• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SAMe (SAM-e) and COMT Supplementation

Lotus97

For the few weeks (maybe longer) I've been more depressed than I have been in a long time. One cause could be due to probiotics I was taking (which have made me depressed in the past). I've found comments from others who have had the same reaction to probiotics.

The other cause I'm looking into is one or multiple supplements recommended by my doctor for COMT. SAM-e (SAMe) and lithium are the main ones I added recently. I'm also getting Betaine hcl from my digestive enzymes. Both TMG (the same as Betaine HCL) and SAM-e have caused depression for some people here.

Another thing is that boosting methylation might have increased inflammation. There are several reasons why methylation can cause inflammation including releasing toxins or boosting the immune system which is then unable to fight the infection. I have Lyme disease and my doctor also thinks I have an issue with mold.

I'm guessing he got the information from the Puregenomics since that's where I submitted my 23andme results. I'm just curious whether this information is accurate given all the misinformation about SNPs that has been uncovered over the past few years.

COMT (Catechol O-Methyltransferase) Val/Met 158

Gene function:
Encodes the COMT enzyme, which metabolizes and detoxifies dopamine, norepinephrine, epinephrine and estrogens.

Effect of the SNP:
This SNP reduces the activity of COMT by up to 4-fold. As a result, dopamine, norepinephrine, epinephrine and estrogens may reach high levels in the body. Alertness, wakefulness, cognitive performance, and occasional sleeplessness and restlessness are common clinical observations reflecting persistent stimulant effects of these neurotransmitters.

Specialized nutritional support:
SAMe, the methyl donor for COMT, may support enzyme stability. Lithium and/or magnesium support relaxation through COMT-independent mechanisms. Hydroxycobalamin is preferable to methylcobalamin in these patients. DIM (diindolylmethane) supports estrogen detoxification through alternate pathways. Avoid COMT inhibitors, such as caffeine, HPA activation, high protein intake, green tea and quercetin supplementation.*

Last edited:

Eastman

The other cause I'm looking into is one or multiple supplements recommended by my doctor for COMT. SAM-e (SAMe) and lithium are the main ones I added recently. I'm also getting Betaine hcl from my digestive enzymes. Both TMG (the same as Betaine HCL) and SAM-e have caused depression for some people here.

SAM-e is a methyl donor and there has been a number of threads recently that discussed the possibility that methylation treatments deplete B1 and B3, deficiencies of which have been associated with depression.

Thiamine nutritional status and depressive symptoms are inversely associated among older Chinese adults.

Vitamin B3 for depression: Case report and review of the literature