• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Testing methylation, which panel to choose from ELN?

Thinktank

I'd like to know my methylation status so i'm planning to have it tested.
The european laboratory of nutritients in the Netherlands offers two different panels.
Should i better do both panels or just one?
Which other biomarkers should i test for that play a major role in methylation? I want to have my methylation status checked extensively before starting a protocol.
The orderform can be found here: http://www.europeanlaboratory.nl/documents/en/orderform_en.pdf

Mentioned on the orderform:
glutathione (oxidized), glutathione (reduced), S-adenosyl-methionine (RBC), S-adenosylhomocysteine (RBC), tetrahydrofolate (THF), 5-methyl-THF, 10-formyl-THF, 5-formyl-THF, folic acid, folinic acid, folic acid (RBC), adenosine

(sorry it's in Dutch)
Panel 1:
Foliumzuurmetabolieten: Foliumzuur (plasma + RBC), Folinezuur (plasma),
Tetrahydrofoliumzuur (THF, plasma), 5-methyl-tetrahydrofoliumzuur (5-methyl-THF,
plasma), 5-formyl-Tetrahydrofoliumzuur (5-formyl-THF, plasma), 10-formyltetrahydrofoliumzuur
(10-formyl-THF, plasma).

Panel 2:
Methylation panel: Foliumzuurmetabolieten + Methyl-cobalamine (methyl-vitamine B12,
plasma), S-adenesylmethionine (SAM) (RBC), S-Adenesylhomocysteine (SAH, RBC)

Other things i'm planning to check up for methylation at ELN:
Carnitine
16 Vitamin Panel
CoQ10
Lipoic acid
Homocysteine

Not related to methylation:
Neurotramsitters in RBC
Cortisol curve 24h saliva + DHEA
ACTH
Angiotensin II

Helen

@Thinktank
I can only comment on the "methylation panel" that I had before the startup with a methylation protocol, and another one more than a year after. At that time the panel from the sister lab in U.S had one (?) more analysis included. Maybe they are the same today. I choose the lab in US for what I considered good reasons .

I was surprised to see that the reduced glutathion had increased just a little, and was still below reference range. A Lyme diagnose could well explain the extra demand on gluthathione. A reflexion as I read your post about your new diagnosis.

Did you see the "Interpretation guide" of the methylation panel that Richvank posted?

Thinktank

@Helen , i will ask ELN in the Netherlands what the missing biomarker is in comparison to the panel from it's sister lab.

Did your result show any other remarkable findings except reduced glutathione?

Yes i've read Rich's interpretation guide and his opinion of glutathione in lyme disease.
Do you perhaps know if anyone has benefited from IV glutathione to reduce the neurotoxic effects from borrelia or co-infections?

Helen

@Thinktank

You can compare the actual parameters from ELN with those that are analysed in U.S. here
http://www.hdri-usa.com/tests/methylation/

No, just some low and high but nothing remarkable. I think SAMe was low the first time. I had been on and off MeCbl injections for more than 15 years then - maybe that had had a positive impact.

No I haven´t heard of anyone, but a doctor who is a friend of mine suggested IV gluthathione when he heard of my possible Lyme diagnose. But how to get it? Here it is given on ER or at intense care wards (right?) when people have taken too many paracetamol pills that might damage the liver very fast. KDM should have an idea about this treatment, but I don´t think he has embraced the idea of the methylation blockage completely. He surely knows of the benefits of glutathione. Some bright people here are patients of KDM and under treatment for Lyme, maybe anyone of them can tell.