• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Skin symptoms itchy after use of Vitamin B12 injections

jason30

Hi all,

I am now taking 1 or 2 times a week a Vitamin B12 injection. It takes my neuro symptoms away and fatigue, so it definately helps (for a few days).
But some things gets worse, I react more to things in the air. My skin react much more, more itchy in the face and more tight. Also poor eyesight.
Does anybody have a clue? are there things which gets lower in the body after taking vitamin b12?

Thanks.

Violeta

I just read that liver issue makes the skin itchy and also according the traditional Chinese medicine, the eye health is connected to liver health. Then you factor in that B12 is processed by the liver. Maybe it's too much B12 at a time.

jason30

Histaminesb ut unclear as to why. You could take an antihistamine and it will reduce the impact.
I tried some antihistamine before, it helped with histamine symptoms but not with the itchy skin. I was wondering, since b12 tanks potassium. Could potassium give this itchy (dry?) skin?

jason30

I just read that liver issue makes the skin itchy and also according the traditional Chinese medicine, the eye health is connected to liver health. Then you factor in that B12 is processed by the liver. Maybe it's too much B12 at a time.
I was thinking that as well. I can try with lower b12 doses and see how that goes. But still I think there is something in the body that became low after use of b12, like maybe potassium.

Violeta

I was thinking that as well. I can try with lower b12 doses and see how that goes. But still I think there is something in the body that became low after use of b12, like maybe potassium.
Yes, that makes sense.

B12 can make you use up B6 and I looked up B6 and itchy skin and found:
People who don't get enough vitamin B6 can have a range of symptoms, including anemia, itchy rashes, scaly skin on the lips, cracks at the corners of the mouth, and a swollen tongue. Other symptoms of very low vitamin B6 levels include depression, confusion, and a weak immune system.

Last edited:

jason30

Yes, that makes sense.

People who don't get enough vitamin B6 can have a range of symptoms, including anemia, itchy rashes, scaly skin on the lips, cracks at the corners of the mouth, and a swollen tongue. Other symptoms of very low vitamin B6 levels include depression, confusion, and a weak immune system.
Interesting! Thanks Violeta, I check if I can test b6 somehow.

Violeta

Interesting! Thanks Violeta, I check if I can test b6 somehow.
You're welcome but now I am thinking I gave you wrong information and that it's not B12 that makes you need more B6, but instead it is B1 that makes you need more B6. Let me know how it goes.

Learner1

I found that I was breaking out in hives from methylcobalamin injections which were synthesized by bacteria grown in a corn medium -:turns out I'm allergic to corn! Switching to non-corn grown methylcobalamin made the hives go away!

datadragon

You can consider trying a switch to a sublingual methylcobalamin and adenosylcobalamin combo like a seeking health or a drop form, and breaking it up so you dont take ass much, which would also help if there was anything allergic wise related to the shot like learner1 mentioned.

However I just noticed that B12 can lower Zinc, Vitamin A (two nutrients for eyes), Magnesium, Manganese and Chromium in a quick look. https://traceelements.com/wheelindex.aspx Zinc can lead to a lowering of B6.

Note that DAO is involved with histamine break-down, and those nutrients are needed for the enzymes that break down histamine. So you can first try some retinol Vitamin A and add zinc if that doesnt help alone to start.

DAO appears to require many nutrients, so I can see this problem being common even without genetic issues. Copper, whole food vitamin C, magnesium and active vitamin B6 (p5p) not pyridoxine which lowers active B6, b12, iron, zinc all appear to be involved. Usable copper requires ceruloplasmin which if tests low may indicate problems with vitamin A, zinc, magnesium, boron. B6 needs zinc, magnesium, b2 to convert to P5P. https://suzycohen.com/articles/histamine_intolerance_dao_genes_hashimotos/

Taking DAO supplements or Ancestral Supplements Kidney will only affect the amount of histamine in the food and beverage you consume after taking the supplement and this helps in decreasing the total level of histamine within the body (endogenous plus exogenous histamine) by removing the added exogenous food/drink source. http://www.thedailyheadache.com/2014/05/testing-if-your-dao-level-is-low.html When histamine levels inside the body become excessive, DAO, and another enzyme called histamine N-methyl transferase (HNMT) which needs B2 break down the excess and mutations there can cause problems.

It is very important to understand that supplemental DAO and a histamine-restricted diet will not reduce the amount of histamine produced within the body. Some supplements I've taken that I researched and found worked on mast cells to reduce those body levels when lowering food sources and diet arent enough are palmitoylethanolamide (PEA), quercetin, pycnogenol (or the cheaper vitacost pine bark extract), stinging nettle root extract, zinc, vitamin d, source naturals SOD power as well as EGCG work on areas of histamine. Should be noted that taking too much can over inhibit these areas and lower stomach acid. Antihistamine drugs are also over the counter.

Last edited:

Violeta

Yes, that makes sense.

Oh no, I am having anemia symptoms of stiff neck, itchy skin, and nose bleed.
You're welcome but now I am thinking I gave you wrong information and that it's not B12 that makes you need more B6, but instead it is B1 that makes you need more B6. Let me know how it goes.
Wow, I have been taking extra B1 but not B6, plus not eating anything with iron. Very interesting, but isn't it always something?

datadragon

Yes, that makes sense.

Hi Violeta, did you see my earlier above post, "However I just noticed that B12 can lower Zinc, Vitamin A (two nutrients for eyes), Magnesium, Manganese and Chromium in a quick look. Zinc can lead to a lowering of B6."
b1 also lowers zinc.
https://traceelements.com/docs/Zinc Wheels.pdf Zinc is involved with DAO, Note that DAO is involved with histamine break-down above. Zinc is involved with ceruloplasmin production and vitamin A metabolism to increase usable copper and iron. Zinc is involved in conversion of B6 to active form P5P and its entry into the cell. B12/methylation pathways also will be blocked and further lowered from the low glutathione the inflammation under prolonged inflammation and zinc deficiency. Zinc is a glutathione cofactor.

Under inflammation that zinc gets brought into the cell and zinc uptake is also reduced so prolonged inflammation/infection states start all those downstream effects of lowered zinc.

Last edited:

Violeta

Thanks, was just searching to see if you had any extended info about this. I am taking zinc, but maybe not enough. I take a B complex every day and then add in mostly B1 and B5. I had stopped eating meat, so that would lower zinc and iron. Have been eating mostly cheese for protein. Will change that tomorrow.

Do you think working on things from this angle can help reverse inflammation?