• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Fight is on...Imperial College XMRV Study

K

Knackered

Kurt, don't forget the way that Wessely has spoken about the WPI study when it was first release and McClures comments since the replication. I did not select Wessely as my representative either and the way they have dismissively dealt with the study has been wholly unscientific including over stating the scope of their research. Both parties are being overconfident, both for their own motivations (as a guess, the WPI to keep up interest in XMRV and XMRV/CFS studies so it gets a decent bash and McClure and Wessely to protect reputations and the established psychological zeigeist) I'm not saying the WPI did the right thing, but the discourse is flowing both ways, it would be best if a truce could be agreed and all correspondence between both parties be solely backed up by science and not conjecture or expectation.

I agree with this, at least WPI are going for the biological cause which in mine and many other cases is the correct one.

I woke up this morning with painful knees and a sore throat due to swollen lymph nodes and I feel awful, as I mostly do and we've got that Weasel of a man Wessely trying to fob everyone off saying it's somatization. I fit the Canadian criteria to pretty much 95% and it's those like me who tested positive for XMRV in the WPI trials. For WPI's response I'm greatful.

Edit:

One more thing, as far as I'm concerned it's Wessely and his crew who are rocking the boat, not WPI, WPI did a great study and Wessel's gone out of his way to make them look like idiots. I'm sick of that ass.

anne_likes_red

I can only hope that WPI has some information that we are not yet privy to.

All the more reason for quiet confidence in that case.

I just don't like to see an organisation whose professional application I want to have faith in stooping even slightly closer to Weasley etc's level by reacting to their provocation. ;)
(Even if they're right!)

Nina

Please don't forget that a lot of people asked the WPI to issue a statement directly after the UK study had been published. I definitely appreciate their way of trying to help our community in every way they can. I am not sure if they had made this kind of public statement had it not been for the many indignant patients who asked for help and a public clarification.

CJB

Please don't forget that a lot of people asked the WPI to issue a statement directly after the UK study had been published. I definitely appreciate their way of trying to help our community in every way they can. I am not sure if they had made this kind of public statement had it not been for the many indignant patients who asked for help and a public clarification.

I agree. It was a very necessary PR move, or the UK study publicity would've stood all this time unchallenged.

We'll eventually know the truth and one of these studies is going to be terribly wrong.

anne_likes_red

Yep good point Nina.
They (WPI) are very responsive to their community - on more than just a scientific level.

I hope any further replication studies will follow with scientific debate between the parties though, rather than political potshots. It seems the smoothest way forward...and the best use of energy at this point. :sofa:

starryeyes

Mikovitis: "You can't claim to replicate a study if you don't do a single thing that we did in our study," she said. "They skewed their experimental design in order to not find XMRV in the blood."

This is exactly what I want to hear from Mikovits and others at the WPI, at the NCI and from the Cleveland Clinic if they feel that it's true and they obviously do.

I don't get why any PWC would have a problem with this kind of a statement. If you ask me, the WPI has shown amazing restraint plus they're on our side. I applaud them! :victory:

flex

This is exactly what I want to hear from Mikovits and others at the WPI, at the NCI and from the Cleveland Clinic if they feel that it's true and they obviously do.

I don't get why any PWC would have a problem with this kind of a statement. If you ask me, the WPI has shown amazing restraint plus they're on our side. I applaud them! :victory:

I agree,

the issue is not about the WPI study whatever the findings turn out to mean. It is about the deliberate deception, incompetence, spin and downright obvious fact that the IC study was not a replication study however far you stretch your imagination.

It needs to be highlighted that Wessely and his cronies are a bunch of on the run charlatons.
Wessely is not a scientist or a biologist so why does the government allow him to persist in any scientific debate, and why is his word taken as gospel not only in the UK but by any doctor or medical service that wants to remain ignorant and in denial.

Min

why does the government allow him to persist in any scientific debate, and why is his word taken as gospel not only in the UK but by any doctor or medical service that wants to remain ignorant and in denial.

because it saves the DWP an enormous amount of money in benefits if M.E. patients can be viewed as not really ill, but somatising.

Dx Revision Watch

Suzy Chapman Owner of Dx Revision Watch
Only two posts from 1000!

Levi,

If you needed a list of the 40 odd papers and articles on CFS research that SW has been busily pushing out since 2002 during his alleged "retirement" from CFS research they are listed here (from PubMed)

January 6th, 2010 02:32 PM #330

Suzy

flex

CAN ME AGENDA OR ANY OTHER ADVOCACY GROUP PLEASE HELP ME WITH THE BELOW:

Letter to UK government, WHO,BBC and worldwide press etc etc demanding Wesselys suspension

I am intending on demanding Wesselys immediate suspension from all issues surrounding ME/CFS from the UK government as a public concern and human rights issue with as many signatures as possible from the worldwide ME community. There are 17million of us.

The letters will be sent simultaniously to all major press organisations, medical councils and the WHO.

