• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neuropathy flare on antivirals?

cfs since 1998

Only a week on valacyclovir (Valtrex), 500mg twice a day, and peripheral/small fiber neuropathy flaring big time. Seems to keep getting worse every day so will have to stop. Happen to anyone else?

cfs since 1998

I get the exact same reaction / flare of neuropathy on herbal antivirals or antibiotics. Very weird.
How frustrating that things that can help make us worse. If it was other symptoms I would be willing to keep going, but it's very hard to reverse nerve damage after it happens.

Tammy

Only a week on valacyclovir (Valtrex), 500mg twice a day, and peripheral/small fiber neuropathy flaring big time. Seems to keep getting worse every day so will have to stop. Happen to anyone else?
Could you consider taking 500mg a day to see how your body does on that dosage? If that doesn't work, start on 500 mg every other day,,,,,,,,,,etc.

Even with herbal anti-virals, I had to start with very low dosage and would adjust dosages as my body adjusted.

cfs since 1998

Could you consider taking 500mg a day to see how your body does on that dosage? If that doesn't work, start on 500 mg every other day,,,,,,,,,,etc.

Even with herbal anti-virals, I had to start with very low dosage and would adjust dosages as my body adjusted.
I'm going to stop everything for awhile and give my nerves a chance to repair themselves. After a break yes, maybe I'll try like 100mg/day.

The same has been happening on famvir. It started on my ear and nose and stopped after a few weeks and now it's in lower spine. Im taking it as a good sign but it may not be 😬

cfs since 1998

Well I've been trying 1mg (yes, one milligram, though standard dose is only 25mg) of TAF for a week and same thing. Numbness and tingling has increased another notch. So frustrating.