• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rotating antivirals???

Hoosierfans

Could use some help for the super knowledgeable folks here. I have reactivated EBV, along with high IGG titers for HHV-6, HSV-1 and Cocksakie B.

I have a PCP and immunologist who, while not well versed in Me / CFS are willing to follow the research and try things that the top ME docs are…

So last month we started Famvir 250 mg 2 x day. The first four days, my severe symptoms went down 30-40%, it was amazing! Then it faded and hasn’t come back. I tried going up to 500 mg 2 x but my suicidal level depression worsened so I backed it down.

I’m wondering if there is any value in:

(A) pulsing antivirals — like 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off or something similar; OR
(B) layering in another antiviral like Valtrex or Valcyte. (Or just switching to those altogether).

(NB we haven’t taken anything to treat the Coxsakie, nor have we crossed into the RNA based antivirals like TAF / TDF)

Wishful

Then it faded and hasn’t come back.
That could be ME's trickery: having something work once or twice, then never working again. I've had that from several treatments. In your case, it might not even be the antiviral effect: those drugs don't bind to only one spot on one virus and don't interact anywhere else, they interact with your body's cells and chemicals too. Maybe the Famvir has some preservative or whatever that interacts with some gland, providing a temporary boost. Maybe the Famvir is killing some phage in your gut, altering your microbiome in a way that provides a temporary benefit, but then some other microbe moves into that niche, stopping the benefit. There are lots of possibilities other than the Famvir actually fighting one of those strains you listed.