• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The BIG CHASE: funding US ME/CFS non-profits

frenchtulip

Who knew there was a vote exchange site! Thanks for finding it, Doogle. If someone doesn't get set up for the CFIDS Assn. before I do at that site, I'll try to figure it all out. Just too tired tonight.

Dolphin, I think I'll save my 8 votes at Chase to exchange there for the CFIDS Assn., in case they need it. I think the WPI will be fine, but I'll keep an eye on it.

Dolphin

Who knew there was a vote exchange site! Thanks for finding it, Doogle. If someone doesn't get set up for the CFIDS Assn. before I do at that site, I'll try to figure it all out. Just too tired tonight.

Dolphin, I think I'll save my 8 votes at Chase to exchange there for the CFIDS Assn., in case they need it. I think the WPI will be fine, but I'll keep an eye on it.
Yes, I'd think the WPI are very much odds-on to get into round 2 (I'd certainly take bets - I'm not sure up to what percent - 95% anyway), based not just on their current votes but on how voting will continue and their committed voters will probably do what they need to get them over the line if other groups come forward. Also the fact that a lot of the non-profits who are good at getting votes have probably won before.

So given the end is Wednesday week, I think I'll get going exchanging my votes for the CAA in some way. I think I might try my non-ME/CFS FB friends with private messages first (I announced it but judging by the button on Chase where one can see Friends activity, people haven't been doing it).

Doogle

Why isn't PANDORA advertising the Chase Community Giving Contest for WPI and CAA on their front page, or am I just missing it?

I posted an announcement at ProHealth and CFS-INFO. If you can think of other forums, please post announcements there.

jace

Off the fence
If you, like me, want the WPI to win this contest, this page http://getonlinevotes.com/top-10-tips-get-online-votes/ gives tips and this page http://www.contestmob.com/blog/100-ideas-on-how-to-get-votes-for-online-voting-contests/ gives links. To win the big prize, we need to up our game ready for the next round. First round voting ends May 4th, second round is 19th - 26th May. We are likely to get through to the second round, unless we all relax now. Winning the top prize though means doing better than all those healthy kids with loads of facebook friends.

The WPI need the money to get that clinic open and gather some verified results.
Feel free to steal these words, if you're into helping

Chase Community Giving is holding another charity contest, offering a share in $2,500,000 to the 100 charities that receive the most votes from its Facebook fans. The Whittemore Peterson Institute (WPI) for Neuro-Immune Diseases is one of the charities for which you can vote.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uM8Hs1nuk5I&feature=player_embedded#at=142

Anyone can be struck down with MS, ME or lymphoma. You could be next and find there is little funding for your disease. Help us today to win much needed funding on facebook for the Whittemore Peterson Institute.

All you need to do is go on facebook and,
1. Like Chase Community Giving here http://www.facebook.com/ChaseCommunityGiving
2. Go here and vote for the Whittemore Peterson Institute: http://chasecommunitygiving.contextoptional.com/charities/205904991-whittemore-peterson-institute-fo
or search via the Chase search engine

If you are on a mac, Safari hates facebook apps but Firefox works, if you enable third party cookies. Facebook apps is all I use Firefox for.

Please, pretty please would you share with you friends, and then vote for the Whittemore Peterson Institute.
Thank you x

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
The Chase site seems to be having problems, I can't get to the leaderboard and when you type in the name if a charity it doesn't pop up on a list. I hope they can get this cleared up soon, it's tough to advertise this to friends only to show the site down. Thanks for the on-line vote swapping site, this just ramps up the contest for all of us.

Doogle

They could theoretically game the system. Typically the number of votes WPI has is quoted when the exchange is made. If they went to the page then in all likelihood they have voted. There were only a couple of responses that didn't report the number of votes when they stated they voted . I didn't count them as likely to have voted.

How do you know they have voted for the cause you want?

GG

Tuha

I just checked the results. I saw that the difference between WPI and CAA is almost 1400 votes - Is it because of the antipatie against CAA or just the question of publicity? Me, personally, I am not a big fan of CAA but I think we need every dollar. Would the people vote for CAA if CAA would promise for example that all the winning money they will use for the research - I would vote.
I also think we should be able to get WPI on the first place. I think there was a big worldwide publicity and the support is still not so big - where is the problem? The second round will be really important. Now we would get 200 000 USD for the 4 th place but I think we have to try everything possible to get on the first place. We need a good strategy for the second round - there will be only 7 days of voting - so it will be shorter than the first round. So if you have some ideas what to do for the second round to get better, you are welcome. Maybe we can develope some strategies :)

btw. I am a bit surprised that there are not so many organisations which follow the competition - the last year it was much more difficult.

