• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Please sign to help save Millie's life - Royal Lancaster Infirmary must STOP causing Millie harm

Countrygirl

GHlYvhlW8AAHoD7

Countrygirl

More cards.

Millie continues to deteriorate under the inappropriate treatment she is receiving in the hospital. They are not prepared to follow NICE or take advice from doctors who have decades of experience in treating severe ME.

GIPBYFPWMAAm-RQ

Hope_eternal

More cards.

Millie continues to deteriorate under the inappropriate treatment she is receiving in the hospital. They are not prepared to follow NICE or take advice from doctors who have decades of experience in treating severe ME.

GIPBYFPWMAAm-RQ
This is beyond horrific! Is there another hospital she could be transferred to that would treat her better or at least get emergency legal action ? Can’t they see they are failing her? This is heart wrenching!

Even if they think it’s mental health, which we know it’s not! There are laws. https://www.rethink.org/advice-and-...s-and-restrictions/nhs-treatment-your-rights/

The NHS should:
ask you if you agree to treatment,
give you information about treatment choices,
treat you with care and skill,
keep your personal information confidential,
let you see your health records, and
respect your human rights.
NHS staff should follow codes of practice and guidance.
If you think that the NHS has not acted properly, you can complain.
You can take legal action against the NHS if they break the law.

https://www.irwinmitchell.com/perso...lthcare-law/healthcare-and-medical-treatments

What is breach of duty of care?

The health practitioner must have acted in a way which fell short of acceptable professional standards. Known as the ‘Bolam’ principle, this tests whether the actions of the health professional in question could be supported by a ‘responsible body of clinical opinion’. This test is not about what ‘could have been done’ – that other health professionals might have done something differently, but whether it ‘should have been done’ – would a ‘responsible body’ of health professionals support the action taken?

There is also a further test known as ‘Bolitho’. This means that the court should not accept a defence argument as being ‘reasonable’, ‘respectable’ or ‘responsible’ without first assessing whether such opinion is susceptible to logical analysis.

https://resolution.nhs.uk/services/claims-management/advice-for-claimants/

Countrygirl

Millie update.

18 Mar 2024

Millie has an official ME/CFS diagnosis.

On 15/03/24 Dr Weir sent a very clear letter stating that Millie’s diagnosis is ME/CFS and for this to be added to her medical records.

For over a week now Millie has been telling us and the hospital that she feels her body is shutting down and that she is dying. Millie doesn't have the energy to verbalise due to her very severe ME/CFS and in hospital has only cried out in words when under extreme distress.
On Friday 08/03/24 afternoon, Millie verbally stated to her sister that she is going to die and needs to go home.

An NJ tube is planned for Wednesday 20/03/24 and a best interests meeting is on Tuesday to decide if this will go ahead. We believe NJ feeding tubes can be used in the community here but are not 100% certain. However, Millie has stated over the last few days that she feels, as they have made her wait so long, that she is too ill to have the NJ tube and feels she will die before having it.

Leeds and Sheffield hospital ME/CFS departments have been contacted by the hospital however from our research we believe that their main focus is behavioural and psychological instead of the very real and physical illness and symptoms ME presents.

Thank you for all your support and help in spreading awareness about Millie’s case.

Countrygirl

https://bylinetimes.com/2024/03/19/...kUKtBYY2Ydu5mGMdAAhRp90L-pI9Tg-kV0stalV4NM2W0

‘A Rollercoaster Of Awful Emotions’: Family Speaks Out for NHS Overhaul to Prevent Deaths of Severely Ill ME Patients​

Millie McAinsh’s family sought help when the ME sufferer could no longer eat – only for her to to be sectioned
Laura Elliott
19 March 2024

Millie McAinsh before she was diagnosed with M.E.

Millie McAinsh before she was diagnosed with ME. Photo: Millie’s family

Listen to this article
7 min

Listen to this article
7 min

“I feel like I’m going to die”. These were the haunting words of 18-year-old Millie McAinsh, wrongly sectioned and left without care in an NHS hospital.
Before autumn 2019, Millie was a healthy teenager. She loved the performing arts and was excited to attend sixth form and go to university. Then, what started out as a simple virus, became Myalgic Encephalomyletis (ME), and everything changed.
ME – sometimes erroneously referred to as Chronic Fatigue Syndrome – is a multi-system post-viral illness that leaves 25% of its sufferers housebound or bedbound, and 75% unable to work. Its primary symptom is post-exertional malaise – a dramatic increase in neurological and immune symptoms following exertion.
Over the next four years, Millie went from being the “spontaneous and adventurous” person her family knew to being almost entirely bedridden and relying on them for her basic needs.
By last December, Millie was too unwell to feed herself.

In January, she was subsisting on a mainly liquid diet taken through a straw. When this became too difficult, she was admitted to the Royal Lancaster Infirmary.

Millie’s family hoped it would be a brief stay, simply to have a feeding tube fitted that would allow her adequate nutrition, but she was instead placed under a deprivation of liberty safeguarding (DOLS) order. She was subsequently sectioned under the Mental Health Act. That decision was overturned by an emergency tribunal 12 days later.
Her mother and primary carer, Lucy Montgomery, has been banned from visiting – leaving Millie at the mercy of tests that she says are causing her daughter to rapidly deteriorate.

I have been following this thread for updates about Millie. She is very much in my thoughts.

I felt compelled to join the forum to confirm thoughts about Sheffield and Leeds having a strong behavioural and psychological slant.

I was diagnosed with ME/CFS in 2011 by Dr Marc Randall at Sheffield. The onset of my symptoms was severe, and I was unaware of the history of ME/CFS. I had to go home and look up some phrases Dr Randall used when informing me of my diagnosis. He mentioned functional, plus a software, not a hardware problem. He also asked questions around possible trauma in my life.

Dr Marc Randall has now been a Consultant Neurologist at Leeds for a number of years.

Although I was diagnosed in 2011, I have no reason to believe that anything has changed at Sheffield. A relative is now a Clinical Psychologist there. In the spirit of helping a family member with ME/CFS, and not in a professional capacity, it was suggested that I read Professor Jon Stone’s ‘excellent patient-led neurosymptoms’ website. For anyone not familiar with the website, I am not recommending it as a helpful resource for people with ME/CFS.

I feel absolutely disheartened that the biopsychosocial approach is still very prevalent throughout the NHS in 2024.

Millie update.

18 Mar 2024

Millie has an official ME/CFS diagnosis.

On 15/03/24 Dr Weir sent a very clear letter stating that Millie’s diagnosis is ME/CFS and for this to be added to her medical records.

For over a week now Millie has been telling us and the hospital that she feels her body is shutting down and that she is dying. Millie doesn't have the energy to verbalise due to her very severe ME/CFS and in hospital has only cried out in words when under extreme distress.
On Friday 08/03/24 afternoon, Millie verbally stated to her sister that she is going to die and needs to go home.

An NJ tube is planned for Wednesday 20/03/24 and a best interests meeting is on Tuesday to decide if this will go ahead. We believe NJ feeding tubes can be used in the community here but are not 100% certain. However, Millie has stated over the last few days that she feels, as they have made her wait so long, that she is too ill to have the NJ tube and feels she will die before having it.

Leeds and Sheffield hospital ME/CFS departments have been contacted by the hospital however from our research we believe that their main focus is behavioural and psychological instead of the very real and physical illness and symptoms ME presents.

Thank you for all your support and help in spreading awareness about Millie’s case.

Blazer95

..and we built castles in the Sky.
Wow, this is so harsh I get so angry I wish I could yell at some of those medical "professionals".

This truely reminds me that most doctors are as intelligent as apes throwing poop at each other and dont deserve my respect.

Thanks for keeping us updated. It's traumatizing to read and makes me wanna puke.

BrightCandle

medical "professionals".
I refuse to use that word now, professionalism is the process of learning and growing your knowledge and that simply doesn't apply to the majority of NHS staff. Its a healthcare industry its not a profession, its a business with lots of free propaganda based marketing in TV shows. People know that police TV shows are fiction because their reality in dealing with the police and the press catching them in the act keeps people informed but they aren't aware of the same in medicine.

I just have no idea how to help all these people being abused in hospitals. We need to take legal action against the entire NHS for ME mistreatment I think its the only way.

Blazer95

..and we built castles in the Sky.
Its so hard to read. Thanks for keeping us Up to Date.

Edit: because i am so sorry for her and i dont know what to do i wrote an email. i didnt mention her name for safety measures. I just wrote about royal lancester infirmary.

1712238200578.png

Sidenote: english isn't my mother tongue so i hope this works out.

Last edited:

Countrygirl

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/health/severe-killing-me-doctors-wont-32491644

EXCLUSIVE:

'I can't walk, talk or eat - doctors don't believe what's wrong with me and I think I'm going to die'

Millie McAinsh says she's 'constantly hurting' and claims doctors 'won't listen' to her wishes. The distressed teen is believed to be suffering with ME, a debilitating illness that is often misunderstood
Millie in hospital lying down with an eye mask on and her teddy

Millie is 'constantly hurting' and fears she could die (
Image: Supplied)

By
Ellie Fry Deputy Online Features Editor
  • 15:48, 4 Apr 2024
  • UPDATED15:57, 4 APR 2024
A hospitalised teen who is unable to walk, talk or eat fears she is going to die because doctors don't agree that she has ME.
Millie McAinsh, 18, says she suffers from ME that is so acute that she can't walk or sit up and struggles to speak or swallow. Even the smallest sensations like touch, noise and light unbearable, as her sensory hypersensitivity leaves her in agony.
"I feel like I'm dying. I'm constantly hurting. I'm in agony and they are not listening to me," she said of her ordeal, which she describes as 'torture'. "I can't take it anymore. I need to go home."
Millie has been diagnosed privately with severe myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), and was admitted to hospital in January to get a feeding tube fitted after her condition deteriorated and she stopped being able to swallow food or liquids............................................