The letter will be typed on line soon and available for download to be sent from anyone anywhere in the world.

Personal messages welcome.

K

_Kim_

This thread was started January 5th, 2010 02:17 PM
1000-posts.jpg

O4zoR.jpg

valia

Letter to UK government, WHO,BBC and worldwide press etc etc demanding Wesselys suspension

I am intending on demanding Wesselys immediate suspension from all issues surrounding ME/CFS from the UK government as a public concern and human rights issue with as many signatures as possible from the worldwide ME community. There are 17million of us.

The letters will be sent simultaniously to all major press organisations, medical councils and the WHO.

The letter will be typed on line soon and available for download to be sent from anyone anywhere in the world.

A very fitting 1000th post, if I may say so.

Wessely and his kind have to go.

K

kim500

PLoS comments page heats up

There is an interesting reponse to Cleare's article. A former patient of King's says that neither he nor others were ever given the tests Wessely claims he uses for his patients. He has claimed that the I.C. group had been properly screened for physical abnormalities, as is his custom. Not according to his patients! They were given only the basic blood tests, so King's do not exclude patients with the physical signs that are detectable in M.E. This means, of course, that he will have genuine cases of M.E. in his patient sample. So why did he lie when he stated that they had all been screened for a stated list of tests? To impress upon colleagues that he does things by the book, ensuring that his patients are not physically ill? Another sham.This patient says that they were given literature suggesting that their symptoms were the result of deconditioning following a virus, which is then perpetuated by psycho-social factors. Nothing new there then - except the fib. He does not exclude physical illness, just prescribes GET. Dangerous stuff.

The patient concludes by saying: ' I believe the researchers at King's have a strong motive for wishing to contradict the findings of the WPI and judgement on these findings should be withheld until later, less biased tests are conducted.'

So Wessely's patients aren't as satisfied as he claims. What a surprise![/QUOTE]

And Ellen Goudsmit has made a spirited reply directly below the King's patient's comment, and another poster below Goudsmit's post has noted the first UK patient reporting XMRV positive status, with link here to Joy's thread on this forum. Then follows an excellent reply from a researcher openly challenging SW's vested interests and the ridiculous game he and his King's co-authors play in their pathetic list of self-references appended to Cleare's initial post. Quite a brawl going on now in these comments, all comments on PLoS' website to the UK study article itself. See below, same link as above:

http://www.plosone.org/annotation/l...notation/13ea20d1-91e6-49c3-bc4b-8fd1ca18f150

blackbird

caged.
A very fitting 1000th post, if I may say so.

Wessely and his kind have to go.

I feel like I'm just emerging from a bit of a hibernation, and I'd like to help with this.

A valia says though, it isn't just him. Any chance of expanding to the whole cabal? The round robin citation and referencing must be fraud surely?

flex

JUSTICE WILL ALWAYS BE DONE!!

Simon Wessely goes to heaven and meets St Peter at the Pearly Gates. St Peter says, "wait there you are next".
The gates open and Wessely walks in.

The next thing there is an almighty cyclone the likes never seen or heard before by man that passes from heaven, through earth with Wessely inside visible to the worldwide ME community.
He is waved on and jeered by eveyone as the cyclone dumps him into hell!!

Satan appears and says "what happened"?

Wessely looks at him shocked and says:

"I went in to heaven, saw a huge man with a long beard just sitting in a chair waiting for me, so I told him to get of his fat arse and stop somatizing"

flex

I feel like I'm just emerging from a bit of a hibernation, and I'd like to help with this.

A valia says though, it isn't just him. Any chance of expanding to the whole cabal? The round robin citation and referencing must be fraud surely?

There is every chance, but I feel it must be mainly directed at him first and his empire will fall if we keep following up on and on and on. A constant media campaign, with circular emails or letters from everywhere in the world. We are millions strong worldwide, they are a handful behind a few more who have hogged the media spotlight for far too long.

K

kim500

With PLoSONE, we need to claim the high ground right now. The editors and publishers are in the midst of a full review of any possible bias or failure to declare competing interests by Wessely et al. I am in contact with the publisher.

Yes, Levi is quite right.

Did not mean to encourage any reckless posting to PLoS from readers here.

Delightful to read the vigorous comments already posted at PLoS, however.

starryeyes

JUSTICE WILL ALWAYS BE DONE!!

Simon Wessely goes to heaven and meets St Peter at the Pearly Gates. St Peter says, "wait there you are next".
The gates open and Wessely walks in.

The next thing there is an almighty cyclone the likes never seen or heard before by man that passes from heaven, through earth with Wessely inside visible to the worldwide ME community.
He is waved on and jeered by eveyone as the cyclone dumps him into hell!!

Satan appears and says "what happened"?

Wessely looks at him shocked and says:

"I went in to heaven, saw a huge man with a long beard just sitting in a chair waiting for me, so I told him to get of his fat arse and stop somatizing"

That is very funny!