• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

O3 and the Microbiome: the Next Frontier

ljimbo423

The role of the gut microbiome in both health and disease, I feel, is profoundly underestimated. I think a dysbiotic gut microbiome is often what triggers many chronic diseases.

I think genetics make people vulnerable (They load the gun so to speak) but a dysbiotic gut is what "pulls the trigger". It's well established that the gut plays a huge role in how our immune system functions.

The complexity of how the gut modulates our immune systems is still very, very, poorly understood. Thankfully there are many ME/CFS researchers looking into this rate now.

Hip

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2019.02890/full

Hello, I found this paper. Although this paper is mainly about toxicity of ozone inhale, it says something very, very interesting. I think paragraph "O3 and the Microbiome: the Next Frontier" is worth reading.

I don't see how this has any bearing on ME/CFS or related conditions. Ozone is created when air pollutants like car exhaust are exposed to sunlight. So most of us have some exposure.

Ozone has undesirable effects when breathed in via the lungs, but can have beneficial therapeutic effects when applied transdermal or rectally (I've found benefits from ozone, using my easy ozone administration method).

Last edited:
I don't see how this has any bearing on ME/CFS or related conditions. Ozone is created when air pollutants like car exhaust are exposed to sunlight. So most of us have some exposure.

Ozone has undesirable effects when breathed in via the lungs, but can have beneficial therapeutic effects when applied transdermal or rectally (I've found benefits from ozone, using my easy ozone administration method).
from paper "Together, our data support a role for the gut microbiome in pulmonary responses to O3. Whether the gut microbiome also contributes to the metabolic changes observed after O3 exposure and whether O3 itself has the capacity to alter the gut microbiome remains to be established."

I thinks this paper indicated possibility of interaction between ozone and gut microbiome.

I read that bit, but I don't think the pulmonary response to ozone is in any way related to ME/CFS.

"Whether the gut microbiome also contributes to the metabolic changes observed after O3 exposure and whether O3 itself has the capacity to alter the gut microbiome remains to be established"

It means this experiment shows there are possibility that interaction between ozone and gut microbiome. At least researchers are starting to think they need to study the possibility of 'whether O3 itself has the capacity to alter the gut microbiome remains to be established' after this paper.