• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SWAlexander

The manuscript on ME/CFS published in Nature Communications provides irrefutable evidence for the biological nature of the disease. Evidence shows that it is a multi-systemic disease. Major findings in support of this are: evidence of persistent immune activation in the blood and cerebrospinal fluid with differential effects in men and women, abnormalities on functional MRI of the brain, metabolic abnormalities in the cerebrospinal fluid, neurotransmitter abnormalities, oxidative stress in muscles, altered lipids with differential effects in men and women, altered gut microbiome, and dysautonomia. These findings suggest several potential therapeutic targets. The absence of structural abnormalities suggest that the course of the illness could potentially be halted or reversed. Further, a few patients who met all the criteria for ME/CFS and had been diagnosed with the disease were found to have other underlying diseases. It is important to follow these patients to make sure that another illness does not manifest itself.
https://www.nih.gov/mecfs/nih-intramural-mecfs-study-qa