it can increase need for copper.
So please do make sure to test copper. It's dangerous if you get too much.
And if you have enough copper, you may do better on the higher dose Bs ie B Right.
It's all very complex as you can see.

Last edited:

Athene*

PS
Your message mentioned skin problems, not your post.
I hope some of this post will help you.

Eastman

Interesting, thanks for that link.
My cortisol is definitely high at the wrong times and I get energy and sugar cravings in late evening and past most people's bedtime. This seems to have got worse since higher Bs - perhaps my b12 and folate are running low from extra healing the higher Bs provide?
Whenever my b12 isn't absorbing the sleep cycle goes out the window.

I'm sure you're aware that methylation is required for melatonin production.

I'm sure my liver is indeed struggling, given the decades of low mineral status etc.
I'm not aware of any damage because the usual full blood count tests are normal, but I doubt that tells much.
I believe the ALT & AST liver tests only change when things have got really serious. Albumin is low normal range.
Ferritin has been too high for years but is slowly going down since copper supplementation.

I'm hoping if there is liver damage, the re-feeding of nutrients will eventually address it but maybe it won't.

ALT and AST are markers of liver stress and injury. Once the stress is removed, they usually return to normal.

Liver function may not be affected by short term stress. However, long term stress obviously can affect liver function, and when that happens, relieving the stress, even if ALT and AST reverts to normal, does not necessarily lead to recovery of liver function, at least not immediately.

Albumin is a better indicator of liver health, although it can be affected by many conditions, including something as simple as hydration.

Full blood count tests can be useful as confirmation of liver health, with platelet count being the most important.

The other thing I struggle with is that I thrive on vitamin D from the sun, however if I take even half of a child's dose i.e. 300iu, then I suffer massive folate and potassium loss within a day and as soon as I stop taking D3 and increase magnesium a lot I recover within days.
I'm also fine with narrowband uvb lamp in winter (Sperti). I tolerate it fine and it really helps but it's not quite enough for me i.e. 2,500iu D3 max per day from it, and I'm wary of continuing to use it for fear of skin cancer.
Have you ever heard of this phenomenon? Simply can't tolerate D3 orally yet I did in my 30s, before the health completely collapsed in early 40s.

I consider 300 IU of vit D to be low and safe, so I am really quite puzzled that anyone should be negatively affected by it.

That said, I find vit D to be tricky to supplement in high doses. It needs to be balanced with magnesium, vit A and K. A blood test is usually a good idea with high dose supplementation, although it may sometimes be difficult to get. Sunlight and/or the UV lamp also work but, as you said, need to be wary of skin cancer.

Vit D when taken late in the day can also cause sleeping problems.

Athene*

I'm sure you're aware that methylation is required for melatonin production.

ALT and AST are markers of liver stress and injury. Once the stress is removed, they usually return to normal.

Liver function may not be affected by short term stress. However, long term stress obviously can affect liver function, and when that happens, relieving the stress, even if ALT and AST reverts to normal, does not necessarily lead to recovery of liver function, at least not immediately.

Albumin is a better indicator of liver health, although it can be affected by many conditions, including something as simple as hydration.

Full blood count tests can be useful as confirmation of liver health, with platelet count being the most important.

I consider 300 IU of vit D to be low and safe, so I am really quite puzzled that anyone should be negatively affected by it.

That said, I find vit D to be tricky to supplement in high doses. It needs to be balanced with magnesium, vit A and K. A blood test is usually a good idea with high dose supplementation, although it may sometimes be difficult to get. Sunlight and/or the UV lamp also work but, as you said, need to be wary of skin cancer.

Vit D when taken late in the day can also cause sleeping problems.

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. I must check on the platelets. I don't remember them being highlighted by lab, so hopefully normal.

Can I ask how much vit K do you take? And could you say which vitamin A you use? I use Bluebonnet vit A 10,000iu which is supposedly from fish oil. I eat plenty of oily fish. I use a couple of different K2s, MK7 & other types.

Yes, magnesium has been a real struggle. I have to take so much it's difficult on the gut so I use transdermal as well. I absorb most minerals very poorly eventhough on a strict gluten-free diet for decades. I had some atrophy of stomach lining from pernicious anaemia and hpylori decades ago. Same thing happened to my husband. We don't know who passed it to who or whether we got it independently or whether HPylori might be the cause of pernicious anaemia. I have other folate & b12 issues too. The pernicious anaemia markers were actually much lower than his.

He was quite badly affected by pernicious anaemia for a couple of years until it dawned on me what was wrong with him. GPs were uninterested and had to be pushed to test him. At least he wasn't left that way for decades, like I was.
It's odd how we both had similar issues but he's absolutely flying now and I'm way behind. It's so frustrating but lovely to see him thriving again.

I'm quite restricted in what I can eat between the coeliac & folate situation. Even the tiniest amount of folic acid taken by mistake leaves me with dreadful IBS symptoms followed by fatigue for a few days, not to mention being glutened on occasion.

Do you have any of these issues? Have you managed to restore your health? I still feel I have a long way to go.

Eastman

I am currently taking 400 mcg of vit K2 mk-7 a week and 1 mg of mk-4. I am considering dropping the mk-4 as I suspect it may be over-stimulating liver phase 1 detoxification and, ironically, causing arterial calcification.