Dolphin

btw. I am a bit surprised that there are not so many organisations which follow the competition - the last year it was much more difficult.
Yes, it is a bit odd. Especially to see how few votes could get one in to the top 100.

There are at least a few issues:
- I think last year's contest was for a month or so?
- A lot of the groups that are good at this have won before
- Only groups that have a turnover of between $1m and $10m are eligible. That is probably a much smaller group than the number of groups with a turnover of under $1m.

I don't think there is much chance that the CAA will pass the WPI in either round 1 or indeed round 2 so I wish more people would also vote for them. A random group with a turnover of over $1m (i.e. if the CAA don't get in and another one does) might be more of a threat to the WPI in round 2.

Hope123

Most people responding on this thread, with the exception of Dolphin, are in the US. I know people were communicating with international ME/CFS groups to vote but how well is that going? I'm under the impression that because it's Chase and might not be known much outside the US or people only see US charities on the list, they assume that only US residents can vote. The title of this thread also says "US" which might deter some people from reading on.

This forum alone has 4,000 members; if 50% of members voted here, at least one of the ME/CFS charities would get 2,000 votes.

It might also be helpful for people to translate the instructions into at least French/ Spanish for non-English speaking voters and post those on non-English ME/CFS group sites. How about ESME?

On the English-speaking side, consider Canada, UK, South Africa, India (any ME/CFS groups?), Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, etc. I think this will be especially important for Round 2.

I hope international division and any competition between ME/CFS groups do not deter groups from cooperating on this. $500,000 for the WPI or CAA for research can do quite a bit for the world and not just the US.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Tuha;174772 Would the people vote for CAA if CAA would promise for example that all the winning money they will use for the research - I would vote./QUOTE said:
The CAA is saying on facebook that the money will be used for research for diagnostics and treatments

helen41

vote trading

I am a contester. I have been trading votes for the Big Chase in smaller, private forums, but tomorrow I'll post in a bigger public group on FB called Bring on the votes. The rule is you vote for everyone on the wall before you post and that can take a couple of hours, but there is very good return, because if people don't help others, they are asked to leave.

Get online votes is useful, but there is little moderation, so some people will post their request and not return to pay people back.

There is another forum called vote exchange http://voteexchange.niceboard.com/f10-vote-exchange-one-time-votes that follows similar rules. You can join under any name, and as you vote for a person and leave them a message that you did, you can simply copy your link into the message and they will be expected to vote back. You are almost assured for every vote you give, you will get one, because they are very strict.

I'll take on the first one, but if anyone else is interested, the vote exchange should produce quite a few votes.

Dolphin

Most people responding on this thread, with the exception of Dolphin, are in the US. I know people were communicating with international ME/CFS groups to vote but how well is that going? I'm under the impression that because it's Chase and might not be known much outside the US or people only see US charities on the list, they assume that only US residents can vote. The title of this thread also says "US" which might deter some people from reading on.

This forum alone has 4,000 members; if 50% of members voted here, at least one of the ME/CFS charities would get 2,000 votes.

It might also be helpful for people to translate the instructions into at least French/ Spanish for non-English speaking voters and post those on non-English ME/CFS group sites. How about ESME?

On the English-speaking side, consider Canada, UK, South Africa, India (any ME/CFS groups?), Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, etc. I think this will be especially important for Round 2.

I hope international division and any competition between ME/CFS groups do not deter groups from cooperating on this. $500,000 for the WPI or CAA for research can do quite a bit for the world and not just the US.
Not dealing directly with all your points but as an example there are instructions in Danish on the ME/CFS Foreningen - Danish ME/CFS Association FB page http://www.facebook.com/#!/mecfsforeningen .

Dolphin

("Non-success story"/Not exciting) I tried my luck 6 hours ago trying to make my own little exchange: I wrote directly to three people, who had posted to the comments feed after they voted for three groups lower in the 100, saying that I'd vote for their groups if they voted. I said they could google my name to see I was a reasonable person. No response so far. I have now written that the offer only lasts 48 hours as I want to offer the votes again to others.

I wish more people with ME/CFS and the like would simply vote for the groups rather than having to spend so much time on such activities.

I've managed to not be seen as a spammer by FB by spacing out how frequently I post the same (or a similar) message on a few dozen walls.