• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mitochondra in ME/CFS

Frunobulax

I don't feel that my ME is viral related. Viral infections do make my symptoms worse, but then it goes back to baseline. I think I've only noticed two viral infections since 2001.

Prednisone affects the immune system...and also does many other things. T2 (3-5 diiodothyronine) takes part in RNA transcription...and does many other things. Cuminaldehyde...no idea.

The viral theory is that there is some underlying virus affecting the immune system that is unrelated to the acute viral infections. So even though you'll return to baseline, you'll be more susceptible to viral infections and they may take longer to overcome.

But then I think there are many different pathomechanisms to ME. It might be viral for some of us, but not for all.