Problem is that mk-7 gives me insomnia, I'm hoping that that goes away with time. On the positive side, I seem to be able to cope with less sleep with mk-7.

I take 25,000 IU of Now Foods vit A a week. Not much, as I am not aware of any deficiency symptoms.

Sleep is probably my main problem at the moment, even without the K2. I occasionally take melatonin, but am not sure how much it is helping.

I had similar symptoms recently and couldn't figure it out. Tried switching folate to Quatrefolic. Tried switching carnitines etc. Nothing worked.
I wondered if it was niacin because of the severe skin symptoms..
The thing is for the first few years on Fred's supplements I had to keep B1, B2 and B3 very low. If I ever tried increasing any of them I would feel great but then crash badly after a few days. Fred describes this phenomenon in several posts.
So (bear with me, this relates to niacin etc) about 15 months ago I began supplementing copper (15-20mg daily) and I made huge progress on it. I had already begun lithium orotate a year or more before that so maybe it helped. Even my white hair (for ten years or more) began to grow out dark brown again (I'm in my late 50s and had gradually gone white since my mid 30s). I now have dark brown hair again, among lots of other more important improvements. I take 6-10mg copper for now.
Anyhow, the point is, I started to fail again about two months ago (including the awful skin symptoms you describe and it did seem to be Pellagra as you just said @Eastman. I couldn't figure it out. Then I searched the forum for Niacin and came across a post of Fred's about copper repletion changing the nutrient pathways and at that stage he needed higher doses (as in the B Right Complex) of B1, B2, B3.
I began the B-Right complex with trepidation, given my previous experience with higher doses of B1, B2, B3.
After a couple of days my energy came back and after a couple of weeks the skin was completely healed.
I've no idea how copper interacts with the Bs. @Eastman I'd be interested to hear your take on it.
Hi Athene,

How much zinc were you taking initially? Do you think copper deficiency was the result of high zinc in fred's protocol? Or copper was just an induced deficiency from starting methylation effectively? As Fred explains, is it refeeding syndrome or just that too much zinc demanded more copper?

Did you ever take niacin(nicotinic acid -flush form).. How does it help/hinder methylation differently from niacinamide?

Thanks in advance.

Athene*

I am currently taking 400 mcg of vit K2 mk-7 a week and 1 mg of mk-4. I am considering dropping the mk-4 as I suspect it may be over-stimulating liver phase 1 detoxification and, ironically, causing arterial calcification.

Problem is that mk-7 gives me insomnia, I'm hoping that that goes away with time. On the positive side, I seem to be able to cope with less sleep with mk-7.

I take 25,000 IU of Now Foods vit A a week. Not much, as I am not aware of any deficiency symptoms.

Sleep is probably my main problem at the moment, even without the K2. I occasionally take melatonin, but am not sure how much it is helping.

Interesting info, thanks for that.

Athene*

Hi Athene,

How much zinc were you taking initially? Do you think copper deficiency was the result of high zinc in fred's protocol? Or copper was just an induced deficiency from starting methylation effectively? As Fred explains, is it refeeding syndrome or just that too much zinc demanded more copper?

Did you ever take niacin(nicotinic acid -flush form).. How does it help/hinder methylation differently from niacinamide?

Thanks in advance.
Hi @reallyconfused
I always stuck to max 44mg of zinc because I read Fred's recommendation on that somewhere (he advises 40mg max). I use 22mg pills. Like you say, too much causes a copper deficiency
A few months ago I went to 33mg just in case it hindered copper. (1 and a half of Solgar Chelated Zinc 22mg pills).

I read somewhere just the other day that the non-flush niacin isn't as effective absorption wise. I'm not saying that's something I'm certain of. Maybe look it up.
The flushing went away after a few days anyway.
For years I took the niacinamide form as part of low-dose b-complex and achieved methylation no problem.
Now I've switched to B Right it's the Nicotinic Acid form. I don't see any major problem with methylation yet though I did wonder when I saw it was a different form.
One further, small, improvement since switching to B-Right I noticed today is that for the first time in decades the shallow split in my tongue has healed up.
I am getting more a bit more histamine production the last few days - sneezy, itchy eyes on and off, brief episodes. That's always a low folate sign for me so I'm not sure what's going on. Switching to quarefolic hasn't helped. I'm trying to settle on a carnitine to see if that helps.

Maybe it is to do with niacinamide vs nicotinic acid? @Eastman might know more?

I've also realised I reduced copper too quickly. The gums were reddening slightly again (instead of pale pink), I had fatigue and threatening shingles-burn in the same place I had it last summer. All disappeared by the next day or two when I increased copper again.
Low white cell count always triggers shingles for me & that's quickly fixed with copper for me.
It's all very stressful & doesn't leave much time for enjoyment of life. Still it's better than lying in bed in agony.

Last edited:

Athene*

@Methyl90 you asked me somewhere about migraine.
I was never prone to them but if I go into a very severe methyltrap, which doesn't happen anymore (fingers crossed), then I get a blinding headache with vomiting.

It happened after exercise; or when I tried adding dibencozide in the early days.

Dibencozide still gives me methyltrap five years on, to varying degrees, depending on dose. I'm trying to continue with 10mg weekly/50mg fortnightly dose for CNS healing.

It does create ATP, as you mention above - fantastic increase in energy next few days, once the next day or so fatigue & IBS ends.
Is the constant brief crash doing more damage?
I don't know.