• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Prevalence of DSM-IV Personality Disorders in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Controlled S

alex3619

So 16% of the population have personality disorders.It makes me wonder when does someone with a personality that a pscyhiatrist doesn't like become disordered.

I am willing to bet that most who oppose psychiatry or psychiatric treatments, including me, would generally be regarded by most psychiatrist as having a psychiatric disorder. That is easier than confronting the problems in psychiatry, even though most psychiatrists and clinical psychologists are well aware of these problems.

Bob

@Esther12, this is an interesting/helpful research finding.

Roy J. Shephard said:
High scores on neuroticism and low scores on
extraversion were found mainly during periods
when patients were ill, suggesting these findings
were a reaction to CFS rather than precipitating
factors.[79]

79. Buckley L, MacHale SM, Cavanagh JT, et al. Personality di-
mensions in chronic fatigue syndrome and depression. J Psy-
chosom Res 1999; 46: 395-400

http://aula.acemefide.org/cursos/photo/1135712102Chronic_Fatigue_Syndrome_An_Update[1]._By_Shephard__R.J.._Sports_Medicine__Feb2001__Vol._31_Issue_3__p167__.pdf

Last edited: