• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Phenibut - Is it corrosive like GHB?

Guwop2

I plan to try Phenibut at a low dose as some people here have claimed it has helped them.

However, ive heard it compared to GHB, which ive also read about in that it includes a chemical make-up similar to paint stripper. Ive heard of people even consuming nail polish remover because it contains GHB (or GBL...i dont know the difference).

My issue is that my health condition makes me extremely sensitive to corrosive/toxic substances. For example I avoid flouride toothpaste, all alcohol, and I avoid using hand sanitizer because the anti-bacterial substance triggers my symptoms if accidentaly ingested (just to name a few things). My gut health essentially needs to be taken care of in a significant way...this is all to ask whether the chemical make-up of Phenibut HCL is a chemical that can be considered corrosive to the stomach/gut. Ive taken pharmacuetical pills in the past -the usuals such as paracetomol, or beta blockers, anti-depressants, and they are made fit for human consumption, however I know nothing about phenibut. Is it fit for human consumption? Any helpful thoughts would be appreciated.

junkcrap50

This says Phenibut HCl is highly caustic: https://psychonautwiki.org/wiki/Phenibut#Toxicity_and_harm_potential
Phenibut has a low toxicity relative to dose. However, it is potentially lethal when mixed with depressants like alcohol, benzodiazepines or opioids.

Phenibut hydrochloride is highly caustic and in sensitive users can cause intestinal discomfort and diarrhea with some lower digestive tract bleeding.[citation needed]

Due to the extremely long come up period relative to other substances, some users may experience an urge to redose out of the belief that it is weak or not working. This should be avoided to prevent overdose.

It is strongly recommended that one use harm reduction practices when using this substance

Seadragon

I think I remember reading that it can be addictive and difficult to withdraw from so be careful.

Guwop2

I may not even try it considering how caustic it is, though if you add bicarb of soda it can apparently alter its caustic/ph profile

katabasis

Phenibut is definitely somewhat caustic, in part due the low pH of the HCl salt which it is usually sold as. Some places also sell the 'free amino acid' version, which is supposedly less caustic. As @Guwop2 mentioned, you could theoretically create the free amino acid in situ by taking it with a molar excess of sodium bicarbonate (a 1/2 tsp should be more than enough). But even then, it still may give you problems.

I think part of the issue is that an active dose of phenibut is quite large - most people take 1 or more grams, and most exogenous chemicals will be irritating in these quantities. Phenibut belongs to a category of drugs known as 'gabapentinoids', and I think most of the other ones would be better alternatives since their dosage is usually lower. Perhaps the closest to phenibut would be fluoro-phenibut, which is about 5-10 times as potent, and has similar mechanisms of action - mostly blocking α2δ calcium channels and activating GABA-B receptors, though it leans more towards the latter than phenibut itself. Personally, I find gabapentin itself to be remarkably good at symptom control, though with all gabapentinoids tolerance is an issue.

Guwop2

Perhaps the closest to phenibut would be fluoro-phenibut, which is about 5-10 times as potent, and has similar mechanisms of action - mostly blocking α2δ calcium channels and activating GABA-B receptors, though it leans more towards the latter than phenibut itself. Personally, I find gabapentin itself to be remarkably good at symptom control, though with all gabapentinoids tolerance is an issue.
The supplier Ive found in UK also sells this, and though it's a bit more expensive and I may try it since faa (free-amino acid) pheninut isnt available. However, Flouro-Phenibut seems to be more of a downer, making you drowsy, which ive read regular phenibut doesnt do and I'd prefer not to feel dopey.